Playback loop in Finale

Sometimes during playback Finale will freeze, repeating a bar or so of sounds. Finale becomes unresponsive. This seems particularly likely to happen If I playback using the space bar as opposed to the Playback controls, but it occaisionally happens regardless.

I'm usually able to stop it by going into the Kontakt 2 Setup menu and turning MidiYoke1 'off'. After this Finale sometimes stops after a few seconds (I'm using the Finale SmartSynth synthesizer sound). Sometimes it doesn't, and I have to force a shut-down of Finale and restart - quite the pain, especially if I've done much since my last save!

Is this simply a CPU load issue? I'm pretty sure there is no midi loop, Finale's MIDI input is my USB controller, Output is Midiyoke 1 (and Smartsynth under advanced for Channel 17) MIDI Thru is set to 'smart'. I am playing back a full score with lite battery instruments and standard keyboard instruments, mostly loaded into RAM. (0.59 Gb loaded into RAM on the Kontakt 2 meter)

Any Suggestions?

jD

Athlon XP 3200+
2 GB RAM
Windows XP MCE
Duel 6600's in SLI
WD 7200 rpm 250 Gig SATA HD
Finale 2006
Kontakt 2
VDL:2
jD,
It sounds like you've got t setup that's working, but there are glitches from time to time. I'm wondering if the hang-ups are happening during particularly dense polyphonic sections. If so, it could be CPU related...easiest way to tell is to position Kontakt 2 in a way so you can watch its CPU monitor while you're playing back. If it's maxing out, then that could be the issue. If indeed there are issues in regard to playback via spacebar vs. playback controls, I would check into the Finale forums and see if there's any hint of that happening elsewhere.

However, if you're looking for suggestions, I might offer that it might be worth hosting Kontakt 2 within Finale 2006. I'm not sure if this will help or hinder your performance, but in theory, it'd be a more tidy way of playing back. Just make sure the Kontakt 2 VST version is copied into your FinaleVST folder, so you'll see it as an option to host within Finale. Then load the multi (percussion) you've been working on into the first bank. You can also host the SmartSynth via Kontakt 2, since it's essentially a Soundfont bank. Simply locate the soundfont by browsing for it in Kontakt 2 (not sure where it's located, but I believe it's named synthgms.sf2), and load your instruments there. That way it'll give you a way to host all your VDL2 sounds as well as SmartSynth sounds within a couple instances of K2, hosted in Finale). Doing it this way would negate the need to set anything for a ";midi out"; in Finale's midi setup...just set it to 'none.'

I realize this suggestion may change the method in which you're used to doing things, so consider it just that...a suggestion. Since I'm not much of a Finale expert, I'm not always up to speed on what their current quirks are with 2006. I did just hear they released a maintenance update (2006b) today. It's probably worth updating.
Wow, interesting idea - that hadn't occured to me. I'll give that a shot (pun intended) and report back.
I do not use Midiyoke, but when I first started using my Mac Mini 1GB and VDL 2 I had that same problem.  I would get to a really polyphonic section and then sound like a broken record.  Since I upgraded all my music and music production to my iMac G5, I do not have any of that problem.  I was able to solve that problem using my Mac Mini by adjusting polyphony #'s. - HOPEFULLY that make sense and helps.  :)

The only problem I have now is sometimes When I am using Bidule, While using the DLS Music service for my band part playback (while writing in Finale), if I get to a particularly dense section with a lot of polyphony and stop it while it plays back that will just hang......until I go into the DLS and change the soundfont I use for it, and then back.  I figure that is a Bidule DLS thing or the Make Music GM sound font.  Correct me if I am wrong.  I only end up using it when I am arranging with band scores - so it doesn't bug me that much. 

Hope everyone has/had a [b]HAPPY HOLIDAYS!![/b].
[quote author=Coach link=topic=917.msg3715#msg3715 date=1135435075]
The only problem I have now is sometimes When I am using Bidule, While using the DLS Music service for my band part playback (while writing in Finale), if I get to a particularly dense section with a lot of polyphony and stop it while it plays back that will just hang......until I go into the DLS and change the soundfont I use for it, and then back.  I figure that is a Bidule DLS thing or the Make Music GM sound font.  Correct me if I am wrong.  I only end up using it when I am arranging with band scores - so it doesn't bug me that much. 

Hope everyone has/had a [b]HAPPY HOLIDAYS!![/b].
[/quote]

You're right, it does sound like a Bidule/DLS thing. If you're wanting to use the MakeMusic soundfont for wind playback, it can also be loaded directly into Kontakt, alongside any VDL2 instruments you have loaded there as well. Might be a cleaner way to go with all sounds being triggered from the same playback module rather than breaking them up in Bidule.

Happy holidays to you as well!
Thanks, Jim!!  I will try that.
Login or Signup to post a comment