Recording with Audacity

I am using audacity to record my sibelius / VDL2 pieces.  I have plenty of RAM (2 GB) and my computer is in great shape.  Recently I fragmented everything, did a system cleanup, etc.  When I record, sometimes a measure skips a beat or kind of stutters.  Does anybody have advice on how to make my recordings smoother?  I like to post these recordings on my website and really want to smooth everything out.

One last thing, when I record with Audacity, I cannot have both the sibelius/ audacity windows open.  Is there a setting so this can be possible?

Thanks,

Dennis
Dennis,

Actually, it would be a good idea to minimize everything to the taskbar once you have started recording. Every time Sibelius (or any program) has to refresh what is on the screen whether it be changing pages or scrolling across, it eats up your processor resources. I believe this is considered a redraw, if my memory serves me correctly.

Whenever I record, I normally press record in Audacity (or whatever program is being used), minimize it, then start playing in Sibelius, soon thereafter minimizing it as well.  If you need a little extra time to insure that you don't cause a hiccup at the beginning of the recording, you can add an extra prep bar at the beginning of the piece or section you are recording.

Hope this helps.
Thanks Bryan.  I'll give it a try.

Dennis
Bryan,

I tried it, however there was a small problem.  When I minimize the sibelius, it quits playing.  Is there a setting I need to change to keep it playing?

Thanks,

Dennis
Yes...

Play > Playback and Input Devices > Play In Background > Always
thanks.

Dennis
Bryan,

Thanks a bunch.  It works excellent!

Dennis
Login or Signup to post a comment