Finale 2006

Has anyone purchased Finale 2006 yet?
And if you have, is it compatible with VDL2?
The 2006 version comes with Kontakt Player
and something named Garritan Professional Instruments.
Before I upgrade and have to engage another
learning curve of new items, I'd like to see if
anyone has put together Finale 2006 with
VDL2.  I look forward to your responses.

Thanks!
NHF
Wait...this just hit me...does this mean that with Kontakt 2, I can use GPO sounds for flutes, clarinets, and brass, use VDL for drumline and percussion, and use the Make Music sound synth to play saxes, all in the same file???  If so I am in heaven!  That will definitely get me by until the new GPO sounds come out.
[quote author=Dave Hoffman link=topic=742.msg2982#msg2982 date=1123216803]
Wait...this just hit me...does this mean that with Kontakt 2, I can use GPO sounds for flutes, clarinets, and brass, use VDL for drumline and percussion, and use the Make Music sound synth to play saxes, all in the same file???  If so I am in heaven!  That will definitely get me by until the new GPO sounds come out.
[/quote]
Yep!
Since Finale 2006 allows you to load NI plug-ins in banks (each bank containing 16 midi channels), you'd load an instance of Kontakt 2 into the bank for channels 1-16. In that instance of K2, you'd load your desired GPO sounds, and maybe sax sounds from the MakeMusic soundfont. Then, load another instance of K2 into the second bank (channels 17-32), and load your desired VDL2 sounds into that.

Doing it this way, you won't get have the good fortune of seeing the groovy VDL2 interface (:)), but since K2 will allow for more MIDI-Out channels than Kontakt Player, it'll be more efficient.

Keep in mind, loading tons of instruments like this will be placing a considerable strain on your CPU, and I haven't heard much yet about how reliable Finale's AU/VST hosting performs. But, if you wanted a way to have everything self contained within Finale 2006, that's one way to do it!

It would be helpful if Finale 2006 allowed you to play certain channels from the SoundSynth, and other channels from NI plug-ins, but from what I understand, you have to choose between one or the other.

Hope this info helps.
Login or Signup to post a comment