OT - The Build a Computer Thread

I figured I would lock this away in its own thread.  I hope to tap the mind of Tapspacers to put together a new machine. 

This is what Jesse had suggested...

[quote]cpu: Intel Q6600 quad core cpu - $275
mainboard: LGA 775 mainboard - $80
ram: 4 GB DDR2 - $100
hard drive: Raptor 74 GB 10k rpm drive for OS and Samples - $150 // 500 GB for storage - $100
graphics: nVidia 8600 GTS (assuming you want to play some current generation games) - $120
sound: M-Audio Audiophile - $110
DVD-RW: $30
Nice Antec Case + power supply: $130
[/quote]

Now in doing some research ont he motherboard, I've run into configurations for

Quad-core / Core 2 Duo (4)
Quad-core / Core 2 Duo / Pentium D / Celeron(33)
Quad-core / Core 2 Extreme / Core 2 Duo(1)
Quad-core / Core 2 Extreme / Core 2 Duo / Pentium(118)

What's the difference?

Thanks guys.
Or XP Pro 64.  32-bit operating systems won't recognize more than 4GB of RAM.  When the RAM speed is up in the 800 range, I'm not sure how much of a difference bus speed makes.  This is based on a post I read somewhere, though, and the info might be dated with the higher RAM speeds now available. 
As long as the bus speed is half the memory speed, you're ok.

Apparently you're well aware of the 64-bit issues then.  I have my copy of newegg oem vista 64, and I wish like hell I'd gone with a mac now.  I'm REALLY hoping that SP1 for vista works better, but if it doesn't, I think I'm switching camps.  We'll see.
Really?  Thats why I ask the gurus here :).
I'm just worried about hiccuping and such during playback/recording of my Sib/Finale files.  To give an idea, we're looking full charts of Winds (Flutes, Clarinets, Alto/Tenor Saxes), Brass (Trumpets, Baritones, Trombones, Tubas, Mellos) and Full Battery and Pit/Traps.  My Powerbook has problems with 2 gigs of Ram, and it records to an external and only does battery/pit.
[quote author=drumcat link=topic=2244.msg11970#msg11970 date=1201928150]
So are you planning on running Vista 64-bit then?  Otherwise, anything over 3 gigs of ram is a total waste...
[/quote]

Actually, that is a common misconception.  You do not have to buy Vista 64-BIt to utilize more than 3 GB, Vista 32-Bit recognizes and utilizes it as well.
[quote author=ilovedrumline link=topic=2244.msg13489#msg13489 date=1213389060]
Actually, that is a common misconception.�� You do not have to buy Vista 64-BIt to utilize more than 3 GB, Vista 32-Bit recognizes and utilizes it as well.
[/quote]

...so you don't have to dig through drumcat's link, you [b]do[/b] need a 64-bit version to use 4 or more GB of RAM in addition to having the correct hardware specs.  As long as your hardware has drivers, I think it's the best OS version of Windows you can use right now. 

Supposedly Windows 7 due in 2010 and Mac OS 10.6 in 2009 are both aimed at using less resources and speeding up computers rather than adding new features.

[quote author=J Mattson link=topic=2244.msg13493#msg13493 date=1213414563]
[quote author=ilovedrumline link=topic=2244.msg13489#msg13489 date=1213389060]
Actually, that is a common misconception.  You do not have to buy Vista 64-BIt to utilize more than 3 GB, Vista 32-Bit recognizes and utilizes it as well.
[/quote]

...so you don't have to dig through drumcat's link, you [b]do[/b] need a 64-bit version to use 4 or more GB of RAM in addition to having the correct hardware specs.  As long as your hardware has drivers, I think it's the best OS version of Windows you can use right now. 

[/quote]

After doing some research  (I was wondering why my 32-Bit OS was recognizing 8GB of memory) you were correct Vista 32-Bit does [b]not[/b] use it.  I am running Server 2008 32-Bit which does.  It is essentially Vista, (in the same way that Server 2003 was essentially XP)  It just offers more features and utilities for high end workstations and servers. 

Login or Signup to post a comment