*Beta Release* VDL2 Auto Sticking Plugin for Sibelius

[center][b][size=14pt][url=http://rapidshare.com/files/45845499/VDL2_Auto_Stick_v0.6.zip.html";]Click Here to Download VDL2 Auto Sticking v0.6[/url][/size][/b]
**This plugin will not work for AutoRL instruments**[/center]

I decided to write a plugin for Sibelius that will automate a majority of the sticking text entry. This is a beta release, meaning I'm releasing it for public testing. I would highly appreciate your feedback and suggestions. Be sure to view the read me for installation instructions. I hope you find the plugin useful!

[b]What it does:[/b]
[list]
[li]Writes in stickings for all sounds with a designated right or left hand (only battery instruments currently supported)[/li]
[li]Automatically recognizes which instrument(s) you have chosen[/li]
[li]Recognizes accents (currently only the regular accent [b]>[/b] and marcato [b]^[/b] accent)[/li]
[/list]

[b]What it currently doesn't do:[/b]
[list]
[li]Write in stickings for ";chords"; (i.e. a note stacked on another note)[/li]
[li]Write in stickings for any sounds that are not indicated with a right or left hand (i.e. rolls, etc.)[/li]
[li]Write in stickings for any sound that would use two hands i.e. OTH shots[/li]
[li]It is currently not tested with VDL2.5 or Sibelius 5[/li]
[/list]

*I am most concerned about performance of the plugin. If you can, please send me some test scores, the bigger and denser the better!*

[b]I would like your specific feedback on:[/b]
[list]
[li]Sticking conventions you use for your writing (i.e. lowercase for unaccented, uppercase for accented, etc.)[/li]
[li]How you indicate for two hands (i.e. tenor double stops, OTH shots, etc)[/li]
[li]Other instruments you would like to see included[/li]
[li]Other articulations you would like to see[/li]
[li]Mac environment! I don't have a Mac on hand so please test![/li]
[li]Bugs you find[/li]
[li]Other suggestions you may have[/li]
[/list]
[b]
Possible future enhancements:[/b]
[list]
[li]User selectable sticking conventions[/li]
[li]User selectable articulations to capitalize[/li]
[li]More instruments![/li]
[li]Proofreading tools to show you notes without stickings[/li]
[li]Compatibility with VDL 2.5 and Sibelius 5[/li]
[/list]

Please leave your feedback here, pm me, or email at [i]champagne.joshua at gmail.com[/i]!

Enjoy! :)

Josh
Josh, a grateful thank you for your work on this Plug-in.
[quote author=Josh Champagne link=topic=1901.msg12580#msg12580 date=1206533965]
Hey gents, I'm actually working on an update for Sibelius 5 and the new template now. The old plugin will not work because the notehead numbers�� have completely changed from the old template to the new one.

I know that everyone (including myself) is getting stuff ready for the fall, so I'm hoping to have it done and out to you soon. Hopefully I can find enough spare time to get it done [i]and[/i] include some new functionality.
[/quote]

Great to hear, Josh.  Thanks for your work on this!!
Hey gents, I'm actually working on an update for Sibelius 5 and the new template now. The old plugin will not work because the notehead numbers  have completely changed from the old template to the new one.

I know that everyone (including myself) is getting stuff ready for the fall, so I'm hoping to have it done and out to you soon. Hopefully I can find enough spare time to get it done [i]and[/i] include some new functionality.
Yea I tried it as well, and meant to comment back on here.... Hopefully it will be in an update!!! :-)
[quote author=palosjr link=topic=1901.msg12012#msg12012 date=1202237435]
Just a quick question... have any of you guys tested this out with Sib. 5.1 and the template?
[/quote]

Tried it.  No luck.
[quote author=Bryan Harmsen link=topic=1901.msg10344#msg10344 date=1192336134]
I might be completely wrong about this, as I am a Sibelius user, but Finale does not seem to have a sort of expandable (almost open source) plugin system like Sibelius.�� That system has given way for any willing developer--such as Josh--to create any sort of plugin for a variety of functions.

Once again, someone correct if I am wrong.
[/quote]

You can request Finale's PDK (Plugin Developement Kit) by going to [url]http://support.makemusic.com[/url] and submitting a question [b][glow=red,2,300]ATTN: RYAN in Customer Support[/glow][/b] and ask for the Finale PDK and add a description of what you are wanting to try.  He may be able to offer some suggestions.
Just a quick question... have any of you guys tested this out with Sib. 5.1 and the template?
It would be great to have indeed an option to NOT autostick for flams.

Other question:
How did you write the plugin? I am looking for some information, maybe I can play around with it as well and see what I can improve. Just want to help out en contribute in spite everybodies spare freetime.

cheers,
ramon
I might be completely wrong about this, as I am a Sibelius user, but Finale does not seem to have a sort of expandable (almost open source) plugin system like Sibelius.  That system has given way for any willing developer--such as Josh--to create any sort of plugin for a variety of functions.

Once again, someone correct if I am wrong.
Perhaps I'm naive, but is it possible that someone is working on a similar thing for finale...?
[quote author=Justin Belcher link=topic=1901.msg9943#msg9943 date=1189217270]
I typically don't since if the primary note is sticked there aren't a whole lot of options what the grace note could be. :P
[/quote]

True, but with drummers always trying to invert grid off the left double time, you never know these days. :D
[quote author=Keith Anderson link=topic=1901.msg9937#msg9937 date=1189184461]
I haven't had any trouble with the loop when dealing with flams.  Just out of sheer curiosity:  Would it be possible for the plugin to ignore grace notes?  For example, I generally just write in the primary stroke of the flam (when putting in sticking manually) and ignore the grace note since it tends to be understood, based on the sticking of the primary.  Does anyone else do this, or do you write sticking for the grace note as well?
[/quote]

I typically don't since if the primary note is sticked there aren't a whole lot of options what the grace note could be. :P

I have seen the convention of notating the grace note hand used frequently though, so a lot of people must use it. 
I haven't had any trouble with the loop when dealing with flams.  Just out of sheer curiosity:  Would it be possible for the plugin to ignore grace notes?  For example, I generally just write in the primary stroke of the flam (when putting in sticking manually) and ignore the grace note since it tends to be understood, based on the sticking of the primary.  Does anyone else do this, or do you write sticking for the grace note as well?

Just an update, marching band season has engulfed whatever free time I had left. I'm sure most of you are in the same boat. ;) Needless to say I haven't been able to devote any recent time to this project.

I'm also waiting to dissect the Sibelius 5 template to determine whether I'll need to maintain seperate plugins for v.4 and 5.

I've also experience an odd bug where the plugin will get into an infinite loop (and bring Sibelius to a grinding halt) when adding the sticking for an appoggiatura (flams). I believe it has something to do with how the ornaments are associated with their parent objects, but I'm not sure. Has anyone else experienced this? It may just be happening on my more recent build.
Thanks again Josh.  I'll do the re-install.

Login or Signup to post a comment