Vibraphone Mallet Dampening

Hey guys,

How do ya'll notate a mallet dampening on the vibe staff? I found a little ";x"; in the symbol tool (";z";), but I've seen it done with an x that looks more narrow than a regular letter (like it was stretched). Did any of you create your own symbol?

And for extra credit...
Is it possible to get a mallet dampening to playback?

Thanks!
[quote author=Lydian9 link=topic=2653.msg14105#msg14105 date=1218418252]
I found a little ";x"; in the symbol tool (";z";)
[/quote]

That's exactly what I do. It seems like there are several ";x"; options there, too.

As for playback? Nope. But I'm looking forward to the day that technology is introduced!

ER
One way to approximate the mallet dampening in playback would be to lower the release controller in the VDL Vibraphone at these points (resulting in less ring). Obviously this imperfect, but it will dry things out a good bit. Release knob is assigned to midi controller 20. The range of this controller would be from 1 (driest) to 127 (most amount of ring/decay).
Just stumbled across this thread looking for similar information. I would suggest that, in many situations, lowering the release knob would be counter-productive in a situation where we are looking for correct playback of mallet dampening, since most situations involving mallet dampening involve one or more sustained notes ringing underneath a note that changes (e.g. a suspension that resolves). Decreasing the ring to a degree that means the damped note stops sounding would also mean the notes intended to ring would also stop sounding.

For correct playback this could be notated on two additional staves - one for the sustained notes and one for the damped notes, and disabling playback of the staff intended for notation.
Good point Joe. If playback were the primary goal (rather than notation accuracy), two channels would be a good answer. If this method is employed, using one of the PED vibraphones might also offer more control over when exactly the sustained sound should cut off. Since the sustain pedal (controller 64) controls this, you should be able to get a firm cutoff point for any notes ringing.

In situations where you need only certain ringing notes dampened while others sustain, setting up a PED vibraphone to ONLY handle notes that are to be dampened could give even more flexibility. Granted, this would be a pieced-together way of writing, but it's one way to achieve the desired audio effect. This would be pretty simple in a DAW environment.
And this is a little off the topic, but still related: When I've need to get a pretty legato sound but not at the expense of articulation (like solo vibe or vibe and piano or marimba stuff), I've set up two vibraphone staves and just set one to have the pedal wide open and one with the pedal closed. A really easy fix and 'voila' articulate vibes with a nice ring.
What about ";Rochambeaux's"; score ?

what did Mr. Mason use for his dampening notes ? and what about the recording ? was that a live deal or VDL based ?
Correct me if im wrong, But if your using sib cant you just make a boxed text and type in damp?
[quote author=Longwang link=topic=2653.msg17162#msg17162 date=1249088978]
Correct me if im wrong, But if your using sib cant you just make a boxed text and type in damp?
[/quote]

This topic pertains to [i]mallet dampening.[/i] In playing vibraphone, this is a different technique than using the pedal.
Right. Mallet dampening is when a player leaves the pedal down but dampens some of the ringing notes using mallet heads.
what about using dead strokes. I dunno of the correct term.

In theory, (this is probably completely wrong) couldn't you just use the x's from symbols ";z"; and then just type ~dead? isn't that a type of stroke you can use ?
[quote author=E. Cruickshank link=topic=2653.msg17174#msg17174 date=1249250726]
what about using dead strokes. I dunno of the correct term.

In theory, (this is probably completely wrong) couldn't you just use the x's from symbols ";z"; and then just type ~dead? isn't that a type of stroke you can use ?
[/quote]

Dead strokes are more closely related to dry or ";with no pedal.";  Mallet dampening allows the note to ring one at a time rather than having to dampen all of the notes at once with a pedal.
Login or Signup to post a comment