**Read this before updating to Sibelius 5.2**

Greetings,

Today, Sibelius released the 5.2 update. We are asking all Virtual Drumline users currently engaged in projects running in 5.1 to please hold off on this update for a short while. Certain items in the way Sound IDs have been reformatted will cause the prior, 5.1 Tapspace VDL sound set not to function properly and a proper template/soundset update is in the works and should be available soon.

Thanks for your patience, and please spread the word to any other VDL users you may know who are currently working within Sibelius 5.1.
Indeed. We don't foresee major problems with this and haven't heard of any meltdowns yet.

One warning which came from the folks at Sibelius is this. Be careful importing or exporting house styles if you're using 5.2.5 with the VDL template for 5.2. They mentioned that if there are similar noteheads existing in both house styles, they may be merged in a way that deletes some of the necessary custom noteheads existing within the 5.2 template.

We will eventually have more information on more specifics. But in the meantime, this is just something to be aware of if you proceed into 5.2.5.

Never download an update of any kind mid-project though.  If you're writing a show, finish the show first. 
[quote author=FSmith link=topic=2415.msg14921#msg14921 date=1226645104]
Hey Jim, any word on the update to 5.2.5 for Sib. and how that will affect VDL?
[/quote]

Due to busy schedules, etcetera, anything related to 5.2.5 has not been fully tested (will be eventually though).

Based on my understanding of what the 5.2.5 update fixed, you should not have any problems using the 5.2 Template with it. If, of course, you come across something that doesn't seem right, please let us know.

Any other important information we find will surely be posted.

Late
Hugh
Hey Jim, any word on the update to 5.2.5 for Sib. and how that will affect VDL?
Jojo - The 5.2 template is actually available now so there's no need to downgrade to 5.1. Sorry if there was any confusion - it was announced in a different thread a few weeks ago. Here's the info:

https://www.tapspace.com/support/tutorials/sib52.html
i need to downgrade to 5.1 but i dont know why, maybe the guys who run sibelius are punishing us drummers, i dont know, but the site doesnt have 5.1 any more... only 5.2 >.<"; heeeelp! please.
[quote author=Jim Casella link=topic=2415.msg13608#msg13608 date=1214420903]

... [size=12pt]your mileage may vary[/size].

[/quote]

;D ;D
[quote author=Mab link=topic=2415.msg13607#msg13607 date=1214420119]
Thanks very much, Mr. Casella...that's a very useful dialog box!�� It helped a little, though I'm still experiencing some weird glitches with the wind instruments (not your bag, I know).

I got to fiddling around with those sixteenth notes, and finally figured out that it's MUCH better if I take the ";closed"; symbol off of each note--it seems to cause problems when both that and the accent are over a note, and I wonder if [i]that's[/i] where the ";5.1/5.2"; issue comes in?�� I'm going to try out that sound set you mentioned (is it just as simple as selecting the new sound set, or will I have to re-assign each instrument individually?) and see if that helps, but for now, it's certainly acceptable to have a looser hi-hat sound for that section.
[/quote]

If you want to try out the unofficial sound set, all you'll need to do is install it (by placing the XML file in the ";Sounds"; folder - the same one you installed your other VDL sound set into that was included with the 5.1 template). Once you've done that, then restarted Sibelius, you should see it as an option in the Playback Devices window where you can assign it to any active KP2 instances. You won't need to reassign any instruments in the actual score. Since this is an ";unofficial"; release, your mileage may vary.
Thanks very much, Mr. Casella...that's a very useful dialog box!  It helped a little, though I'm still experiencing some weird glitches with the wind instruments (not your bag, I know).

I got to fiddling around with those sixteenth notes, and finally figured out that it's MUCH better if I take the ";closed"; symbol off of each note--it seems to cause problems when both that and the accent are over a note, and I wonder if [i]that's[/i] where the ";5.1/5.2"; issue comes in?  I'm going to try out that sound set you mentioned (is it just as simple as selecting the new sound set, or will I have to re-assign each instrument individually?) and see if that helps, but for now, it's certainly acceptable to have a looser hi-hat sound for that section.
[quote author=Mab link=topic=2415.msg13543#msg13543 date=1213995722]
How 'bout this one:

I just bought and installed Sibelius (and VDL 2.5), and the disk comes with v.5.2.

Before realizing the mistake I was making (in other words, before checking the forum), I went ahead and downloaded the 5.1 template, since it seemed to be the easiest way to get started using the VDL instruments, and went on my merry way arranging my show for next year.

