Sibelius 5.1 Template Released! - UPDATED 12-18-2007

[b]For the update information, go here:[/b]

[url]https://www.tapspace.com/forums/index.php?topic=2171.0[/url]

Hello folks

I know that many of you have been patiently waiting for the Sibelius 5 Template to be finished and released. Well, it is now done and on the Tapspace updates page ready for your immediate downloading.

[url]https://www.tapspace.com/updates/[/url]

Also, Jim has posted some very helpful video tutorials to aid you in getting started - as well as some tips on how to use the Template. The one toward the bottom of the page about the use of Noteheads is my personal favorite. Nicely done Jim!

[url]https://www.tapspace.com/support/tutorials/Sib51.html[/url]

During the final stages of the development, we managed to con a few testers into trying to find flaws within the functionality of the Template. Even though I apparently got most of it right the first time, they did find a few things that I had missed. A big thanks and round of applause to:  Bill C, Gabe C, Gary R, John M, Mat C and Murray G. Thanks guys!

Someone else who was a big key to this project was Sam Butler of Sibelius Software. Early on Jim referred to him as the ";sound set guru";. Without he and his colleagues' efforts we would not have the outstanding tool for writing music that we have today.

And lastly, but not leastly, I can't even begin to thank Jim Casella enough for all of the valuable input he has given throughout this whole endeavor.

Enjoy your new world of music notation.

Hugh

Welcome back Chris. Sounds like life's been good to you lately. Congrats!!!
hello all--it's bee a long time since i have been around these parts (been getting married and buying houses and stuff  like that for a while now--well worth it, but i have been out of the loop for a good while).  i hope to get back and be active here on the forum again.
having said that, i just watched the tutorial videos on VDL 2.5 with sibelius 5, and all i can say is WOW!  you guys have done incredible work with these products.  i now can't wait to get upgraded to VDL 2.5 and Sibelius 5.
I have the full version of kontakt 2 and looks like i probably really won't need it much anymore?!?
anyway, as i get upgraded over the next month or so i will be back with my usual questions and concerns.
i hope all is well for everyone and it's good to be back!
Chris
Thanks,

that seemed to fix it after I set the default sound set as the standard midi sounds.
[quote author=gbass598 link=topic=2087.msg11028#msg11028 date=1196806605]
Whenever I open sibelius, it starts loading a bunch of sound patches before the program even opens. It does it as soon as I click the icon to launch it and the Sibelius 5 menu appears. Then once I open the score, it reloads those sounds again.

I feel like I am wasting RAM with it doing this. Any ideas why the VDL 2.5 sounds are loading without even opening a score? Is it a setting I might have missed somewhere?
[/quote]

Go to you Sibelius 5.1 preferences window and click the ";Playback"; option. At the top of the screen, you'll see an option that says, ";When starting Sibelius, load this Playback configuration."; You should check that, then select your desired Playback configuration - preferably one that doesn't already have instruments loaded into it. To edit your playback configuration so is has no instruments by default, simply go to";Playback Devices,"; select an active instance of KP2, and click the ";Show"; button. When KP2 window appears, in the ";load/save"; button, select ";Reset Multi"; which will delete all loaded instruments. Reapeat this step for any other active instances, then save your playback configuration. Once you've done this, you'll see that Sibelius won't load all those instruments upon starting, and it will load instruments only when you launch/playback a score that calls on instruments to be loaded.
I have a question related to the templates.

I recently upgraded to Sibelius 5.1 and watched the tutorial videos.  maybe this has something to do with my sound setup that I have set up to use with my templates.

Whenever I open sibelius, it starts loading a bunch of sound patches before the program even opens. It does it as soon as I click the icon to launch it and the Sibelius 5 menu appears. Then once I open the score, it reloads those sounds again.

I feel like I am wasting RAM with it doing this. Any ideas why the VDL 2.5 sounds are loading without even opening a score? Is it a setting I might have missed somewhere?
I agree with Gabe. It's probably a good idea to keep the flow of what you're doing so far. Bringing Sib4/VDL scores into Sib 5 will entail some busy work of deleting former ";staff type changes"; and replacing them with the new ";instrument changes."; Depending on your score, this can be a bit time consuming. Also depending on what patches you used before, whether or not they had an actual staff type in Sibelius 4 may affect whether or not you'll need to re-enter those parts to conform to the mapping/noteheads used in the new instruments (staff types) in the ";classic"; template for Sibelius 5. Due to the differences between the VDL mapping in Sib4 and Sib5, these types of score conversions will be less automatic than in prior versions.
Cool.  Thanks Gabe.
[quote author=Keith Anderson link=topic=2087.msg10912#msg10912 date=1196186155]
[quote author=Jim Casella link=topic=2087.msg10885#msg10885 date=1196002156]
Robby - I don't have a quick answer for you just yet, but what you're describing is sure to come up from time to time; taking old scores into the new template. The problem you're experiencing is due to the fact that the mapping/noteheads have changed for what we hope will be a more universal format moving forward. As a result, the noteheads/mapping from your old Sib4 template, won't all match those of the new template. Our plan for this is to make available a ";classic"; template. Early testing of this has been somewhat successful, but there are many things in that template that will still need to be tested to ensure it's functioning properly. I can't say when exactly this may be available, but at least wanted to address what you're experiencing. For right now, the official VDL/Sibelius 5.1 template is primarily intended for new projects moving forward. Compatibility with older projects will likely be handled by the ";classic"; template. More info will be forthcoming.
[/quote]

