Recommended Machine

Hey everyone.  This is my first post, but I've been reading the forums for a while now, and pretty intensively over the past few weeks studying up on VDL2 and the necessary ";knowledge requirements";.  I may be in the position to be getting a new machine soon, and I'd like to hear recommendations on an iMac versus a MacBook.  I'd love to have the portability of the MacBook, but when it's all said and done I want a machine that will run Sibelius 4 and VDL2, along with necessary add-ons (Sonar, Kontakt2, etc) when needed.  Of course the Mac Pro would be ideal, but a little (translated alot) out of the price range.  If it helps I'm usually writing full percussion scores with wind arrangements and complete indoor shows, so I know the specs and requirements may help make the decision.

So specs, being the same (i.e. at least a 2ghz processor, 2 gigs of ram, etc) is there a recommendation from the powers that be?

Thanks in advance.

(PS..my apologies if this is in the wrong forum)
Hehehe...done.  :)
Change your sig?  ;)

It finally happened.  On my desk as we speak is a brand new MacBook Pro, 2.33ghz and 2gigs of ram.  I'm really looking forward to getting things up and running so I can have a working machine anywhere I go.  I'm sure I'll be back here with questions, but my VDL2 skills are on the rise and things (so far) have been going nicely. 

Is there anything right off the bat that I need to be prepared for other than the obvious differences (drivers, virtual midi cables) etc.? 
If everything else is equal, the clockspeed is linear.  2.33/2.13 = 1.094 = 9.4% better speed.  Remember, this means that when your CPU hits 100%, you're getting 9.4% better.  Most people will notice a 20% difference in performance on a computer.  10% on just chips is pretty good, but see what kind of price effect it has, like if it's more or less than 10%.  =)
(Should have asked in the previous post).  Should the .20 speed difference matter that much from the Core Duo and the Core 2?
Great link, Jedi.  Thanks.  The different processor speeds are 2.13 for the Core Duo and 2.33 for the Core 2. 
Here's a very in-depth look at Core Duo vs Core 2 Duo. 

[url=http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2808&p=6]click here[/url]

In general, there's a 5-20% increase depending on the type of program, assuming it's the same clock speed.  Audio rendering is probably around 10-15% boost.  If it's a difference between something like a 1.8 GHz Core Duo and a 2.33 GHz Core 2 Duo, then there will be a very big improvement.
New Question:  We're getting closer to making the purchase, and I'm looking at a refurbished MacBook Pro and wondering if there is a significant difference in the Intel Core Duo and Intel Core [b]2[/b] Duo?  The latter comes with 2gigs of ram, but really the ram can be upgraded in either machine, and if possible I'm shooting for three gigs anyway.  There's a price difference of about $300 between the Intel Core Duo with 1 gig of ram and the Intel Core 2 Duo with two gigs.  Everything else being the same, and knowing I could match the ram for about $100 from crucial, making it a $200 price difference, is the Intel Core 2 Duo worth the price difference?
One thing to remember- resale value of Macs is [i]waaaay[/i] better than PCs.  I never keep my Macs more than 6-12 months and sell it when the ";next big thing"; comes out for close to the price I paid for it... sometimes for a good profit!  I've been doing this for many years: waiting for the local Apple store to sell an open box or display model for a huge discount, keeping it for awhile, then selling it on craigslist.org locally.  Where I live, there's never a shortage of wannabe film-makers and video editors who think they need a Mac to be the next Spielberg.   
Great to hear.  I'd get a PC if I [i]had [/i]to, but just wouldn't be as happy with it.
Don't reconsider. Rosetta is a good, reliable solution during this interrim while software is catching up to the new intel macs. Most likely, within this year that won't even be an issue as more software is becoming available as UB.

Just my two cents...
Another question.  With the universal binary issue and the lag that results from running in Rosetta, should I reconsider (perish the thought) of getting a Mac?  Don't get me wrong, I would much prefer a Mac, but what universal binary issues/lag issues should I be expecting?

Thanks yet again. 
Hey Neal!  Great to hear from you.  I'm sure I'll see you at the convention this weekend.

Yes we're doing indoor this season.  First full season in Open Class after our promotion late last spring. 

Keith,

Greetings!  Great to see you in the Tapspace/VDL online community!
The water is warm and the folks who frequent the forum are
quite helpful, supportive, and friendly as well.  If I can ever be of
any assistance to you, please let me know.  Hope all is well
at Bob Jones.  Are you doing an indoor group this winter/spring?
Good luck with your upcoming purchases. 

Take care!
Neal

e-mail:  [email]nflum@music.ua.edu[/email]
or [email]nealflum@mac.com[/email]

office: (205) 348-9440
cell: (205) 239-0336
Wonderful.  Thanks again!
Login or Signup to post a comment