Do I need a midi keyboard to be able to use this

Thanks for helping me get the program running but i still have a couple questions.  I don't have a midi keyboard and i was reading some other posts with notation problems, is there anyway i can get the sounds on the black keys notated into sibelius without having to do it by midi keyboard.  I tried to just make the note flat to do this but didn't work.  Please help me out
For those that won't spring for the keyboard, there's always Bome's.

http://www.bome.com/midi/keyboard/

But save your pennies and get a real keyboard.  You'll be glad you did.  It's about as different as clicking on a qwerty keyboard on your screen vs. typing.
Mac OSX users can use a slick program by Corey Peterson called [b]VDLmidi[/b]. It's available at:
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/19899

Does the Bome keyboard float on top of the notation program to allow it (the notation program) to be active? In theory, you'd think it'd be possible to use the on-screen VDL2 keyboard, but because that means leaving Sibelius (for example) to make VDL2 the foreground app, the notation app ends up in the background, making it inaccessible for entry.
Yep.  Options > Stay On Top.
[quote author=drumcat link=topic=958.msg3901#msg3901 date=1137110639]
Yep.  Options > Stay On Top.
[/quote]
Good to know. Thanks Mat!!
i got this bome's keyboard thing to work now and it's linked with VDL2 because it's making the sounds of the instruments based on what loaded and the channels and whatnot.  The problem is getting the notation on sibelius, like im pressing buttons on the keyboard trying to get the sounds to notate onto the program but their just not.  I don't think this bome keyboard thing is linked with sibelius, i tried to link it like you would a normal keyboard but it didn't work
[quote author=RFDrummer05 link=topic=958.msg3920#msg3920 date=1137190451]
i got this bome's keyboard thing to work now and it's linked with VDL2 because it's making the sounds of the instruments based on what loaded and the channels and whatnot.  The problem is getting the notation on sibelius, like im pressing buttons on the keyboard trying to get the sounds to notate onto the program but their just not.  I don't think this bome keyboard thing is linked with sibelius, i tried to link it like you would a normal keyboard but it didn't work
[/quote]

You may need to see if there's a Bome setting for it to send MIDI output to other programs. If so, enable that, then check to see if it appears as an INPUT device within Sibelius.
In Sibelius:

Play > Playback and Input Devices, Input Device tab.�� Select a MIDI Yoke, like #4.

In Bome's:

Midi Out.�� Select matching MIDI Yoke, like #4.

To hear notes in Sibelius when you click in a note:

Play > Playback and Input Devices, Playback Devices tab.�� Under a different MIDI Yoke number, like #7, click on a ";use"; switch to go from No to Yes.��

On Kontakt Player, File > Setup, click the MIDI button, click the corresponding different MIDI Yoke (like #7) number's switch from Off to On.

You also may want to within Sibelius, Play > Playback and Input Devices, click the Play in Background button, and choose the ";Always"; radio button to make sure that it does play in the background.�� Also, File > Preferences, select Note Input from the enumerated list, and look for ";Editing";.�� Leave a check in ";Play notes as you edit";.
[quote author=Jim Casella link=topic=958.msg3893#msg3893 date=1137101844]
Mac OSX users can use a slick program by Corey Peterson called [b]VDLmidi[/b]. It's available at:
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/19899

Does the Bome keyboard float on top of the notation program to allow it (the notation program) to be active? In theory, you'd think it'd be possible to use the on-screen VDL2 keyboard, but because that means leaving Sibelius (for example) to make VDL2 the foreground app, the notation app ends up in the background, making it inaccessible for entry.
[/quote]

You can also just make the Sibelius window smaller, perhaps bring it down from the top of the window, and place the VDL:2 window in that space and you can access both of the programs at the same time. I find this easiest for myself.
Login or Signup to post a comment