Mapping multiple instruments to the same staff

I've been using the template for a little while now, and I'm starting to get the hang of things. The instrument changes are great, but I'm not sure what to do when I want 2 instruments playing at the same time in the same staff. In my case, I want the drumset to use the manual hi-hat, but I can't figure out how to get it to work. The other case is in an orchestral score where the bass drum, snare, and cymbals are mapped to the same staff.
[quote author=johnw91 link=topic=2162.msg11163#msg11163 date=1197668228]
... I want the drumset to use the manual hi-hat, but I can't figure out how to get it to work.
[/quote]

You could do this rather easily in Sibelius via sound set and instrument definition modifications. However, the problem is going to be in the available sounds in the KontaktPlayer2 patch that is loaded. As far as I know, Sibelius will only load one patch per instrument. You may just have to use an [b]ossia[/b] or something in the places you want to have the manual hi-hat sounds (for playback). For the print version you can make it look however you want since playback won't matter at this point.

... The other case is in an orchestral score where the bass drum, snare, and cymbals are mapped to the same staff.
[/quote]

For this you can use one of the [b]Combination[/b] instruments. I can't remember which one has both the BD and snare sounds, but you can look in the [b]Template Readme[/b] or the [b]VDL 2.5 User Guide[/b] to find what you want. (Cymbal sounds are included in almost all of the Combos.)

Hugh
haha john, whats up, its chris kouri from line last year. you gotta come over and help me with my sibelius/vdl stuff man, mines is all messed up :-p
[quote author=chznvrt link=topic=2162.msg11164#msg11164 date=1197669591]
... I want the drumset to use the manual hi-hat, but I can't figure out how to get it to work.
[/quote]

You could do this rather easily in Sibelius via sound set and instrument definition modifications. However, the problem is going to be in the available sounds in the KontaktPlayer2 patch that is loaded. As far as I know, Sibelius will only load one patch per instrument. You may just have to use an [b]ossia[/b] or something in the places you want to have the manual hi-hat sounds (for playback). For the print version you can make it look however you want since playback won't matter at this point.

... The other case is in an orchestral score where the bass drum, snare, and cymbals are mapped to the same staff.
[/quote]

For this you can use one of the [b]Combination[/b] instruments. I can't remember which one has both the BD and snare sounds, but you can look in the [b]Template Readme[/b] or the [b]VDL 2.5 User Guide[/b] to find what you want. (Cymbal sounds are included in almost all of the Combos.)

Hugh

[/quote]

Is it the same Idea foe Finale?
This can be done just as easily in Finale with the use of STAFF STYLES and then either PATCH or CHANNEL CHANGES.�� If you go to the STAFF MENU -->APPLY STAFF STYLES, this is a menu that has a default list of Staff Styles that you can use.�� If you go to the STAFF MENU -->DEFINE STAFF STYLES, you will see a window that looks like the STAFF ATTRIBUTES.�� You can then choose the Percussion Mapping by going to NOTATION STYLE:PERCUSSION and then clicking SELECT.�� You would then choose the Map that you need to use for this specific Staff Style.�� This process will change the staff type, but you will still need to do a Channel Change to change the sound of that staff using a Text Expression that you can make with the EXPRESSION TOOL.

You can apply the STAFF STYLE to a partial measure, a measure, or a group of measures.�� In that same Staff Style Attributes window you can also change the attributes of the Staff Lines so that you can only have 1 staff line if you need, etc.

Id be happy to clarify further for you if you need.
It tells me every time I want to do just a partial measure that styles like this can only be applied to the whole measure. If you could help me with this, my trouble days are finally over!
I just checked, using Finale 2007 & 2008. It is possible to apply styles to partial measures.

What version of Finale are you running?

Do you have any sample files  you can provide and I can take a look? (just 1 or 2 bars, including the staff style you are trying to apply)

Derek
Hi -- can someone explain how to apply staff style changes to partial measures in Finale 2007?  Thanks!! 

Jeremy
[quote author=jeremy116 link=topic=2162.msg13353#msg13353 date=1212276999]
Hi -- can someone explain how to apply staff style changes to partial measures in Finale 2007?�� Thanks!!��

Jeremy
[/quote]

Jeremy,

You may want to consult your User Manual by going to the HELP MENU -->USER MANUAL -->INDEX and check under Partial Measures, as this is well documented in the Finale User Manual on Page 3-4 (Chapter 3, page 4 ";Edit Menu";).

You can also check the Finale Knowledge Base at [url]http://makemusic.custhelp.com/[/url] and type in ";Partial Measures"; as Keywords and you will get some great directions regarding this Finale feature as the first option.

Please also include your System Specifications, etc in your Profile, so that we can be aware if you are using Sibelius or Finale, and other information that is helpful to us in troubleshooting issues you may have.  Please check this link for those guidelines:

[url]https://www.tapspace.com/forums/index.php?topic=1410.0[/url]
Login or Signup to post a comment