OT: Name that Rudiment!

Call me dumb. (Go ahead.)

What's the name of this rudiment?:

RLLRR LRRLL -- seen most often as the sticking for a quintuplet.

It's like the little Shirley Murphy that couldn't...
I've never heard a name for it. I would just consider those a mix of single and double strokes. If it has one I'd be interested in hearing what it is.
I think the label might depend on the rhythm (e.g. standard five stroke vs. slurred). I'm presuming that you're talking about that sticking being used over a quintuplet, or five evenly spaced notes. So, I would tend to call them... (drum roll)

[b] Slurred Five Stroke Rolls[/b]

However, ";The Shirley Murphy That Couldn't"; would be funny :-)
I've heard them called slurred 5's and Irish 5's. I wonder what the connection is? :)
I have heard them called Irish 5's as well.
Hey! I'm Irish and I am offended that someone would name a rudiment after our ";slurred"; (i.e. drunken) roll interp.... our Irish 5's aren't that bad (....are they????) LMAO! I quess if the Swiss have their triplets we can have our 5's.
No offense meant by the Irish thing - to be honest, I had not even thought of the ";drunken"; thing.  I didn't know what exactly made them ";Irish"; - I just had heard them called that before...
I couldn't be any more kidding.... funny how things get named. Shirley Murphy? What? Cheese? What, what? No offence taken at all. Although playing a flammed up passage is quite the sobriety test.... :)
I hear that this is a type of ";Spaghetti Roll"; (the Irish 5 may be the specific name?). It's where you have a roll rudiment but start from the end -- RRLLR becomes RLLRR. MCahill (Crusader fame) told me this and also taught CMcNutt who then used this is his tenor solo in the early '90s.
Five stroke rolls.  Tap fives by most, just slurred.  I will always call them Irish Fives from now on...very funny.
Irish 5's all the way.  Slurred 5-strokes as well.  Also heard them called ";fivesies"; which I can't bring myself to say.
Someone should write an exercise based on those suckers and call it ";Irish Fives a' Smilin'.";

Then write some Irish flam thing and call it ";O' Flammy Boy.";

Then, instead of Auld Lang Syne, you could write a(nother) slick little double-beat exercise and call it ";Auld Lang Syne-copation.";

Then drink a bunch of stolen whisky, stumble in to Denny's and confess to French kissing your cousin when you were a kid.

";Kid"; meaning ";last week.";
Login or Signup to post a comment