Saxophone sounds for Ex-Finale/Now Sibelius and Kontakt 2 users
Legacy Forum Post
started a topic
about 16 years ago
So, I was determined to find the most inexpensive way (for the time being) to get decent sax sounds. I found a solution to the problem, and it will be helpful for anyone else who might be a Sibelius convert from Finale 05/06, uses Kontakt 2 and is looking for some marginal sax sounds.
If you actually meet those terms, you can use the SoftSynth sounds, which would should prove at least a little bit better than the general MIDI sounds. To accomplish this, follow these steps:
1) Copy soundfont file to where the rest of your samples are. This is not required, but simply makes them easier to locate. The softsynth sounds are located in the following directory: Finale 2005/6 > Component Files > synthgms.sf2
2) Open Kontakt and find the synthgms.sf2 where you copied it. Click on that file in the top pane (container) of the browser.
3) Find the various saxophones (or whatever instruments you choose) in the middle pane (objects) and drag them onto the main area (virtual rack). We'll use alto sax for these purposes.
4) Click Load/Save > Save > Alto Sax
5) For convenience, save the new instruments in a folder with the rest of your instruments.
6) Do a rebuild > update so that Kontakt can ";see"; the samples.
7) Start using! :)
I realize that the requirements to do this are relatively exclusive, however I also know that I am one of many people who have ";seen the light"; and converted to Sibelius, while still owning Finale. This will be a ";free"; alternative for those of you who already have the resources available. I just got tired of hearing those awful midi sounds with the decent sounding samples.