Announcing Virtual Drumline 2.5

[url=https://www.tapspace.com/VDL2.5announce.html][size=14pt][b]Announcing Virtual Drumline 2.5. [/b][/size][/url]
A huge update to the world's most powerful marching battery and concert percussion software instrument, featuring the world-champion Santa Clara Vanguard percussion section.

[b]WHAT'S NEW[/b]

[list]
[li]Now integrated into Native Instruments’ powerful KONTAKT PLAYER 2 engine[/li]

[li]Universal application for Mac-Intel speed and compatibility[/li]

[li]Load up to 64 channels in standalone mode[/li]

[li]Save multi’s for easy loading of projects[/li]

[li]Host VDL instruments alongside other Kontakt Player 2 formatted libraries in the same player[/li]

[li]New instruments – steel drum orchestra (lead pan, double seconds, triple guitar, 6 piece bass pan set), rhythm section (piano, guitar, bass guitar), waterphone, showband single tenors, typewriter[/li]

[li]New enhanced velocity control for more natural accent/tap sensitivity[/li]

[li]More specialized controls for enhanced customization on each instrument such as EQ control, attack/release control, Auxilliary send levels[/li]

[li]Monitor Mod-Wheel or Keyswitch settings onscreen[/li]

[li]Much improved DFD (direct from disc) streaming functionality[/li]

[li]Unlimited polyphony[/li]

[li]Rack view and minimized view[/li]

[li]Integrated effects[/li]

[li]Searchable electronic documentation[/li]

[li]New NI Service Center application to manage and view authorization[/li]
[/list]

[b]UPGRADE FROM VIRTUAL DRUMLINE 2[/b]
Since VDL 2.5 has completely revamped all sample data, it will be necessary for VDL:2 users to receive a new DVD. There will be a very small DVD processing fee for existing VDL:2 users who registered prior to April 1, 2007. More information about upgrading will be available on the Tapspace website soon.

[b]WHEN WILL IT BE AVAILABLE?[/b]
We’re working feverishly and making great progress. Stay connected to the Tapspace website for the most current information or [url=http://app.e2ma.net/app/view:Join/signupId:3247]join the Tapspace email list[/url] to be notified when it is shipping.

[b]SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS[/b]
• 5 GB of free hard disk space
• DVD Drive to install software
• RAM: 1 GB or more recommended
• Windows XP (required by KONTAKT PLAYER 2) Pentium 4 or Athlon 2.4 GHz or higher is recommended
• Macintosh OS X 10.4 or higher (required by KONTAKT PLAYER 2) PowerPC G5 or Mac-Intel recommended
• Notation or sequencing software to control sounds
• MIDI keyboard recommended for note input

[b]COMPATIBILITY[/b]
• Standalone mode on Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.4+
• Plug-in formats (VSTi™, Audio Units™, DXi™, RTAS™)
• Audio driver formats (ASIO™, DirectSound™, MME™, Core Audio™)

[i]Important Note: The KONTAKT audio engine is extremely powerful and will rely on your computer’s CPU. Virtual Drumline 2.5 will work best on faster and more current CPUs. In addition to running this software, note the system requirements of your host program, if applicable, and/or notation or sequencer program.[/i]
I noticed that in the picture of the new look of the window, next to multis was ";2008 Opener";.  Does this mean that VDL:2.5 users will be able to save their own sets? i.e. I used battery lite multi (minus the cymbals) plus vibes, marimba, xylophone, chimes, and rack A on an indoor show that I wrote. Am I going to be able to set it so tat I can hit on button and all of these things will load for me?
[quote author=lhstenor link=topic=1731.msg8960#msg8960 date=1182967418]
I noticed that in the picture of the new look of the window, next to multis was ";2008 Opener";.  Does this mean that VDL:2.5 users will be able to save their own sets? i.e. I used battery lite multi (minus the cymbals) plus vibes, marimba, xylophone, chimes, and rack A on an indoor show that I wrote. Am I going to be able to set it so tat I can hit on button and all of these things will load for me?
[/quote]

Yes. You're referring to what's called a ";multi"; in Kontakt lingo. You'll now be able to create and save your own multis!
Man that's awesome! You guys working on this are my heroes! Keep up the awesome work and keep up the great drumming!
question,
If I start working on my fall show this week using my 2.0 templates, and THIS comes out in 2 weeks, can I still use it?  Will my work using the 2.0 doc/sounds not work because of mapping?

thanks and I REALLY am looking forward to 2.5
To my knowledge the VDL 2.5 will not overwrite your previous version.�� So if you kept the VDL 2 version installed then your mappings would be intact.�� But if you install VDL 2.5 and then remove 2.0 you will then have to reload those sounds obviously.�� Regarding mappings in your music - these should work and you should have to worry about any edits unless you try to use any of the new sounds.  The Document you are using should still work as well as it will be using the earlier maps.  You should be able to add those new percussion maps from the new templates to your current document for any new instruments you should want.