Jim, I have a similar question along the same lines.  I'm about halfway through this year's indoor show using Sib4.  It sounds like it would be best for me to wait to install Sib5.1 (that I just got in the mail) until the classic template is made available.  Would you agree? 
[/quote]

Yes, write your show with the set up you know.  When you have some down time you can open up the template and start making your way around the new digs. 

Gabe
[quote author=Jim Casella link=topic=2087.msg10885#msg10885 date=1196002156]
Robby - I don't have a quick answer for you just yet, but what you're describing is sure to come up from time to time; taking old scores into the new template. The problem you're experiencing is due to the fact that the mapping/noteheads have changed for what we hope will be a more universal format moving forward. As a result, the noteheads/mapping from your old Sib4 template, won't all match those of the new template. Our plan for this is to make available a ";classic"; template. Early testing of this has been somewhat successful, but there are many things in that template that will still need to be tested to ensure it's functioning properly. I can't say when exactly this may be available, but at least wanted to address what you're experiencing. For right now, the official VDL/Sibelius 5.1 template is primarily intended for new projects moving forward. Compatibility with older projects will likely be handled by the ";classic"; template. More info will be forthcoming.
[/quote]

Jim, I have a similar question along the same lines.  I'm about halfway through this year's indoor show using Sib4.  It sounds like it would be best for me to wait to install Sib5.1 (that I just got in the mail) until the classic template is made available.  Would you agree? 
[quote author=Flamdragz link=topic=2087.msg10880#msg10880 date=1195937573]
Here's a question...

I inputted a handwritten percussion ensemble score about 1.5 years ago.�� I used Sibelius 4.�� I want to open it up in Sib 5 using VDL 2.5 sounds.�� Some of the sounds went over but not all of them.

How can I get Sib 5 to use the Sounds of VDL 2.5?�� I tried to do some instrument changes, but VDL 2.5 isn't an option in the family menu.�� Any suggestions?

Robby
[/quote]

Here's a question...

I inputted a handwritten percussion ensemble score about 1.5 years ago.  I used Sibelius 4.  I want to open it up in Sib 5 using VDL 2.5 sounds.  Some of the sounds went over but not all of them.

How can I get Sib 5 to use the Sounds of VDL 2.5?  I tried to do some instrument changes, but VDL 2.5 isn't an option in the family menu.  Any suggestions?

Robby
Wow! As you said, once we start getting into things with this new template, we'll begin to see all the work that went into it and how absolutely amazing it is! Thank you all Hugh and Jim and everyone else that did this. Absolutely amazing! I've been a VDL user since it came out with just the battery several years ago, and to see the work you guys have put in to build this to what it is today is really awesome. What the heck will you come up with next?! :-) Thanks again.

Brian
If you're doing it in Sibelius, I think all you'd have to do is uncheck ";Live Playback"; in the Play menu. I'm not quite sure. If it's Live Playback that's doing this, selecting View>Live Playback Velocities should show you (on-screen) which notes have these velocities applied to them.
Damn Jim....you are super fast today.  I appreciate it mucho!

Hopefully one last thing.  I am inputting a score I had done in finale about 10 years ago or more.  Everything notation wise is working very well.  Only one small problem with playback.  It seems to have recorded my key velocities, and when I play back a score, I am hearing little and big accents occurring in my playback of a single line of 16th notes in the snare line.  Is there a way to have it ignore key velocities?

Robby
It depends if you're using wildcards to display your title. Altering the data in the ";Score Info"; window will only affect text items that are using wildcards. If you're unsure about what wildcards are, they're pretty slick. Check out ";wildcards"; in the Sibelius reference.

If you're stuck, just delete the title text currently displayed in your score, and just re-create it (Create>Text>Title)

If you're using regular text for your title, try replacing it with this: [b]\$TITLE\[/b]
Doing so will display whatever you have entered for the ";Title"; field in the Score Info window.
Login or Signup to post a comment