OT: Texas

Hello everyone!

My wife really wants to move to a big city somewhere, and I would like to go somewhere where the percussion scene is happening. I know big cities and music education don't always get along, but how is the texas area? I have heard good things and many of the corps are auditioning there (Hell, the crossmen moved there) So can anyone give me the hook up on what texas percussion is like?

Here's a background of percussion in most of VA: Most band directors have marching bands of around 40-80 people, concert bands around twice that, and a jazz band. Percussion ensembles are sort of starting to get on their feet but, most schools don't have a percussion instructor, nor can they afford one. There are a few RARE schools with more than one band director. Usually there is no staff during the marching season. A local college dude will come in and teach the percussion for a week, then they will be on their own. Usually when this happends (for some odd reason) the pit is not included in the instruction, so they are lacking in skill and lazy in demeanor. The closest corps are 8-10 hours away. There are a few percussion hotspots near D.C. and the coast (AIA circuit,wgi) and a couple schools near Richmond that have a full time instructor. But these areas are VERY expensive to live. A buddy of mine teaches band up there (has a masters) and gets paid about 45,000 a year (3rd year teacher) His rent on a one bedroom, not enough room to do anything apartment is around 1,500 a month. Yikes!

I'm not ";unhappy"; here in VA, but it would be nice to teach percussion on a more full time basis with school systems that think music is important enough to properly staff their program. SO with that said, any reccomendations on locations?
[quote author=Lydian9 link=topic=2066.msg10539#msg10539 date=1193840977]
Kids are kids no matter where you are. You have your kids that will do everything it takes and more with complete support from the parents, and sitting right next to them will be a kid who is only in band because their parents won't let them quit, and whose parents call and complain for every reed they have to buy and every after school practice you have:)
[/quote]

Hahaha very true. I have noticed certain areas the work ethic of the kids and adults seem to be lower. Mostly in areas that used to have factories and the factories moved to china. Where the unemployment rate is around 5-15%. But around cities people tend to have a tad more ambition :)
I used to teach rich, now I teach poor so I've witnessed both. I've had middle class parents that treat you like you got their order wrong at Burger King and do nothing but make excuses for their kids, but I've also seen middle class parents that are smart enough to admit I know what's best for their kid and don't get in the way.
On the other hand, I've had dirt poor parents that sacrifice absolutely everything for their kid just to take lessons and have a pair of sticks, but then there are also the ones that would rather spend that money on beer. I've heard from a parent ";son, I just got off work from my first job and I'm on my way to my second and don't have time for this, now shut your mouth and do what Mr. Hicks says";.
Go to www.schoolmatters.com and it will fill you in on the socioeconomics behind the different districts.
Lots of good information. . . Felix. You nailed it. . .

[quote]I recently graduated from TCU in Fort Worth, TX with a BME in Percussion and now live in the Chicago area and attend NIU for conducting.�� Also, I graduated in 2002 from Cypress Falls HS in Houston, TX[/quote]

Felix. . .You do know Brandon Estes is in your area? Hope you guys are enjoying the frozen fingers and chapped lips. I know I don't miss it. . .

:)

Hey Robbie,

Yeah I saw him at few band competitions up here...although I haven't had much time to hang with him.  Haha not frozen yet, but I'm 'looking forward' to my first winter in the great Midwest.  How's the Falls?
[quote author=perpetualpoet link=topic=2066.msg10516#msg10516 date=1193754291]
Hello everyone!

My wife really wants to move to a big city somewhere, and I would like to go somewhere where the percussion scene is happening. I know big cities and music education don't always get along, but how is the texas area? I have heard good things and many of the corps are auditioning there (Hell, the crossmen moved there) So can anyone give me the hook up on what texas percussion is like?

Here's a background of percussion in most of VA: Most band directors have marching bands of around 40-80 people, concert bands around twice that, and a jazz band. Percussion ensembles are sort of starting to get on their feet but, most schools don't have a percussion instructor, nor can they afford one. There are a few RARE schools with more than one band director. Usually there is no staff during the marching season. A local college dude will come in and teach the percussion for a week, then they will be on their own. Usually when this happends (for some odd reason) the pit is not included in the instruction, so they are lacking in skill and lazy in demeanor. The closest corps are 8-10 hours away. There are a few percussion hotspots near D.C. and the coast (AIA circuit,wgi) and a couple schools near Richmond that have a full time instructor. But these areas are VERY expensive to live. A buddy of mine teaches band up there (has a masters) and gets paid about 45,000 a year (3rd year teacher) His rent on a one bedroom, not enough room to do anything apartment is around 1,500 a month. Yikes!

I'm not ";unhappy"; here in VA, but it would be nice to teach percussion on a more full time basis with school systems that think music is important enough to properly staff their program. SO with that said, any reccomendations on locations?
[/quote]

I don't know anything about teaching, (because I associate teaching jobs with equally satisfying occupations, like being a professional root canal recipient, or the wide receiver for an amateur lawn dart team), but if you're looking to gig, Austin is where it's at. Straight up. In fact, their official city motto, according to wikipedia, is ";The live music capital of the world."; And most everyone I've talked to has said that the live music scene in Austin is comparable to many of the more celebrated music cities in the nation, while the general culture of the place is pleasantly left-wing, green and progressive.

It's kind of a bigger version of Portland, Oregon, but with better weather and worse beer.

$.02
Way off topic, but I am feeling a little random at the moment after listening to 60 flute etudes at region orchestra auditions. . .

How in gods name did you get a Negative 43 Karma? :) LOL! <3
[quote author=RGreen link=topic=2066.msg10703#msg10703 date=1194933663]How in gods name did you get a Negative 43 Karma?[/quote]

I keep name-dropping my rival corporation's software: [i]Veritable[/i] Drumline. We feature over 11 sounds, including an Eskimo wedding chant for marching vibraphone, beat-box drum-speak yodeling and the sound of a stolen cement mixer backing over a telemarketer, which we think really sets us apart. We also self-deliver every software packet via bicycle and/or my sister's '81 El Dorado, with a tentative guarantee that your product will show up on your doorstep at about the time you serve either lunch or dinner, depending on how well lit your kitchen is. And while the makers of Virtual Drumline recorded their sound samples using world-class DCI drumlines, my cousin, Sal, found a PETA demonstration outside a local Dunkin' Donuts and used some nine-year-old's cell phone to capture the din of no less than two authentic stolen 15"; Slingerland drums from the 70's and the professionals who used them.

But I promised not to bring it up anymore, and I intend to keep that promise.
Personally i'm convinced that marsha is acctually someone else from the forum incognito. But that's just my guess....
[quote author=perpetualpoet link=topic=2066.msg10708#msg10708 date=1194960717]...i'm convinced that marsha is actually someone else from the forum...[/quote]

Could be.

You owe anyone on here money?

Login or Signup to post a comment