Questions about an iMAC

Anyone who knows....please advise.

I am looking to purchase an iMAC (24"; iMAC, Intel 2.16GHZ Core 2 Duo, 500 GB HD, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT 256 MB video) in the next 2 weeks, mostly to run Sibelius, Finale, and VDL:2.  I am wondering if anyone knows anything about the iMAC and running any of these software titles on it.

Being a long time PC user, I a curious about the sound card.  On a PC, usually to get high end sound, you need to invest in a good sound card.  With the iMAC, this really doesn't seem to be an option.  Am I able to run VDL:2 on an iMAC using the standard sound card? 

Any thoughts would be great!

Robby
Jim,

My sound card settings are as follows:
Interface = Coreaudio
Sample rate = 44100
Output Device = Built-in Output
OUtput Latency = 8 ms

As far as other sounds, to my knowledge I am only playing sounds out of VDL2, not other sources.  However, in Sibelius for playback I have 3 items.  APPLE COMPUTER IAC (latency of 8) M-AUdio USB, and DLS Music Device.  Anything sound like it could be the problem to you? 

Thanx a ton for your help,
Robby
[quote author=Flamdragz link=topic=1454.msg6728#msg6728 date=1166313512]
Hey everyone.  I need some serious help with VDL2 and Sibelius.  I bought the Mac from above that I mentioned.  I have installed all of the files (I think), and when I go to playback a file I was working on, I get the same problems I suffered with my out-of-date PC.  When the Bass' come in, you hear a dstorted squeel or buzz, then Sib quits playing things all together.

Any suggestions?

Robby
24"; iMac, 2GB Ram, 500 GB HD, NVidia GeForce 7600 GT 256 MB
[/quote]

In VDL2, go to File>Setup>Soundcard. What are your settings?

Also, are you playing any other sounds from your Siblieus score (i.e. from Kontakt Silver)?
Hey everyone.  I need some serious help with VDL2 and Sibelius.  I bought the Mac from above that I mentioned.  I have installed all of the files (I think), and when I go to playback a file I was working on, I get the same problems I suffered with my out-of-date PC.  When the Bass' come in, you hear a dstorted squeel or buzz, then Sib quits playing things all together.

Any suggestions?

Robby
24"; iMac, 2GB Ram, 500 GB HD, NVidia GeForce 7600 GT 256 MB
Hi Robby - you should be just fine with that machine. The soundcard wouldn't necessarily be considered ";pro"; level, but the important thing is the drivers. All macs come standard with Core Audio drivers which perform very well. This is nice compared to many PC's out of the box which come with less reliable DirectSound or MME drivers which often require upgrading to an audio interface that uses ASIO drivers. Don't worry about that. I think this will work well for you.

The main thing to keep tabs on is when certain programs go ";Universal Binary"; - aka compatible to run natively on intel macs. Currently, Finale 2007 is UB. This is good. Sibelius is not yet, nor is VDL2. The good news is that many people have seen very good results running Sibelius and VDL2 in Rosetta (emulates PowerPC programs until they have UB replacements).

So long story short...you should be good with this Imac you have your eyes on. If you run into any bumps in the road along the way, the forum is always here for you. :)

Good luck!
I have a macbook pro with the same processor and I haven't had any problems running vdl2 w/sibelius. (besides some installation issues that were easily fixed) I have 1GB of ram and it runs pretty good, so Im sure with 2GB it will run even better. I think the sound card is just the basic built in mac audio which runs good. I dont think it is suited for extreme gaming, but then again I could be wrong. Like I said, I havent had any problems running finale, sibelius or vdl2 on my macbook pro. So, I hope I might have been some help. Good Luck

-Darryl Jones

macbook pro 2.16GHz(intel core2 duo)
sibeius 4
finale
vdl2
dp5
Login or Signup to post a comment