iMac question

Hello all,
I am seriously considering switching to Mac...specifically...I am considering purchasing an iMac.  I am looking at the 24"; 2.4Ghz model.  I would definitely want to up the memory from 1 gig to 2 (or more).  My question is, will there be a noticable difference between the 2.4Ghz and 2.8Ghz processor?  Obivously, I am concerned with the performance of VDL 2.5 (with Sibelius 5). 

Also, is now a good time to purchase?  I know development/release cycles can make a new computer obsolete very quickly (not as much the case on the Mac side, from what I am told).  Are we expecting anything new on the iMac front?  Any price drops? 

I would appreciate any input anyone could offer.

Thanks...
I found that on macrumors also.  I was just finalizing my purchase plans, and decided to check there again.  Glad I did.  Hopefully something will happen soon.  I hate waiting on this sort of thing.  Of course either way, you end up with a great machine.  It's just that feeling of getting a new computer only to find that they just came out with something a little better.  Kind of a bummer...

Thanks for the heads up.
Someone posted comment about MacRumors; I thought I'd follow that up with a link to their buyer's guide:
http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

This has information on product cycles.  It states that the iMac is due for a revision very soon, so you might want to hold off for now.

Also, the 2.4GHz model with 2GB of RAM would be more than enough for VDL+Sibelius/Finale, and so on.  I run both (simultaneously) on a 1.67GHz PowerBook G4 (2GB of RAM) with no problems at all.
Haha cell phone...yes. 

Sorry I've been trying to get back in to the swing of things at school, we had the incident at NIU and all. 

Yeah drumcat (Sorry I've been on here a while and still can't remember names that well) is right about the Air.  The ";wow"; factor is pretty much what it entails.  I mean the screen is great, the brightest one Apple sells at this point and soo clear; and the battery life really is great for what the other laptops are rated.  Essentially it really is for the business people who have the money AND want it.  I mean in terms of what it does, it's enough for most ";consumers,"; but for that amount of money you're better off almost getting the entry model MBP.  And now with the new laptop line (I didn't realize they would come this soon!) for $1,999 you can get a 15"; laptop with 2GB RAM, 200GB HD, 256MB Vram!, and a much faster processor.  But I don't need to digress, I'm sure a lot of you guys know this stuff already. 

But...it is a pretty sweet looking laptop...too much though.  Although, it's interesting to see how things will play out in the next 3-5 years based on the Air's design.

By the way, thanks for all the praise guys, I appreciate it much.

-Felix
I checked it out at the Mac Store yesterday.

It reminded me of Ben Stiller's cell phone in Zoolander.
fair enough...

nothing would surprise me from Apple (I'm a life long Mac person).
I think you might be surprised...  I wouldn't say it's any less durable than any other lappy.
Based on just the tv commercials alone, I am afraid I would BREAK it.  How durable could it be [i]that[/i] thin?!
Hey Ralph,

I've heard mixed things about the MBA.  If you need portability, it's awesome.  If portability isn't your need, you may want to look a different way.  The battery is pretty good.  The speed, not so much.  Nothing bad, just works.  Low on ports.

High premium for form and wow factor; well deserved kudos on design, but some shortcomings in features, by design.  Go check it out at an Apple store.  You won't appreciate it until you pick it up.  ;)
Felix rocks!!!
Hey Felix,

What's the word on the MacBook Air?
Thanks to everyone for the input.  I am definitely on board.  Just have to line up the funds:)...
i definitely have my new source for RAM!!!  Thanks Felix!
No doubt!

Thanks for all of that Felix!
Huge ups for Felix!
Hey just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in there as a long-time Mac user and employee for a [i]certain[/i] company...

If you have the money I'd definitely go for the 2.8 GHz model.�� Correct me if I'm wrong, but the processor handles all of the polyphony involved in any DAW (e.g. Kontakt and Sibelius/Finale).�� And also shoot for 4 GB of ram.�� If you're in a budget, go for the 2.4 and def. do the ram, for the money I don't think you're going to see a HUGE difference, but it's always nice to have the extra speed bump.�� The only thing to consider upgrading on the site would be the HD space.�� VDL2 and any other samples you might use start to add up after a while...

Regardless of buying refurb or new, don't upgrade the RAM on the Apple store website, we overcharge for the ram.�� Buy the computer with the minimum and upgrade the RAM on Crucial.com or another reseller.�� (Crucial supplies the ram to Apple...) For the price of 4GB from Apple (~$800-850) you can get the same amount of RAM from crucial for $114!

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=iMac%202.4GHz%20Intel%20Core%202%20Duo%20%2824-inch%29&pl=Apple&cat=RAM

Also, if there's any way to prove that you teach, you can get $100 off a new model.�� Some other things to think about are definitely the AppleCare.�� Some people don't think it's worth it, but it really is.�� Some people walk out of the store with a new computer because of it, so think what you like, but you can really get a good ROI for the money.

In terms of product cycle, the iMac's were recently refreshed, and Jesse's right, if you see anything in the near future it'll just be speed bumps, but I would have to disagree with the Quad-core in the laptops or iMacs, at least for this year.�� The upcoming processor update will be a size decrease as well as efficiency (in terms of heat and processing power) which we'll probably see in the MBP first and then MacBook, following with the iMac.�� (But that's my very humble opinion, and I could be completely wrong).

Hope some of this helps and welcome to the Mac family.

-Felix
Login or Signup to post a comment