RESULTS! - VDL Parking Lot Composition Contest

[center][url=https://www.tapspace.com/vdl2/contestresults.html][img]https://www.tapspace.com/images/VDLlotWinner.jpg[/img][/url]
The results are in! We would like to thank and congratulate all applicants on their outstanding level of imagination and dedication to creating new drumline compositions with Virtual Drumline. Without further delay, [b][url=https://www.tapspace.com/vdl2/contestresults.html]here are the results[/url][/b] of the Virtual Drumline Parking Lot Composition Contest.[/center]

In a few days, you will be able to purchase the winning piece, [i]Billy Goat's Milk[/i] from our webstore.
Congratulations to Fred Emory Smith for being named the grand prize winner!
Congrats Fred, Jesse and John!  Also, a big congrats to Tapspace on running a fun and interesting contest.  I hope you repeat this contest in the future, it was a blast.  Maybe in the future a contest can be extended to concert percussion compositions and other genres.

Gabe
Nice work Fred- Billy Goat's Milk has some sweet timing changes!
Howdy all!

Just wanted to say how much I dig [b]all[/b] of the applicants' submissions - especially - Fred's, Jesse's, and John's works - all I can say is WOW - what great stuff!�� Congratulations again to the Fred and the runner ups!

Peace,
anande5
[b]Great[/b] stuff guys.
If anybody is interested, the sheet music to my entry Synesthesia is here. . .

http://oncampus.richmond.edu/~dcollin2/pdf's/15_16%20Ram.pdf

-Deano
Looks like I'm the meat in a Jesse Mattson sandwich!�� Congrats Jesse and mmmmmmFREDRICK!!!!!�� Congrats to everyone else too!  Deano, I never would've guessed that your piece was in 15/16, it flowed so well!

John
[quote author=John Max McFarland link=topic=1019.msg4254#msg4254 date=1141323355]
it flowed so well!

John
[/quote]

Thanks. I liked [b]all[/b] the entries myself. Crazy Eights was my personal fav though.

A bigupyaself to the Tapspace crew for hosting it!

</brownnosing>

--Deano
LOTS of cool things submitted guys!  Congrats to all!!!!
Billy Goat's Milk...udderly delightful
I'm surprised that noone's ever thought to backmask one of the ";standards."; I mean, I have to believe that there's a veritable [i]slough[/i] of parking lot familiars that'd sound pleasantly cacophonous in reverse. And who knows; given the method, maybe Fat Mama Dancin' would actually sound NORMAL. (I mean that as a compliment, btw, and am only half serious about the backmasking thing).

In any case, had [i][b]I[/b][/i] participated, I think I would have named my contribution ";Pocket Pool,"; in fond rememberance of my high school chemistry teacher, Mr. Weiczorek, whose skin-tight Dockers daily revealed how awkwardly under-clad a professional man's lower torso can be in full public view, so long as he can solve differential equations, smile and light the Bunson burner.
    Sorry to here about your science teacher's unfortunate exposures Marsha N. But, if I understand you correctly, you are refering to pieces that have been inverted, and played exactly backwards from the ";end"; to the ";beginning";.
    You should check out Carolina Thunder's 2001 presentation of ";The Overture to Candide";. The overture is 4 minutes long when played normally. The group played the piece entirely backwards for the first portion of the show, and then played the overture forwards with a ";normal"; arrangement for the latter half. 
    Anyway, congrats to ALL the submitted pieces. I have gotten so much out of listening to all of them! I have them on my Ipod, and am constantly sponging all the unique ideas. I have gained a new concept from EVERY piece.
    It's great to know that there is so many talented percussive composers out there, and that now we have been given a TOOL to help express our ideas! Thanks so much to Tapspace for a great contest, and an UNBELIEVABLE program. I hope that you will do this again, I will definently be there!
[quote author=DanTaylorJr link=topic=1019.msg4334#msg4334 date=1141965969]
�� �� ��Sorry to here about your science teacher's unfortunate exposures Marsha N.[/quote]

Naw, it's not like that.

He was good people. Used to ride this ten-speed bike to work every day that HAD to have been built in, like, the 1800's. I can navigate the periodic table with some amount of competence, though, thanks to him, and I guess that that could prove useful some day.

[quote author=DanTaylorJr link=topic=1019.msg4334#msg4334 date=1141965969]But, if I understand you correctly, you are refering to pieces that have been inverted, and played exactly backwards from the ";end"; to the ";beginning";. [/quote]

It was really just a passing thought, but yeah, I'm mildly curious to see if, in the right hands, a phrase or two of backmasking could sell. I don't have any way to check, but it seems like a safe bet that one of the ultra-recognizable pieces -- like Ditty, or Martian Mambo, for instance -- would make sense to enough of the listening population to at least warrant its being there. I don't know if it'd actually SOUND cool, though. Maybe if the composition ";pointed"; to it, alluded to it somehow, or at least dropped a couple of hints. But who knows; (if I ever write anything), I write with pencil and paper.

[quote author=DanTaylorJr link=topic=1019.msg4334#msg4334 date=1141965969]You should check out Carolina Thunder's 2001 presentation of ";The Overture to Candide";. The overture is 4 minutes long when played normally. The group played the piece entirely backwards for the first portion of the show, and then played the overture forwards with a ";normal"; arrangement for the latter half.[/quote]

Thanks for the suggestion, yo.

Did it sound inspired/ing, or was it one of those overtly academic musical maneuvers that looks sweet on paper and then sounds like a gaggle of senior citizens falling down a hill?

[quote author=DanTaylorJr link=topic=1019.msg4334#msg4334 date=1141965969]Anyway, congrats to ALL the submitted pieces ...��It's great to know that there are so many talented percussive composers out there, and that now we have been given a TOOL to help express our ideas!
[/quote]

Agreed.

Thank you all very much.  Everyone did an outstanding job!  Thanks to Tapspace for making this all possible.  Take care everyone!

sorry for the late reply
Jim - are you planning on having another composition contest?  If you are, when are you thining of running it (fall? spring?)?

...sending mojo to the boys in green from central Kentucky...
Login or Signup to post a comment