I've got about a minute's worth of show completed, and the next section starts with a hi-hat 16th note check pattern, and on playback, it's all over the place in terms of pulse.�� So I come here to see if that's a known issue, and of course come across this announcement.

Um...help?�� Will I have to wait until the new template comes out to finish the show?�� When the new template does come out, am I going to have to re-input all the show I've already written?

Or is the issue I'm experiencing even related to the template?�� The sound itself is fine, it's just the pulse (I've actually noticed it some, to a much smaller degree, in some of the wind instruments as well).

Thanks in advance!�� *crosses fingers*��

(edit) P.S.�� Just noticed everyone's posting their system specs...1.8ghz Dual Core, 1GB RAM
[/quote]

Mab - Sorry for the delay with the 5.2 template. The good news is that it sounds like you're experiencing pretty good results in terms of getting your actual sounds out. This is good. If your main concern is simply the timing of the sounds, this may just have something to do with your audio settings within Sibelius. Go into the ";Playback Devices"; window and click the ";Audio Engine Options"; button. Your ";buffer size"; setting here will raise or lower your latency which can sometimes have an affect on timing. Try fiddling with this setting to see if you achieve better results, and let us know if that helps.

You will be fine to use the 5.1 template within Sibelius 5.2. Which [b]sound set[/b] you use (within the Playback Devices window) will determine how well all the details of each instrument will perform. Once the 5.2 template (and sound sets) have been released, there will be a specific sound set to assign when using a score originating in the 5.1 template. I know this sounds confusing, but we will do our best to document this clearly.

In the meantime, you may also want to try using Hugh's (chznvrt) ";unofficial"; sound set which he's made available via a link posted earlier in this topic. Some people have been using that with pretty good results.
How 'bout this one:

I just bought and installed Sibelius (and VDL 2.5), and the disk comes with v.5.2.

Before realizing the mistake I was making (in other words, before checking the forum), I went ahead and downloaded the 5.1 template, since it seemed to be the easiest way to get started using the VDL instruments, and went on my merry way arranging my show for next year.

I've got about a minute's worth of show completed, and the next section starts with a hi-hat 16th note check pattern, and on playback, it's all over the place in terms of pulse.  So I come here to see if that's a known issue, and of course come across this announcement.

Um...help?  Will I have to wait until the new template comes out to finish the show?  When the new template does come out, am I going to have to re-input all the show I've already written?

Or is the issue I'm experiencing even related to the template?  The sound itself is fine, it's just the pulse (I've actually noticed it some, to a much smaller degree, in some of the wind instruments as well).

Thanks in advance!  *crosses fingers* 

(edit) P.S.  Just noticed everyone's posting their system specs...1.8ghz Dual Core, 1GB RAM
Once again, I am in no way bashing Tapspace and VDL 2.5, or how well it worked with Sibelius 5.1.  I thought it worked really well.  My frustration, is that Sibelius released an update that either was unannounced to Tapspace, or didn't take them into consideration.  Some of us, myself included downloaded, the update before realizing that I shouldn't have.  You would think that Sib would let Tapspace know of its update and change to give them time to get things going before they release an update that is somewhat incompatible with the current VDL soundset.

Robby
I've been very busy with my Sibelius 5.1 and VDL 2.5.1 so I haven't had the opportunity to visit the Forum as much in the past month or so. 
I just wanted to say that I am very satisfied with the results that I get with my software (Sibelius and VDL).  Patience is definitely a virtue and a skill that is developed. 
Please keep in mind that this new playback structure in Sibelius 5 is very different than the old way of doing things manually via midi channels and such. The whole concept of Sound IDs is very progressive and some of these changes in 5.1 to 5.2 are to ensure better compatibility as the software moves forward.

As to the idea that Sibelius is unorganized, the truth is quite the contrary. Much of the reason VDL works so well in Sibelius 5 is due to their commitment to accommodating every inherent detail with complex percussion mapping. Virtual Drumline has been really helping drive that development and Sibelius has been very accommodating for such a daunting feat. So before getting too worked up over a brief delay in an incremental update, realize how much is possible now that wasn't possible even less than a year ago.

Things are progressing as quickly as possible, but please be patient so we can ensure things are working as well as possible moving forward.
[quote]I honestly do not see the big problem here. Granted, I know many of us like to stay up to date with certain things, but Sibelius 5.1 and VDL work pretty darn good together, so just be patient. I am sure that some of us have had problems along the way, and all the guys here at Tapspace are trying to make sure we do not have the same ones later on down the road in 5.2. Lets just all be patient and enjoy what he have. If it aint broke dont fix it.[/quote]

Well put, I second that.
Login or Signup to post a comment