Best Notation Software?

So I just recieved VDL:2 for Christmas and I thought that ACID Music Studio would count as a sequencer...apparently not.  I can't seem to get the files or .dll's to the right place in order to work.  It soon came to my attention that apparently ACID Music Studio is not widely used in this genre/industry/hobby (or at all it seems.)  This is because when I did a search for it, the only topic I found relating helpfully to the software was a topic I myself posted 9 months ago, *slaps face*.  So, I am now in the process of trying to figure out what would be the best notation software to use so I can actually make things with the samples I have now.  Is there preference between Finale, Sibelius, Cubase, etc.?  And also, what would be the cheapest preferably?
I switched from Finale to Sibelius in 2002 and never looked back.  It feels like a music program, where finale feels like a microsoft office program.  I always hated how finale releases a new version even if they didn't offer anything useful.  It's like having a $100 per year subscription.

[quote author=Jedi link=topic=1474.msg6908#msg6908 date=1167701110]
I switched from Finale to Sibelius in 2002 and never looked back.  It feels like a music program, where finale feels like a microsoft office program.  I always hated how finale releases a new version even if they didn't offer anything useful.  It's like having a $100 per year subscription.

[/quote]

There's no surprise that someone with the screenname ";Jedi"; would speak such wisdom...

Say it with me: ";tools are baaaadddd....";
tools are baaaaaaaaaaad.  Their SUPER BAD (with a nod to Soul Brother Number 1 - James Brown RIP James)!
[quote author=Coach link=topic=1474.msg6861#msg6861 date=1167325598]
To be used within the program you would need Finale 2007.  Right now there are only templates that go to Finale 2006.  These templates can be used with Finale 2007, however.  VDL2 can be used with PrintMusic as well but you have no options on editing the percussion maps that are given.  These FInale 2006 templates could be used with that program as well.  However, if you use PrintMusic 2007, you would need to use VDL in some other program or Standalone mode outside of PrintMusic.
[/quote]

Would Finale Allegro work with VDL2?  Because looking at the comparison chart, it seems that for me at the moment as just a high-schooler who wants to write stuff and make them mp3s and stuff, it seems that I would be okay with Allegro.  Though, on the chart it lists ";Support of Native Instrument VST/AU players"; as only Finale 2007, not anything below it, so that's why I am wondering about if VDL2 works with Allegro even though you said it works with PrintMusic which is lower.
You could use VDL2 with Allegro,  but not inside the program with the VST support like Finale 2007 has.  You would have to run VDL in stand-alone mode or in another hosting program like Bidule.  There are many topics on here that will cover using VDL in stand-alone mode or in Bidule, or other hosting software.
[quote author=Coach link=topic=1474.msg6970#msg6970 date=1168233119]
You could use VDL2 with Allegro,  but not inside the program with the VST support like Finale 2007 has.  You would have to run VDL in stand-alone mode or in another hosting program like Bidule.  There are many topics on here that will cover using VDL in stand-alone mode or in Bidule, or other hosting software.
[/quote]

When I just looked around for Allegro mentionings on the forums I found only one and it was one saying that VDL2 doesnt work with Allegro.  You say that it would work with Bidule attached, so now I am a little confused.  And is Bidule free?  I went to the site and I guess there are no charges?  And what is it exactly?  Would I still be able to write the notes in Allegro and do everything there.  Basically I want to know everything I am gettin gbefore I get it, so im trying to close up all gaps.

(Sorry if this shouldn't go here, I'm not sure how to respond to something saying I should go to another thread.)
Bidule is a program that would allow you to ";host"; VDL2 as a VST plugin. It's not a notation program. If you were using a notation program, you'd link out of the notation program, into Bidule by way of a virtual midi cable (like MIDI Yoke, or Maple MIDI). I believe Bidule is free for a trial period. Once that period expires, I think it's around $70. Check the Plogue website for details. Steinberg's V-Stack is another example of a VST Host program, and it may be a bit less expensive.

If you don't plan on running more than 8 VDL instruments, you don't necessarily need to worry about a host program. You could just run VDL2 in standalone mode, then link to it directly from Finale (or Allegro) with a virtual midi cable (as outlined in the VDL2 Quickstart Guide).

As for Allegro, I've never used it, but Coach's advice would be some of the best you'll find here. It may not allow you the control over various aspects of the percussion mapping but for a less expensive alternative to Finale, it might be an option. If you haven't read it yet, there's a good article about this on Tapspace FAQ Central at:
https://www.tapspace.com/support/faq/index.php?action=artikel&cat=4&id=22&artlang=en
I must apologize for that.  I think I posted a message about a year ago when I first got VDL:2 because I couldn't get it to work.  Apparently my computer didn't have enough space.  Also I must agree that while both a re good notation programs, I use Finale but it feels like I'm running a Microsoft Program while When I use my friend's Sibelius, it feels more like a music system.
                                                                            -Travis
Sibelius might offer a ";easier"; interface for starters and for some people, but Sibelius Children products do not really have the functionality that most Finale Children Products will have.�� By Children I mean Allegro, PrintMusic, etc...or Sibelius Student Edition (not Academic version).�� I am not too familiar with the Sibelius Student Edition, but Allegro and PrintMusic would still allow for using the Templates from Tapspace and to use Virtual Drumline as a standalone outside of those Finale versions.�� By Standalone we mean that both Finale and VDL are running at the same time where VDL is running outside of Finale.

Finale Allegro can create percussion maps and would be able to edit the percussion maps that are used in the Templates.�� PrintMusic can only use what is given in the templates.�� Allegro (right now) would have to use the Finale 2005 and earlier templates since it is only a 2005 product right now.

Here is a good product comparison chart with some options about what those products can do.
[url]http://www.finalemusic.com/finale/product-comparison.htm[/url]

Trying the Demos is the best like you have done, a nd you may decide that one works better for you than the other.�� It really comes down to what you, the user, is comfortable with.

To mention Bidule - Bidule is a program that will allow you to open your VST/AU (Virtual Instrument/Audio Units) within that program and then route everything to an ";IN"; which you can then select as your ";OUT";.�� I have submitted some screen shots for you to take a look at.�� It really does take some work to get used to, and I had to ask some questions here to get used to it and found a lot of assistance.�� Bidule is a program that costs $75 when you buy it the first time and right now every update is free.�� It is currently in BETA stage and they are not charging for further updates once you have purchased it for the Bidule versions that are under 1.0 (which they do not have yet)

Midi Out in�� Finale
[img]http://homepage.mac.com/hirschscott/.Public/Finale%20Outputs.jpg[/img]

Match these INs from Bidule
[img]http://homepage.mac.com/hirschscott/.Public/Bidule%20Inputs.jpg[/img]

You will see that the OUTs in Finale will need to match the INs that you have at the top of that setup.�� It looks kind of daunting at first but you get used to it very fast.  Also these screen shots are from a MAC but you would do the same thing on your PC except you would not use the BIDULE outputs tey would need tobe the Virtual Midi Cable like Maple Midi or MidiYoke that you are using.

Coach I hope you at least get a free Tapspace t-shirt for all of your free tech support :)
[quote author=Jedi link=topic=1474.msg7130#msg7130 date=1169191957]
Coach I hope you at least get a free Tapspace t-shirt for all of your free tech support :)
[/quote]

I'll second that!
Maybe a free t-shirt and a social life.  :)  LOL
Login or Signup to post a comment