Echo Chimes sounds not loading

So.... I'm puzzled.
Im working in Sibelius 5.2.5 with the VDL 5.2.5 template (downloaded from tapspace), on my imac (leopard 10.5.4).  I am working in a fairly large score, and I am using 4 instances of KP2 (the first 2 are full, the 3rd is half way full) and one instance of sound essentials.

I am attempting to instert an instrument change (from wind gong to echo chimes), but for some reason the instrument sound wont load into KP2.  Whats even more odd is that every single one of my other instrument changes load perfectly, with the exception of the echo chimes.

So heres what Ive tried:

I opened up a blank 5.2.5 template and added a staff for echo chimes, the sound loads and plays perfectly.
-So I return to my score and try to add it in, and the sample wont load, and the note head prescribed for the echo chimes triggers a sound from Rack Combo A.

I returned to my 5.2.5 template and created a measure of rack combo A, and added an instrument change to echo chimes.  The sound plays back perfectly.
-I return to my score, input the instrument change, ...it does not load into KP2, and the note head triggers a sound from Rack Combo A.

In my score, I add the echo chimes onto their own staff.  The sound still doesnt load into KP2, but for some reason, even in its own staff, the sound automatically defaults to the same slot of the KP2 instance my Rack Combo A is in.

I manually loaded the echo chime instrument into KP2 (successfully), but then in Sibelius' mixer window, I cant select the particular slot in which I loaded the sample into.  (which in itself is odd)

What is even more confusing is that after experimenting with adding several instrument changes before and after the echo chime instrument change, they all loaded and performed perfectly...except for the echo chimes!

Ive purged the KP2 instruments, saved, closed, restarted, rebooted... nothing seems to make the echo chimes load, and no matter what staff I enter them into as an instrument change, it automatically triggers Rack Combo A sounds.

Im usually pretty good about figuring this stuff out for myself, but I surrender on this one.  There has to be something I'm missing...maybe fate is deciding that I shouldnt compose for echo chimes!

Ideas?

I used to have this problem on occasion when running larger scores. How much RAM do you have? Are you getting close to 1.5GB in Sibelius? If so, that might be your problem. Sibelius is not Large Address Aware (LAA), which simply means it's not able to see as much memory as you actually have. Most 32-bit programs suffer from this problem, unless they have been made LAA.

If you have Windows running on your Mac, you could try the following: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/64-bit-vista-gaming,2250-5.html

I did that for my new Sibelius 6 install and, as a result, I'm able to use up to about 2.5GB now in Sibelius. Not sure if there is a native solution for Macs, but that's what got me over that hurdle in Windows XP and Windows 7. You are describing a problem almost identical (with the exception of the specific instrument) to the problems I had. 
One other thing that may be causing your Echo Chimes to load the Rack A: Sibelius could have added some ";extra"; noteheads to the Echo Chimes mapping. If enough of them are added it could alter the instrument's definition to the point that Sibelius thinks it is something else altogether. The odds of this happening increase as the score gets larger - and it seems to occur to one out of a multiple of instruments when using a multiple of them on a staff (instrument changes).

Read these threads:

[url=https://www.tapspace.com/forums/index.php?topic=2879.msg15241#msg15241]https://www.tapspace.com/forums/index.php?topic=2879.msg15241#msg15241[/url]

Since you have so many KP2 instances in use, I recommend you reset your slot/channel assignments regardless of whether or not that is the cause of the Echo Chimes problem.

Keep us posted ...
Hey guys thanks for the replies!

I dont think its a RAM problem, since I have been able to succefully insert and execute many more instrument changes since my echo chime attempt. 

Im going to look in to the note head mapping later and see if theres anything funny going on.  However, if the note head mapping turns out to be the issue, then wouldnt it have effected the playback when I opened and played echo chimes successfully in a new score?  Or would Sibelius only mess with my note head mappings because of the larger score (meaning it only does that for the particualr file, not program-wide)?

btw, I just tried resetting all the slots, dumping the instruments, restarted... still didnt work :(
oddly enough, when I use other wind chime instruments it works fine.  Ill check the notehead mapping tonight and let you know what happened.

Thanks again!
[quote author=JRock51 link=topic=3202.msg16959#msg16959 date=1247447523]

Im going to look in to the note head mapping later and see if theres anything funny going on.  However, if the note head mapping turns out to be the issue, then wouldnt it have effected the playback when I opened and played echo chimes successfully in a new score?  Or would Sibelius only mess with my note head mappings because of the larger score (meaning it only does that for the particualr file, not program-wide)?

[/quote]

It is file specific.
Depending on your playback configuration and how many other VDL instruments are being loaded into your various active instances of KP2, it's possible you may have run out of available slots for loading new instruments. If that's the case, activating another instance of KP2 (assigned to the VDL 5.2.5 soundset) would create more room for loading more instruments.
I don't think it's the number of instances, since he has 4 running. But this is truly a strange problem, especially since it has happened to a number of people.

Hugh posted another fix for a similar solution a while back, and it seemed to do the trick for the guy who had the problem, just not sure what the source is. I do remember it being something about the origin of the problem arising some time after Sibelius had been running for quite some time.

The first time I experienced it was when I was also running a large score, and it was with a Concert Bass Drum that started defaulting to Rack Combo A. I've also had it happen with other instruments, so it doesn't seem specific to one or two instruments, but is a more global problem, found only deep in the underbelly of Sibelius.
So I checked the note head maps and everything appears to be in order, yet the echo chimes ain't loading.
Ive had multiple successful instrument changes before and after the e.chimes in the same and in different staves.  I guess Ill have to live without that sound unless someone can come up with a miracle fix!
Thanks!
Login or Signup to post a comment