Mac Pro (Early 2008) - Ultimate Composer/Arrangers Machine

Just wanted to throw a note out there about the new Mac Pro that was just released this morning.  What a dream machine this could be!

[url]http://www.apple.com/macpro/[/url]

Those are some crazy specs!
I did the student dev thing several years ago to buy a dual-G4 and a 20"; Apple display (back when they cost waaaay too much.) It was a good deal because I broke even when I sold the system.  Apple stores often have display models for sale, but you have to call around.  I saved $500 on an iMac this way, and again broke even when I sold it later on.  This is a good way to keep your system current without losing your investment.
I got the MBP 2.5 / 17"; Hi-rez glossy/LED backlight, 7200 rpm.  I'll let you know, but I'm sure it'll be a workhorse.

I'm also hoping that with this dev kit, I can turn my homebrew into a mac, too, since it comes with a license!
Hey congrats on the buy!  Which model did you end up going with?  Really good machines especially if you want to be portable as well.  Let us know how the setup is working out for you.
Hey all,

I wanted to report in that I'd finally taken the plunge.  I bought a pro-level Mac; specifically a MacBook Pro that ran me a good deal of $.  What I found might make you interested, since I got a better deal by buying more than I needed.

Specifically, if you intend on buying a machine that retails over $2500, it is a better deal to become a ";Select"; developer, and use their hardware discount.  It costs $500, but you get 20% off your entire order.  It's a great deal.

Even better, if you're a college student (must be 18), you can get a better discount than any bookstore...  probably.  It's the same 20% off the entire order, and a student dev membership is only $99.

It basically got me my sales tax back, and that's not a small amount, but I also now have access to all of their beta releases.  Take a look at this option if you're thinking high end.  It may very well save you money, even if you never use it.  Good luck, and read the details!
I thought the brilliant part was that it's a full keyboard and offers a 64GB SSD.  Small, but pretty cool.  Definitely not a DAW, but a fancy product. 
Check this out-

http://www.apple.com/macbookair/

The computer itself kinda sucks in regards to RAM and storage, but the idea is brilliant.  I'd love to be able to wirelessly transfer session files back and forth from my desktop and laptop.  Or just install programs on one computer using the other's drive, just because I can.

The name is kinda lame though.  Where do they go from there?  The MacBook Particle?
Thanks Jesse, this is something I've been considering and something I will elaborate on via a separate thread a little later today. 
Here's a good setup for music creation

cpu: Intel Q6600 quad core cpu - $275
mainboard: LGA 775 mainboard - $80
ram: 4 GB DDR2 - $100
hard drive: Raptor 74 GB 10k rpm drive for OS and Samples - $150 // 500 GB for storage - $100
graphics: nVidia 8600 GTS (assuming you want to play some current generation games) - $120
sound: M-Audio Audiophile - $110
DVD-RW: $30
Nice Antec Case + power supply: $130

Total: $1,095 + tax from newegg.com
You could easily knock off $200 by going with a cheaper graphics card, a single hard drive, and still have a [i]very[/i] fast system.

Building it is pretty straight forward- it's just a lot of stuff to plug in.  There isn't much configuration needed with modern mainboards.

All this talk of building a PC has sparked my creative side.  I know how to put together the components, but I'm clueless on what one would buy.  The idea of purchasing/creating a machine for home and then using the Mactop as a portable base of operations is something I would like to consider.

Supposed I wanted to put together a machine to handle VDL 2.5, Garritan CMB Library and full marching band scores, including winds, battery and percussion, without hiccuping.  Any ideas of what that would cost?
[quote author=J Mattson link=topic=2223.msg11662#msg11662 date=1200215032]
I just wish Steve Jobs would make OS X available to everyone.  Things like the iPrograms are awesome and have no equal on windows. 
[/quote]
With this, I totally agree.  I would buy OSX in a heartbeat.  I'd love to become a Mac-head, but I won't do it knowing that I have to stay on the Apple hardware train.  Less tinkering, by design when you buy their hardware.  Yep.  But $4$, it's very expensive.

The other thing that ";homebrew"; PCs let you do is something you don't get the option for on any pre-built, and that is to put in your own cooling system.  I had a dull-roar cessna type Dell.  My build-out is now so quiet that I've been asked a few times if it is indeed on.  Silent, no.  But I'd bet you the dB meter that mine's much quieter than that Mac.

Imagine if Microsoft required that you buy hardware from them... 
My huge complaint about Apple is the lack of ";pro"; options when configuring a system.  There's only [i]one[/i] workstation level graphics card, and it's $2850.  On the PC side you have a wide price range of options from not only ATI and nVidia, but Matrox and 3Dlabs.  For video/animation people, a single hard drive is not fast enough to play back uncompressed video without dropping frames.  Apple [i]finally[/i] started offering a 15k rpm drive this week, but again it's the top end at $600.  There are great 10k drives for under $200 on the market.  There is still no RAID configuration option when purchasing either.  Even a $400 Dell has that.  And for us musicians, there are no soundcard options.  Now that Apple uses Intel, I would imagine it's the same integrated sound found in PeeCees.  I'd like to see some M-Audio options or something.

So for me, a Mac Pro out of the box would still require me to buy add-ons at a 3rd party site and reformat/reinstall everything. 

I just wish Steve Jobs would make OS X available to everyone.  Things like the iPrograms are awesome and have no equal on windows. 
This is an interesting point. Having not delved into the world of building my own workstations, it's interesting to hear that type of comparison. There will always be valid arguments on both sides of the mac/pc debate, and it's probably no mystery that I'm something of a mac fanboy. From my (biased) perspective, even though Macs can seem to be more expensive, it's generally taken me more steps and/or extra purchases (souped up soundcard, video card, peripheral ports, etc) to get a windows box to an equal point of Mac performance. This is (of course) coming from someone who's not interested in hardware tinkering. In the hands of someone who knows the ins-and-outs of building their windows box, the bargain of piecing a machine together for a lower price makes sense. To me however, the time lost in troubleshooting Windows' more common flakiness is worth a lot to me. Definitely worth a few extra bucks up front to know my system is generally configured for some pretty heavy lifting right out of the box.
I was looking at the workstations offered by Dell and HP and you definitely save a lot if you buy the Mac Pro.  A 3 GHz 8-core stock Mac Pro is $3,600, while a similarly configured Dell Precision is about $4,700.  For a Windows person who doesn't want to build a system, they could install XP on the Mac and save a grand :)
[quote author=perpetualpoet link=topic=2223.msg11575#msg11575 date=1199928844]
[quote author=drumcat link=topic=2223.msg11567#msg11567 date=1199893775]
You would hope.�� BTW, what's VLD, Charlie?�� :)
[/quote]

VLD is a revolutionary new program called ";Virtual Line of Drums"; It was programmed by Cim Jasella a few years back :)
[/quote]

Nice Recovery!!! 8)
[quote author=drumcat link=topic=2223.msg11567#msg11567 date=1199893775]
You would hope.�� BTW, what's VLD, Charlie?�� :)
[/quote]

VLD is a revolutionary new program called ";Virtual Line of Drums"; It was programmed by Cim Jasella a few years back :)
Login or Signup to post a comment