Announcing Virtual Drumline 2.5

[url=https://www.tapspace.com/VDL2.5announce.html][size=14pt][b]Announcing Virtual Drumline 2.5. [/b][/size][/url]
A huge update to the world's most powerful marching battery and concert percussion software instrument, featuring the world-champion Santa Clara Vanguard percussion section.

[b]WHAT'S NEW[/b]

[list]
[li]Now integrated into Native Instruments’ powerful KONTAKT PLAYER 2 engine[/li]

[li]Universal application for Mac-Intel speed and compatibility[/li]

[li]Load up to 64 channels in standalone mode[/li]

[li]Save multi’s for easy loading of projects[/li]

[li]Host VDL instruments alongside other Kontakt Player 2 formatted libraries in the same player[/li]

[li]New instruments – steel drum orchestra (lead pan, double seconds, triple guitar, 6 piece bass pan set), rhythm section (piano, guitar, bass guitar), waterphone, showband single tenors, typewriter[/li]

[li]New enhanced velocity control for more natural accent/tap sensitivity[/li]

[li]More specialized controls for enhanced customization on each instrument such as EQ control, attack/release control, Auxilliary send levels[/li]

[li]Monitor Mod-Wheel or Keyswitch settings onscreen[/li]

[li]Much improved DFD (direct from disc) streaming functionality[/li]

[li]Unlimited polyphony[/li]

[li]Rack view and minimized view[/li]

[li]Integrated effects[/li]

[li]Searchable electronic documentation[/li]

[li]New NI Service Center application to manage and view authorization[/li]
[/list]

[b]UPGRADE FROM VIRTUAL DRUMLINE 2[/b]
Since VDL 2.5 has completely revamped all sample data, it will be necessary for VDL:2 users to receive a new DVD. There will be a very small DVD processing fee for existing VDL:2 users who registered prior to April 1, 2007. More information about upgrading will be available on the Tapspace website soon.

[b]WHEN WILL IT BE AVAILABLE?[/b]
We’re working feverishly and making great progress. Stay connected to the Tapspace website for the most current information or [url=http://app.e2ma.net/app/view:Join/signupId:3247]join the Tapspace email list[/url] to be notified when it is shipping.

[b]SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS[/b]
• 5 GB of free hard disk space
• DVD Drive to install software
• RAM: 1 GB or more recommended
• Windows XP (required by KONTAKT PLAYER 2) Pentium 4 or Athlon 2.4 GHz or higher is recommended
• Macintosh OS X 10.4 or higher (required by KONTAKT PLAYER 2) PowerPC G5 or Mac-Intel recommended
• Notation or sequencing software to control sounds
• MIDI keyboard recommended for note input

[b]COMPATIBILITY[/b]
• Standalone mode on Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.4+
• Plug-in formats (VSTi™, Audio Units™, DXi™, RTAS™)
• Audio driver formats (ASIO™, DirectSound™, MME™, Core Audio™)

[i]Important Note: The KONTAKT audio engine is extremely powerful and will rely on your computer’s CPU. Virtual Drumline 2.5 will work best on faster and more current CPUs. In addition to running this software, note the system requirements of your host program, if applicable, and/or notation or sequencer program.[/i]
My birthday was a couple days ago, and i asked for VDL 2.  If my dad orders it like next week and 2.5 isnt out yet, can i upgrade to 2.5 for free?  or do i have to wait for 2.5?
[quote author=marimbit link=topic=1731.msg8523#msg8523 date=1180304487]
My birthday was a couple days ago, and i asked for VDL 2.  If my dad orders it like next week and 2.5 isnt out yet, can i upgrade to 2.5 for free?  or do i have to wait for 2.5?
[/quote]

crap, i think i just read the upgrade section and answered my own question... but to be sure, the upgrade [i]will[/i] be free right?
Correct. If VDL:2 is registered after April 1, 2007 the upgrade is free. The only thing you'd have to pay for is shipping of the new DVD.

Happy birthday! :)
This is great news Jim!

