Suggestions for Future Versions of Virtual Drumline

To make it easier whenever the time may come, I've decided to add a sticky here for any suggestions for future updates/development of Virtual Drumline.

Currently on the wishlist:

[b][i]Instruments[/i][/b]
Coming soon...

[b][i]Features[/i][/b]
Coming Soon...
Please put in more bass drums. I'm not really sure if you can manipulate it to play 8, but that would be great.

Mike
Just adding as I'm in the middle of writing.  Don't know if these were listed yet, but will add to the list anyways;

Chain drop on box
Octobans
Udu
[quote author=MAXimum link=topic=3133.msg19040#msg19040 date=1272031431]
I was fooling around a bit last night with the Field Drum, which sounds great by the way. I wrote out an arrangement of British Grenadiers using the field drum along with East West Gold Picc lead and harmony. I used Auto Bass but just used the lowest one, as that would have been it for the time period. I was looking to see if there was a Field Bass that replicated animal skin drum with wood beaters. Am I missing it, or could this be done a different way, or could this be a future update. Keep up the great work!
[/quote]

I recently wrote a piece for the West Point Hellcats and had a similar predicament. This would be a good addition for a future update (added to the list), but in the meantime, I decided to use the Impact Drum patch and detune it a bit. It's a little dead, but seemed closest to the sound I was trying to replicate than any of the modern bassline instruments, plus I still had RH/LH control which was important to me. I actually didn't try Bryan's suggestions (Concert BD or Show Style Tenor). Those are good ideas as well.
[quote author=MAXimum link=topic=3133.msg19040#msg19040 date=1272031431]I was looking to see if there was a Field Bass that replicated animal skin drum with wood beaters. Am I missing it, or could this be done a different way, or could this be a future update. Keep up the great work!
[/quote]

You could always using the Concert Bass Drum patch, turn the Release knob down, and use the unmuffled staccato mallet hit.  Also, depending on what sound you're going for, you could use the Show Style Tenor and tune it down a bit to your liking.
I was fooling around a bit last night with the Field Drum, which sounds great by the way. I wrote out an arrangement of British Grenadiers using the field drum along with East West Gold Picc lead and harmony. I used Auto Bass but just used the lowest one, as that would have been it for the time period. I was looking to see if there was a Field Bass that replicated animal skin drum with wood beaters. Am I missing it, or could this be done a different way, or could this be a future update. Keep up the great work!
Gonna piggy back on Mike's suggestions here (who has a loaded system by the way).

Along the same train of thought of stadium sounds, I'd like some of the typical color guard sounds that find their way into the show and normally add to the musical effect in a way.  No, I'm not talking about the obnoxiously loud counting (i.e. ";5, 6, 7, &, OUT!!";).  Equipment sounds such as flags moving through the air as they spin at various speeds, flag catches, rifle and saber catches, and perhaps rifle drop spins.

This is definitely going for ultra-realism in recordings.
Ambient stadium crowd noise...crescendoed applause, immediate crowd reaction applause?
We have a maintenance update just about ready. Some of these suggestions will be included. Stay tuned for an update soon.
Hey Jim! Lots of great ideas here. When can we expect a new version or update with most, if not all of these features included?
Best Description in a video ever:

";Dat mane on dat tenor";
[quote author=Bryan Harmsen link=topic=3133.msg18583#msg18583 date=1265377430]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hCJlraLgQo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_OC4vJSVv4

That is all.
[/quote]

OUTstanding!!!
[quote author=Bryan Harmsen link=topic=3133.msg18583#msg18583 date=1265377430]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hCJlraLgQo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_OC4vJSVv4

That is all.
[/quote]

I love it! They're hired.
[quote author=Bryan Harmsen link=topic=3133.msg18371#msg18371 date=1262973424]
[quote author=perpetualpoet link=topic=3133.msg18370#msg18370 date=1262972910]
Actually I wouldn't mind a shaft on marimba bar sound for the full 5 octaves.

Are there marimba dead strokes in VDL 2.5? I'm not on the computer it's installed on to check the readme :)
[/quote]

The shaft on bar sounds do span 5 octaves.   And yes, dead strokes have been standard fare since VDL 2.
[/quote]

Sweet! Shows how often I use them :) I was just brainstorming,looks like I got beat to the punch long ago. Hehe. Maybe I should keep the readme on a thumbdrive too :)
[quote author=perpetualpoet link=topic=3133.msg18370#msg18370 date=1262972910]I'm not on the computer it's installed on to check the readme :)[/quote]I keep my template readme on my USB drive so that I can always look this stuff up whenever I want. :)
Login or Signup to post a comment