OT: Name that Rudiment!

Call me dumb. (Go ahead.)

What's the name of this rudiment?:

RLLRR LRRLL -- seen most often as the sticking for a quintuplet.

It's like the little Shirley Murphy that couldn't...
Someone should write an exercise based on those suckers and call it ";Irish Fives a' Smilin'.";

Then write some Irish flam thing and call it ";O' Flammy Boy.";

Then, instead of Auld Lang Syne, you could write a(nother) slick little double-beat exercise and call it ";Auld Lang Syne-copation.";

Then drink a bunch of stolen whisky, stumble in to Denny's and confess to French kissing your cousin when you were a kid.

";Kid"; meaning ";last week.";
Irish 5's all the way.  Slurred 5-strokes as well.  Also heard them called ";fivesies"; which I can't bring myself to say.
Five stroke rolls.  Tap fives by most, just slurred.  I will always call them Irish Fives from now on...very funny.
I hear that this is a type of ";Spaghetti Roll"; (the Irish 5 may be the specific name?). It's where you have a roll rudiment but start from the end -- RRLLR becomes RLLRR. MCahill (Crusader fame) told me this and also taught CMcNutt who then used this is his tenor solo in the early '90s.
I couldn't be any more kidding.... funny how things get named. Shirley Murphy? What? Cheese? What, what? No offence taken at all. Although playing a flammed up passage is quite the sobriety test.... :)
No offense meant by the Irish thing - to be honest, I had not even thought of the ";drunken"; thing.  I didn't know what exactly made them ";Irish"; - I just had heard them called that before...
Hey! I'm Irish and I am offended that someone would name a rudiment after our ";slurred"; (i.e. drunken) roll interp.... our Irish 5's aren't that bad (....are they????) LMAO! I quess if the Swiss have their triplets we can have our 5's.
I have heard them called Irish 5's as well.
I've heard them called slurred 5's and Irish 5's. I wonder what the connection is? :)
I think the label might depend on the rhythm (e.g. standard five stroke vs. slurred). I'm presuming that you're talking about that sticking being used over a quintuplet, or five evenly spaced notes. So, I would tend to call them... (drum roll)

[b] Slurred Five Stroke Rolls[/b]

However, ";The Shirley Murphy That Couldn't"; would be funny :-)
I've never heard a name for it. I would just consider those a mix of single and double strokes. If it has one I'd be interested in hearing what it is.
Login or Signup to post a comment