Suggestions for Future Versions of Virtual Drumline

To make it easier whenever the time may come, I've decided to add a sticky here for any suggestions for future updates/development of Virtual Drumline.

Currently on the wishlist:

[b][i]Instruments[/i][/b]
Coming soon...

[b][i]Features[/i][/b]
Coming Soon...
Minimum of 9 Bass Drums please. Actually, if a chromatic scale could be achieved it would be great. That way, we could choose how many basses and what pitches that we want them to be. Currently, with only 6 basses, if you want to use 3, 4, or 5 basses you can never have then equally spaced in pitch. Not to mention, bass 1 really isn't all that high, and bass 6 really isn't all that low. I realize that currently, it is only what Santa Clara used a few years ago, so it is true to their style, but those of us out here in Never-never Land would like to have a few more choices. I personally have a 10 inch bass drum that I created from a couple of old quad 10inch toms, so it really would be nice to reprocuce it with VDL, not that you'd ever get Santa Clara to carry one.

Warren
In the spirit of the super realism posts, we should just have a whole instrument called ";DCI finals";

Then not only could we have applause and guard sounds, but we could also include standard drum judge catch phrases like...

";Watch that entrance";
";Watch that release";
";Watch the left hand there";
";That roll was a little fuzzy";
";Wooooo!";
";Holy ----!";

In fact this instrument could also come with a special Sibelius/Finale plugin that waits for the softest most musically delicate part of your show, then inserts 'GOOO JOHN!!!!"; At the top of someone's lungs!
Add vocal ";dut"; sounds to TenorLine patches. ([url=https://www.tapspace.com/forums/index.php?topic=3694.0]Other discussion[/url])
I seem to remember Allan Kristensen standing in front of me throwing out a[i] ";man, that was krispy kritters, guys!"; [/i] back in '02. I seemed to think that was a positive comment at the time, but have often questioned its true meaning over the years.

[quote author=Charlie Nesmith link=topic=3133.msg19370#msg19370 date=1275266004]
In the spirit of the super realism posts, we should just have a whole instrument called ";DCI finals";

Then not only could we have applause and guard sounds, but we could also include standard drum judge catch phrases like...

";Watch that entrance";
";Watch that release";
";Watch the left hand there";
";That roll was a little fuzzy";
";Wooooo!";
";Holy ----!";

In fact this instrument could also come with a special Sibelius/Finale plugin that waits for the softest most musically delicate part of your show, then inserts 'GOOO JOHN!!!!"; At the top of someone's lungs!
[/quote]
It would be nice if the concert snare drum instrument contained a Rim Knock / Cross-stick sound. Currently one has to use the drumset snare drum for this sound.

It would also be nice if the Concert Snare and Drum Set snare had a stick shot sound (place the tip of one stick on the head and hit the shaft of that stick with the other stick).
[quote author=Joe link=topic=3133.msg19956#msg19956 date=1281286606]
It would be nice if the concert snare drum instrument contained a Rim Knock / Cross-stick sound. Currently one has to use the drumset snare drum for this sound.

It would also be nice if the Concert Snare and Drum Set snare had a stick shot sound (place the tip of one stick on the head and hit the shaft of that stick with the other stick).
[/quote]

Most definitely. These should be in there. I've added them to the list. Thanks Joe!
Hi Jim. Since you have a nice extensive list, do you have a projected date?
[quote author=Warren Barnett link=topic=3133.msg20132#msg20132 date=1284179441]
[/quote]

I don't.
[quote author=Jim Casella link=topic=3133.msg20133#msg20133 date=1284184931]
[quote author=Warren Barnett link=topic=3133.msg20132#msg20132 date=1284179441]
[/quote]

I don't.
[/quote]

Projected year?
[quote author=Warren Barnett link=topic=3133.msg20165#msg20165 date=1285046761]

Projected year?
[/quote]

We'll deliver news as it becomes available. Thanks for your enthusiasm!
[quote author=Bryan Harmsen link=topic=3133.msg19034#msg19034 date=1271906704]
I'd like some of the typical color guard sounds that find their way into the show and normally add to the musical effect in a way. Equipment sounds such as flags moving through the air as they spin at various speeds, flag catches, rifle and saber catches, and perhaps rifle drop spins.
[/quote]

I'll only be needing the sounds of these implements hitting the ground. And possibly something to emulate embarrassment and shrieking while running away from said implements.

";Band Director/Colorguard Instructor Facepalm"; would be a nice touch with this multi, as well.
[quote author=erath link=topic=3133.msg20169#msg20169 date=1285135182]
I'll only be needing the sounds of these implements hitting the ground. And possibly something to emulate embarrassment and shrieking while running away from said implements.

";Band Director/Colorguard Instructor Facepalm"; would be a nice touch with this multi, as well.
[/quote]

Ha, funny!

Sounds like you might be able to help procure the samples for the library.
Count me in for 9 basses...  I remedied it through a pitch shift, but you can only pitch up, of course.  :)

Also, I think the snare ";shot"; needs to be updated.  I've never felt that it sounded realistic.

That said, with all the samples I hear on TV anymore, it's hard to criticize.  Those tenors are absolutely golden and should never, ever be dropped.  Jim if you ever update the tenors, leave ";classic"; tenors behind!

And a +1 for top snare.  A really good Scot would be divine.
It would be nice if the concert tom instrument included rim sounds, at least for the stick implement (if not the mallet shaft as well).
Real Rope Drums. I noticed Field Drum, but does that mean it's a rope drum? Sounds similar. Also multiples as in a Rope Snareline. Also Rope Bass Drums, similarily in single and multiples. And throw in a fife or two (or 5) for good measure.
Login or Signup to post a comment