Here's hoping it comes out soon, I have several summer projects on my plate and these new features would be reaaaaal nice. :P
Heyy,

I'm not really sure where this question would go so I'm posting it in the lastest topic. I've read the features over and over again about this program, but I still cannot figure out what this program does. I write notation drumline music in Finale printmusic. Your site said that VD2 can be used as a stand alone or as a integrated program. What all does that mean. Does it mean I can use it as a MIDI through finale and hear VD2's sounds when I playback my music? Also, how is it used as a stand alone program? Can you still write notation in this stand alone program?(like type in the specific beats and notes). If someone could please answer my question it would be very much appreciated. I love VD2's sounds and would love to buy the program, but I do not know if I could accually still write my music the way I have been, (which is notation style)
Thank you for your time.
Yes, absolutely you can write notation.  Most VDL:2 users write using a notation program.  I am not sure if PrintMusic is supported, check the FAQ or do a search.  With Final and Sibelius, Tapspace provides a template that is mapped to the specific sounds needed.  You would have to adjust to a new way of entering your notation since the templates are extensive and require a midi controller for the best and quickest results.  Standalone mode means that you can hook up a midi controller and play with VDL:s as if it were a live instrument, not in conjunction with a sequencer or notation program.  Some of us use a MalletKat to run VDL:2 sounds in Standalone mode.
You will not be able to write notation in the Virtual Drumline Program itself.�� You would need a notation program to do this - like Finale, Sibelius, etc.

There is a good FAQ about using PrintMusic and other�� ";Children"; programs of Finale with Virtual Drumline.

https://www.tapspace.com/support/faq/index.php?sid=140381&lang=en&action=artikel&cat=4&id=22&artlang=en

This may be a tiny bit outdated now that those programs have been updated, but I can change that.�� The process is still the same and has not changed.
Thank you guys for your help. I roughly understand now what VD2 can do. Now VD2.5 will be for purchase to those who don't have any right?
[quote author=Fight4UrRight link=topic=1731.msg8606#msg8606 date=1180987721]
Thank you guys for your help. I roughly understand now what VD2 can do. Now VD2.5 will be for purchase to those who don't have any right?

[/quote]

When VDL 2.5 is shipping, yes. You will be able to purchase it. Until then, you may purchase VDL2, then later upgrade to 2.5.
[quote]Since VDL 2.5 has completely revamped all sample data, it will be necessary for VDL:2 users to receive a new DVD. There will be a very small DVD processing fee for existing VDL:2 users who registered prior to April 1, 2007. More information about upgrading will be available on the Tapspace website soon.[/quote]

According to that post, there won't be any cost to people who registered [b]prior[/b] to April 1. Is that supposed to say after April 1, or is it free to upgrade for all VDL:2 users?

Thanks.
No. The original post is correct.

If you registered VDL2 [b]prior[/b] to April 1, 2007, there will be a small fee for the upgrade (plus shipping). This fee will be less than $20. If you registered VDL2 [b]after[/b] April 1, the upgrade will be free (with the exception of shipping charges).

Further instructions for VDL2 upgraders will be forthcoming when shipping dates become closer to finalized.

Thanks for your patience!
I noticed that Vista was not mentioned in the System Requirements. Can you clarify?
[url]https://www.tapspace.com/support/faq/index.php?action=artikel&cat=3&id=35&artlang=en&highlight=vista[/url]

The above link is the current information about Virtual Drumline and Vista support.�� I hope this answers any questions you may have at this time.
That older article is about VDL 2, and, most of the time, I have no or little problems with that version on Vista. However, VDL 2.5 (or, more specifically, the new Kontakt Player) seems to be a significantly different animal, so I was wondering if current info was available on this new version.
Here's the most current, official statement from Native Instruments in regard to Vista support. This statement would include their Kontakt Player 2 software which VDL 2.5 will come with.

[b][url=http://www.native-instruments.com/index.php?id=vista_us&nitr=1&l_src=support_us&tsr_id=49528&ftu=dc235a4ea31212e&flash=9]Click here[/url][/b]
Login or Signup to post a comment