Web Designing

Thanks to the wonderful site discovered on this forum ([size=8pt][color=red]link removed[/color][/size]), it looks like Adobe CS4 is finally within reach!

Any of you guys out there use Dreamweaver for web design? If so, how was the learning curve on that puppy?
http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/0/404/RipOff0404969.htm

Google that site.  I'd be wary of purchasing from that, since many results say it's pirated and illegal versions.
That's just fan-frickin-tastic.

Thanks

Still have the question about Dreamweaver though for anybody out there:)
The link mentioned has been removed. I know it's easy to get excited about a seemingly good deal, but a few things to remember when it comes to software:

1 - When you purchase software, you're not actually [i]purchasing[/i] the software, but rather a [i]license[/i] to use it.

2 - Some software developers have OEM programs (original equipment manufacturer), but many do not. Sites like the one being mentioned earlier here often bill their businesses as legitimate by saying this is legal software with a discount due to OEM. They realize most people may not know what that means, but will often jump at the chance to make what they think is a legal purchase when the price is so reduced.

3 - If you've ";bought"; software that was delivered on a burned disk not from the manufacturer, and receive authorization/serial/license key in ways they don't normally use, you probably just paid for illegal software.

Oftentimes, you can file these in the ";too good to be true"; file. I don't want to say you may not find legitimate discounts on software, but a site like the one mentioned definitely doesn't appear credible. It's not really our job to say for sure, so if you want to pay them money for the same cracks many people pirate for free, that's your choice. But we can't condone it.

Thanks for your understanding.
[quote author=Jim Casella link=topic=2905.msg15354#msg15354 date=1231351423]
Oftentimes, you can file these in the ";too good to be true"; file.
[/quote]

Indeed. Jim the Wise speaks.

Ralph, with regards to Dreamweaver, that's one of those situations where the phrase ";your mileage may vary"; is very pertinent.  It's a powerful piece of software, but if the person using it knows little about web design/development, then it's kind of like handing four mallets to someone who's never even seen a keyboard. Not saying that is your case, but you can get a lot out of it if you want.  One thing it does do is help improve your work flow as it allows you to connect directly to your host environment and edit/update files with a few clicks once you've set up the FTP stuff for your site.

At one point I used Dreamweaver, but have gotten in the habit of just using a text editor like Notepad.  Anyhow, it is capable of building some high-powered websites, so you really get out what you put in.
I, too, have heard varying opinions on Dreamweaver. It can do nearly anything you'd want it to, but it can also be very confusing and end up eating a lot of your time. Kinda like if you wanted to cut up a banana into slices and instead of a knife you were given a 10-step food processor. I've never actually used the product myself but this is what the majority of those who have have told me.

If you run a Mac computer or have access to one, however, you can always use the free iWeb software to create a site. That's what I did and I've gotten very good reviews from friends and colleagues. If you'd like to visit it to see how it looks go to RLaneyPercussion.com. The iWeb software was also very intuitive and self-explanatory. I had to visit the Mac forums a few times for some obscure stuff, but it's actually a very intelligently designed program.
I emailed Adobe's Piracy Prevention department and asked them about the site. Got a reply pretty quick...

";Not legal... thanks.";

Plain and simple.

I'm SUCH A SUCKER!!! Does anyone have some oceanfront property in Arizona they want to sell?

Luckily I didn't buy anything yet. Sorry for polluting our forum:)
[quote author=RLaneyPerc link=topic=2905.msg15357#msg15357 date=1231356129]

If you run a Mac computer or have access to one, however, you can always use the free iWeb software to create a site.
[/quote]
Yeah, that's what I use already. I was just looking for something a little more powerful. It seems there have been a few too many times that I wanted to add say a graphic or an effect that iWeb simply can't do. I totally agree though, iWeb has been a fantastic introduction to web development!

I used Dreamweaver for a couple of years, not very well though.  I switched to iWeb and it's more of a dream than dreamweaver.  Can't wait for iLife '09.

Not to plug my own site, but I think it's a decent representation of what you can do [b]very[/b] easily in iWeb.  http://www.kentarnsbarger.com

Enjoy
[quote author=sonordrum link=topic=2905.msg15439#msg15439 date=1231905380]
Not to plug my own site, but I think it's a decent representation of what you can do [b]very[/b] easily in iWeb.  http://www.kentarnsbarger.com
[/quote]

Really nice, Kent! This makes me reconsider (yet again) whether I need to switch over to iWeb...

Really nice!
[quote author=erath link=topic=2905.msg15440#msg15440 date=1231907344]
[quote author=sonordrum link=topic=2905.msg15439#msg15439 date=1231905380]
[/quote]

Really nice, Kent! This makes me reconsider (yet again) whether I need to switch over to iWeb...

Really nice!
[/quote]

thank you very much.  I ned to spend some time on it as I have NONE!!  But it's working and people use it so I'm happy with it.  Sure beats paying big $ for a site.  My only complaint is iWeb sites seem to take a while to load.
Dreamweaver is overkill for most people.  It's designed to handle massive e-commerce sites, databases, server-side technology, etc.  If all you want to do is ";design"; a page, and you don't have iWeb on a Mac, you're probably better off downloading a free template that looks good, then adding in your own info.  You'll have a pro looking site with minimal work.  Just google ";free web templates.";

You might want to check out wordpress.org too.  It's a free and very customizable way of having a site.  It can be a pretty straightforward blog-based site, or any number of free add-ons.  Even a free blogspot account is good enough for most people that want a free site with a nice looking way to share photos, videos, etc. 
I'm a huge fan of wordpress.org. I use it for my personal site (chrisaleone.com) and drumfunny. If you go the wordpress.org route, you need an ftp client so you can upload the files (I like fetch and cyberduck). Once you pick a template to work off of (there are tons to choose from), you'll need some sort of code editor if you want to make the design your own. I use dreamweaver just because I already have it for work, but you can get away with a simple code editor.

The backend of wordpress is great. Very slick and easy to use. Plus the wordpress community is full of developers creating tons of cool plugins.
Chris,

So glad you mentioned Word Press.  I just used it on
our Alabama PAS website.  And I used Fetch as
my FTP program.  They, in tandem, are so
much easier than Dreamweaver.  Given my
novice level in web design and management,
I'll leave it to the more knowledgable of you to
offer if Dreamweaver is better capable of more
advanced design features, bells and whistles, etc.
If you want an easier way to do basic web work,
I vote for Word Press.

Assuming you use Firefox, you can get a lot of free add-ons.  FireFTP is a great FTP plugin that doesn't require you to run another program.  Also, Adblock Plus blocks all banner adds and reported unsafe stuff from showing up.  If I go to a site that has lots of ads, I just see empty space instead.
Login or Signup to post a comment