Copyright Permissions

Hey guys,

Got a client wanting to do some video game music for a marching show next season, and is having trouble finding copyright permission. I primarily do original works and haven't had to do that process for a while. Who do you guys use? CopyCat? BMI?

Thanks!
[quote author=Cadet311 link=topic=2989.msg15945#msg15945 date=1237908421]
A band I work with did a Les Mis show in 03 (or 04?).  Either way, Hal Leonard wrote us in 2007 saying the permissions weren't secure and were seeking money.  [/quote]

Hey, do you mean that they never got permission and marched it anyway? Or do you mean that they started the process and didn't follow through?
I don't think it is a matter of being ";tricky"; as it is being thorough and annoying.  I began toying with the idea of doing a La Villa Stangiato percussion ensemble for gits and shiggles.  I started looking into it based on information I found regarding securing copyrights and it just made my head hurt.

If someone else is going to know the correct way to do it and do it right, I'd rather pay them.

And on a personal note, it is very important to secure all rights and permissions.  A band I work with did a Les Mis show in 03 (or 04?).  Either way, Hal Leonard wrote us in 2007 saying the permissions weren't secure and were seeking money.  We also had to pull out all of the originals and scores, paste on information, copy and send back to them.  It was quite the pain in the tukus.
Does everybody pay for this service? Is is tricky to do this on your own?
I believe Copycat is ";THE"; name in the game.  I'm pretty sure if they can't get it for you, no one can.  Or so I'm told.
Login or Signup to post a comment