Can we say 27.5in viewing space!

Just bought a new LCD monitor today with a 27.5in viewing area! (Christmas Present to myself) You can see 4-5 pages of the full scores without having to squint... :) It's the Hanns-G LCD monitor with 3ms response time. . . Best Buy had'em for 599.00. It's a STEAL! Most monitors this size are in the 1000.00's so I couldn't pass this up. If you are looking to upgrade. . . Check into this monitor. It Rocks and it has other component video inputs so it can also double as a HDTV monitor in 1080p! Merry Christmas to all and be safe!
so i was at Best Buy today, and checked out this monitor... WOWZERS!! this thing is huge and looks amazing!! gotta give the thumbs up on this purchase... i am supposed to be getting a nice little paycheck in the mail in a week, and i am definitely thinking that i am gonna get this... i hope the sale lasts that long... one question, i am using a Dell Inspiron 6000, can i just plug it into my VGA port and use it as a second monitor that way, or do i need to buy extra parts?
[quote author=palosjr link=topic=2188.msg11369#msg11369 date=1198712589]
so i was at Best Buy today, and checked out this monitor... WOWZERS!! this thing is huge and looks amazing!! gotta give the thumbs up on this purchase... i am supposed to be getting a nice little paycheck in the mail in a week, and i am definitely thinking that i am gonna get this... i hope the sale lasts that long... one question, i am using a Dell Inspiron 6000, can i just plug it into my VGA port and use it as a second monitor that way, or do i need to buy extra parts?
[/quote]

Well...  Yes & No.  Can you plug it in, and have it work?  Yes.  The problem comes in with the video card in your machine.  If you have a good video card, yes, it will likely run it.  If you have the likely non-upgraded card, it's a long-shot that it will.

Typically, laptops are only engineered with video cards with the screen it has in mind.

You will most likely be able to run the monitor in any case, but it will be at a lesser resolution than you want.  Only a kick-butt card will run a big monitor like that.

Finally, some newer monitors are so highly-resolved that you have to get a dual video card, use the special combining cable, and use both ports for a single monitor.  This is very typical of 2560*1600 monitors.

Your documentation on that video card will tell you, and don't trust any other source.
Login or Signup to post a comment