Suggestions for Future Versions of Virtual Drumline

To make it easier whenever the time may come, I've decided to add a sticky here for any suggestions for future updates/development of Virtual Drumline.

Currently on the wishlist:

[b][i]Instruments[/i][/b]
Coming soon...

[b][i]Features[/i][/b]
Coming Soon...
I was fooling around a bit last night with the Field Drum, which sounds great by the way. I wrote out an arrangement of British Grenadiers using the field drum along with East West Gold Picc lead and harmony. I used Auto Bass but just used the lowest one, as that would have been it for the time period. I was looking to see if there was a Field Bass that replicated animal skin drum with wood beaters. Am I missing it, or could this be done a different way, or could this be a future update. Keep up the great work!
[quote author=MAXimum link=topic=3133.msg19040#msg19040 date=1272031431]I was looking to see if there was a Field Bass that replicated animal skin drum with wood beaters. Am I missing it, or could this be done a different way, or could this be a future update. Keep up the great work!
[/quote]

You could always using the Concert Bass Drum patch, turn the Release knob down, and use the unmuffled staccato mallet hit.  Also, depending on what sound you're going for, you could use the Show Style Tenor and tune it down a bit to your liking.
[quote author=MAXimum link=topic=3133.msg19040#msg19040 date=1272031431]
I was fooling around a bit last night with the Field Drum, which sounds great by the way. I wrote out an arrangement of British Grenadiers using the field drum along with East West Gold Picc lead and harmony. I used Auto Bass but just used the lowest one, as that would have been it for the time period. I was looking to see if there was a Field Bass that replicated animal skin drum with wood beaters. Am I missing it, or could this be done a different way, or could this be a future update. Keep up the great work!
[/quote]

I recently wrote a piece for the West Point Hellcats and had a similar predicament. This would be a good addition for a future update (added to the list), but in the meantime, I decided to use the Impact Drum patch and detune it a bit. It's a little dead, but seemed closest to the sound I was trying to replicate than any of the modern bassline instruments, plus I still had RH/LH control which was important to me. I actually didn't try Bryan's suggestions (Concert BD or Show Style Tenor). Those are good ideas as well.
Just adding as I'm in the middle of writing.  Don't know if these were listed yet, but will add to the list anyways;

Chain drop on box
Octobans
Udu
Please put in more bass drums. I'm not really sure if you can manipulate it to play 8, but that would be great.

Mike
Minimum of 9 Bass Drums please. Actually, if a chromatic scale could be achieved it would be great. That way, we could choose how many basses and what pitches that we want them to be. Currently, with only 6 basses, if you want to use 3, 4, or 5 basses you can never have then equally spaced in pitch. Not to mention, bass 1 really isn't all that high, and bass 6 really isn't all that low. I realize that currently, it is only what Santa Clara used a few years ago, so it is true to their style, but those of us out here in Never-never Land would like to have a few more choices. I personally have a 10 inch bass drum that I created from a couple of old quad 10inch toms, so it really would be nice to reprocuce it with VDL, not that you'd ever get Santa Clara to carry one.

Warren
In the spirit of the super realism posts, we should just have a whole instrument called ";DCI finals";

Then not only could we have applause and guard sounds, but we could also include standard drum judge catch phrases like...

";Watch that entrance";
";Watch that release";
";Watch the left hand there";
";That roll was a little fuzzy";
";Wooooo!";
";Holy ----!";

In fact this instrument could also come with a special Sibelius/Finale plugin that waits for the softest most musically delicate part of your show, then inserts 'GOOO JOHN!!!!"; At the top of someone's lungs!
Add vocal ";dut"; sounds to TenorLine patches. ([url=https://www.tapspace.com/forums/index.php?topic=3694.0]Other discussion[/url])
I seem to remember Allan Kristensen standing in front of me throwing out a[i] ";man, that was krispy kritters, guys!"; [/i] back in '02. I seemed to think that was a positive comment at the time, but have often questioned its true meaning over the years.

[quote author=Charlie Nesmith link=topic=3133.msg19370#msg19370 date=1275266004]
In the spirit of the super realism posts, we should just have a whole instrument called ";DCI finals";

Then not only could we have applause and guard sounds, but we could also include standard drum judge catch phrases like...

";Watch that entrance";
";Watch that release";
";Watch the left hand there";
";That roll was a little fuzzy";
";Wooooo!";
";Holy ----!";

In fact this instrument could also come with a special Sibelius/Finale plugin that waits for the softest most musically delicate part of your show, then inserts 'GOOO JOHN!!!!"; At the top of someone's lungs!
[/quote]
It would be nice if the concert snare drum instrument contained a Rim Knock / Cross-stick sound. Currently one has to use the drumset snare drum for this sound.

It would also be nice if the Concert Snare and Drum Set snare had a stick shot sound (place the tip of one stick on the head and hit the shaft of that stick with the other stick).
[quote author=Joe link=topic=3133.msg19956#msg19956 date=1281286606]
It would be nice if the concert snare drum instrument contained a Rim Knock / Cross-stick sound. Currently one has to use the drumset snare drum for this sound.

It would also be nice if the Concert Snare and Drum Set snare had a stick shot sound (place the tip of one stick on the head and hit the shaft of that stick with the other stick).
[/quote]

Most definitely. These should be in there. I've added them to the list. Thanks Joe!
Hi Jim. Since you have a nice extensive list, do you have a projected date?
[quote author=Warren Barnett link=topic=3133.msg20132#msg20132 date=1284179441]
[/quote]

I don't.
[quote author=Jim Casella link=topic=3133.msg20133#msg20133 date=1284184931]
[quote author=Warren Barnett link=topic=3133.msg20132#msg20132 date=1284179441]
[/quote]

I don't.
[/quote]

Projected year?
[quote author=Warren Barnett link=topic=3133.msg20165#msg20165 date=1285046761]

Projected year?
[/quote]

We'll deliver news as it becomes available. Thanks for your enthusiasm!
Login or Signup to post a comment