Suggestions for Future Versions of Virtual Drumline

To make it easier whenever the time may come, I've decided to add a sticky here for any suggestions for future updates/development of Virtual Drumline.

Currently on the wishlist:

[b][i]Instruments[/i][/b]
Coming soon...

[b][i]Features[/i][/b]
Coming Soon...
Also, a China on top of a timpani sound.
I use Finale. We have synth sounds too but I was thinking of higher quality ones.
I use the combo all of the time (admittedly in Sibelius). It is a great feature.

There are many synth sounds built into Sibelius. Check out the options when selecting the ";Keyboard"; family of instruments (pads and leads). These play back through Essentials or Sibelius Player, not VDL.
I don't see the need for gong and bass drum combo. In Finale 2012, its volume is way too low, even after I adjust the MIDI velocities. I noticed when I use layers and put the concert bass drum and gong in separate layers, the volumes are way better.

Also, could you please add synthesizer sounds? The piano sound that currently comes with VDL is nice, but a lot of marching band and indoor drumlines use different synth sounds. I think a good sound would be sampled voices that sound like ";strings."; I don't know how else to explain it, but I have heard it in many marching compositions and they sound great. I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on other products just so I could have a couple synth sounds, so if VDL could expand on their piano/synth sounds, I think it would be very beneficial.

After what I am going through now, I would like to see an Installation Wizard that manages all of the variables of the system...Kontakt, VDL, and Sibelius to insure that the system works.  It should feel like you are installing 1 product instead of 3 or 4 and then juggling settings and locations for each in the hopes that it all works out.
This is going to sound boring compared to much of the above, but I think it would also be very practical from the user standpoint.  instead of having separate instruments for the different keyboard/mallet type combination, how about keyswitching the keyboard instruments so you can switch mallet type along a given staff.  It would greatly increase the flexibility with respect to both arranging and playback.

I have tried assigning the different mallet types of a keyboard instrument to different layers of a staff.  Its a reasonable workaround until you try to have two soft synth marimbas (for example) playing at different dynamic levels.

Sincerely hope this makes ";the list"; but I will continue to be a huge VDL fan no matter what.

Todd       
[quote author=dsleath link=topic=3133.msg20944#msg20944 date=1301788231]
As mentioned a couple of years ago, and excuse me if it has been mentioned in this topic already, but how about a Virtual Hornline.... I know.. a long stretch.... ;-)
[/quote]

Check out Fanfare. It's the blue devs hornline.
- Drumline: ";On metal"; for tenors; Offworld Invader v3 (just for fun)
- World percussion: Doumbek/Darbuka; Surdo
How about re-balancing the levels of the various instruments?

For example, I find that I typically have to turn the level of my tenor parts a few notches up, and the snares a couple down, to get a more accurate balance for my battery parts. Also, my sus. cym., concert bass, and gong dynamics all end up being written one dynamic louder than the rest of the group.

Admittedly, this may be something with my PC, audio balancing, headphones, personal taste, or something other than the library... but I thought it might be worth a mention.

I saw the Boston Symphony at Tanglewood last night, and they played selections from Carmen. On the last sustained note the tambourine player hit two tambourines together head-to-head, wrist-rolled them both (one in each hand), and then hit them together to end the piece. I would deem this the loudest possible tambourine roll. :)

Simulating this sound is possible currently in VDL with multiple staves and different tunings, but it might be nice to have easy-to-notate double tambourine strikes and rolls.
Anvils. Different sizes.

Warren
As mentioned a couple of years ago, and excuse me if it has been mentioned in this topic already, but how about a Virtual Hornline.... I know.. a long stretch.... ;-)
[quote author=Warren Barnett link=topic=3133.msg17821#msg17821 date=1257065834]

Speaking of cymbals, how about some larger ones in the CymbalLine. 22s and 24s are not unrealistic, and the ocassional corps goes for 30s for ocassional or fulltime effect (Conneticut Hurricanes as an example).

Warren Barnett
[/quote]

Always good to hear reference of the CT Hurricanes in a post being a member myself
Some things I would like:

This is a pretty long list.

More world percussion instruments, including:
tablas
udu drum
surdo
tamborim
pandeiro
a smaller taiko
cajon
doumbek (although I did see the thread on recreating doumbek sounds with the djembe)
frame drum
talking drum
cuica
at least 1 octave of tuned gongs

It'd also be cool to have more articulations on the concert snare (mainly different rim sounds), plus 1 or 2 other concert snares. I have seen instrument lists for libraries which have at least 5 different concert snares.

Similarly, more concert and roto toms, plus rim sounds on the concert toms. It'd also be cool to have the glissando effects like the ones for congas, but on concert toms too, at least I've heard it done before a few times. And rubbing fingers across the tom heads too.

More suspended cymbals! There are only three of them and while they're great many pieces call for more than three cymbals. I'm not talking about marching band shows where each mallet player has a cymbal and they play unison hits, I mean different cymbal parts. Plus it'd be nice to have a wider number of choices, like with the chinas. Speaking of the china cymbals, more articulations on them as well as the splashes (stick tips, shorter chokes, bell hits, brushes). I'd also like if the cymbals had hits and different scrapes with a triangle beater, and some bowed cymbals would be pretty cool too. Maybe some other effect cymbals, like the Sabian Ozone Crash, Zildjian Spiral Trash etc. There are lots of cool cymbals out there. Also it'd be nice to have at least one other ride for variety...

Lastly, effect instruments...
large singing bowl
water chimes (they sound a lot like classic chimes, but they're dipped in water)
at least one more brake drum (or anvil)
wind machine
spring drum
water gong
sandpaper blocks
lion's roar
bowed flexatone
Treeworks Zen Chimes
metal spring

Also I don't know if this is possible, but what about a bowed opera gong? That might produce a cool sound...
Bowed Cymbals. 

this is the only instrument I have needed that is not in VDL

Thanks
Rob
Login or Signup to post a comment