Kontakt 2 Playback Issue

I'm having an issue with my recording process. I write scores in Sibelius, convert them to MIDI files, open those up in Sonar Home Studio 4 and run them through Kontakt 2 as a Dxi. I only record a few instruments at a time by mixing down the audio. I later mix all of these together into a complete recording. When I'm doing any single instruments on a channel, I get wonderful results. The problem occurs when I use any instrument banks. I am getting very distorted and rather quiet playback with signifigant dropouts. I'm fairly sure that I'm not overloading anything as this happens if I use a very simple set up that does not take up much memory. For example: glock on program 1 with sus. cym. on program 2... with nothing else loaded at all.  Anyone have a clue?

Pentium 4 3.40 ghz
2gb RAM
search through the forums (especially Jim's posts) and you'll find a lot of tips. 

Here's a few quick ones:

use ";lite"; instruments instead of the regular ones.
change from ";DFD"; to ";Sampler"; in Kontakt 2 so it loads the samples into RAM instead of reading off the hard drive.
You are using very sustained instruments- glock and sus cym- and you can shorten the duration/decay of the note to increase polyphony.
make sure your sound card latency is higher than 40 ms. 

Your computer should handle a full percussion section- it just takes some tweaking.
[quote author=Jedi link=topic=1237.msg5341#msg5341 date=1152732623]
use ";lite"; instruments instead of the regular ones.
change from ";DFD"; to ";Sampler"; in Kontakt 2 so it loads the samples into RAM instead of reading off the hard drive.
You are using very sustained instruments- glock and sus cym- and you can shorten the duration/decay of the note to increase polyphony.
make sure your sound card latency is higher than 40 ms.��
[/quote]

In addition to these good suggestions, check out this thread: https://www.tapspace.com/forums/index.php?topic=1175.0

To me, part of your problem sounds like a retriggering issue. You might give it a try!
ER
Thanks, guys.
Login or Signup to post a comment