Lost ability to change instruments? And - where is sus cymbal?

I've been trying to learn my way around Sibelius 5.2 and VDL 2.5.1 - rough going, but I'm making some headway. Anyway, I've loaded up a score I was working on before I upgraded to Sib 5.2, and had things working fairly well this afternoon, but seem to have screwed something up.

I've got a staff dedicated to multiple aux. perc. instruments for one of the pit players in our show. I start with wind chimes, but can't change out of that sound to anything else (like brake drum). I make the instrument change in Sibelius, and it seems to be there, but the sound stays windchime. Do I need to send a midi command of some sort to change to a different channel that has the brake drum sound loaded? Really lost here - not sure what I did to change how this works, but it isn't working like it did this afternoon.

Also - I would like to add some suspended cymbal rolls on this same part, but don't see that as an instrument to be added - ??? I can load the sound in Kontakt, but don't know how to get that on the score.

Thanks for the help and your patience with a newb!
OK - started over with the template (even though I know it isn't working right with Sib 5.2 - only option I have right now). I see all the instruments (including sus cymbal) now - in the VDL 2.5 family. Got that part.

Still can't seem to switch instruments - isn't working to switch from windchimes to sus cymbal, for example. Sibelius makes the change, but I don't hear a change - actually the part goes silent there. Is this a problem with the 5.1 template or something I'm missing?

Thanks all!
Alright, alright - watch the videos, dummy. Got it. Found the notehead change info and now I can see how to create the different cymbal sounds, for example. I'm going to start over in the AM and see if I can get everything to work out. Getting better.

You may now ignore this entire thread. Thank you.
[quote author=Burkeman link=topic=2590.msg13773#msg13773 date=1215761556]
Alright, alright - watch the videos, dummy. Got it. Found the notehead change info and now I can see how to create the different cymbal sounds, for example. I'm going to start over in the AM and see if I can get everything to work out. Getting better.

You may now ignore this entire thread. Thank you.
[/quote]

It's too bad you can't give yourself karma for solving your own problem!  I'll hook up.  Let us know if you have any more issues and we'll help out as needed.

Gabe Cobas
Login or Signup to post a comment