I second Scott's answer.  As I understand it (feel free to jump in and  confirm this Bill or Jim or whomever), the 2.5 sounds still contain the same sounds as the 1.5 sounds.  The only editing would come from trying to incorporate the newer sounds.  The newer tepmlates would work for those as well though (again, as I understand it).
None of the sounds got remapped, but there were a couple of sounds added to the snare voice, plus the new sounds added (waterphone, typewriter, etc).  I've been using the original template and the new library for quite some time now with no problems at all.

Now, the first time you load up a multi file, you may need to reload each sample, but just save that multi and it's fixed.
I've been using VDL2 with the full version of Kontakt 2 and I'm wondering:  will I need Kontakt 2 once VDL2.5 arrives?  The main reason I bought Kontakt 2 was for the banks and multis capability and VDL2.5 is taking care of that.  I'm running on a MacBook Pro 2.13ghz Intel Core Duo with 2gigs of ram and I'm curious which would be better running on my system, to still load everything into Kontakt or just use VDL2.5?

I have started using some of Kontakt's wind sounds for my arranging, and though they're better than the DLS default sounds, it's nothing that I'm so attached to that I wouldn't ditch them to have better stability if all I'm using is VDL2.5.  In other words, if 2.5 will be better performance wise for my system than loading everything into Kontakt, that's what I'll do.

Thanks in advance!
[quote author=Keith Anderson link=topic=1731.msg9029#msg9029 date=1183391771]
I've been using VDL2 with the full version of Kontakt 2 and I'm wondering:  will I need Kontakt 2 once VDL2.5 arrives?[/quote]

Possibly not.  The new Kontakt player bundled in VDL2.5 provides a large set of the features desirable in Kontakt 2 (more than 8 channels, instrument banks, saving multis).  For everyday users you'll probably find that you can get by on just VDL2.5 and be content.  There are some quirks to going that route, including the process of saving instrument changes (which correct me if I'm wrong Jim, but will still probably be in their clunky open-edit-save-reload format)--and you definitely have more fine-grained control with Kontakt 2.

In short, if you already have Kontakt there's nothing wrong with trying both approaches out and see what works best for your workflow/peformance demands, but I suspect you'd be more than happy working in just VDL2.5.
The interface is going to be the same in terms of going to the LOAD/SAVE menu at the top of the Kontakt Player (same as Kontakt 2) and then clicking Load to load a Multi.�� If you would like to enter an Instrument Bank that is empty that will show up in the menu of instruments (";Banks";) that you will be able to add to your Kontakt Player 2.
Got it.  Thanks for the responses guys!
Ok, so I just did the pre-order on the upgrade and I typed up my serial # and input that I registered it before april 1st. It came up with a total of like 9 or 10 dollars. It said $19.00 for person(s) who have registered before april 1st, but the total still came out like that. I figured I would post this here so someone can either correct it or do what it takes to process my order the correct way, unless it is correct now. I didn't want you guys to lose money over a simple mistake like that. I posted my e-mail for contact in the ";notes"; section at checkout. If someone could check into that, that would be awesome. Or possible even lead me to where I could take care of it, if this is not the place to do it.

thanks a bunch,

Calvin Warren III

Calvin - when you entered your order, you selected the option that says VDL2 was registered AFTER April 1st, which is why the pricing came out wrong. You can check your invoice online to verify that this in indeed the case.

You should get a notification from Tapspace indicating that you'll still owe $19 (the other amount is for shipping), and you'll need to verify that it's ok to charge your card for the extra amount.

Sorry if there was any confusion along the way, but thank you for bringing it to our attention.
Ok, thanks Jim.

Calvin
When is this going to ship in July?
Login or Signup to post a comment