difference???

what is the difference between snare auto RL and snare manual and snare manual lite and vdl1???
Great suggestion toddski! This is exactly why we included the ";Aux"; knob on the interface of each VDL instrument. It can add a great sense of dimension running your sounds through a bit of chorus or reverb. The dedicatee Aux knobs (or sliders) give you the ability to adjust the amount of send on an instrument-specific basis.
Commenting only on the snareline issue, I always route the snareline (and tenorline and cymbal line) to an auxiliary buss on the KP2 player and add a ";chorus"; effect to get a somewhat more robust sound, especially when arranging a full battery plus pit ensemble piece. 

Todd       
";i did read those. How do i get more of a snareline sound... right now it sounds like one snare. what do i need to change";

I find it interesting that when Tapspace setout to record the best drumline they could find that someone would complain that the samples all sound like only one drum. THAT'S THE GOAL OF A SNARELINE!!! If you don't like the sound, try using the solo snare, and you will hear what one drum sounds like. Then you will go back to the SnareLine. You might also try creating a second staff that uses one of the Solo snares, and have them playback together. Or create a 3rd staff using the other solo snare. Perhaps that will give you the fuller sound that you are looking for. You can also create additional staves and change the pitch, or the closeness to the centre or edge, or the volume that staff contributes to the entire sound. Get imaginative.

Warren
[quote author=fyg2000 link=topic=3465.msg19009#msg19009 date=1271612465]
When i try to use manual instruments (snare, tenor, bass) they usually come out as rim clicks for bass, the tenors sound like they only have 2 drums instead of 4, and the snare sounds extremely pingy. Is there a way to fix this? And when your typing in the sticking for a manual instrument, does it understand anything for both sticks hitting simultaneously?
Thanks
[/quote]

I would suggest you carefully check out the tutorial videos and spend some time reading the template ReadMe.
When i try to use manual instruments (snare, tenor, bass) they usually come out as rim clicks for bass, the tenors sound like they only have 2 drums instead of 4, and the snare sounds extremely pingy. Is there a way to fix this? And when your typing in the sticking for a manual instrument, does it understand anything for both sticks hitting simultaneously?
Thanks
Glad you finally got it worked out. Would you care to share with everyone what you did you get to get everything working?
I fixed everything. I have finally learned how to use this program. Thanks for all the help guys!!
Have you entered dynamics into your score or tried adjusting the levels?  Your cymbals are overbalanced.
The VDLite instruments that come with Finale 2010 are derived from the same samples that are in the full version of VDL 2.5. A drumline is usually comprised of at least a snareline, tenorline, bassline, and cymbals. If you're not writing separate parts for all those instruments on separate lines, it's not going to sound much like a drumline.

That audio demo you referred to sounds so distorted it's difficult to listen to. That's not very helpful. Hopefully that's not the sound you're trying to achieve.

Sorry. Other than the suggestion above, I'm just not understanding you. If you write in legible sentences, it would be easier to communicate.

yes i was referring to what came with finale 2010. here i like a sound that sounds like a drum line instead of one bass.  i would like it to be inbetween the two sounds check it out http://www.myspace.com/sofdrumline the first two clips GROOVE on the right...
Right. What do you mean by ";vdl lite."; Are these the instruments that come included with Finale? Or are you talking about the lite versions of snareline manual, etc?

In either regard, the sample data is largely the same, so you shouldn't be noticing huge discrepancies in the sound quality.
What exactly do you mean by ";settings";? When referring to VDL Lite, are you talking about the sounds that come with Finale?

Could you describe what it is about the sound you like, so perhaps we could point you in the right direction.
I like the sound of vdl lite. How can i get that sound but use vdl 2.5 is there somewhere i can look at those settings and try to match them??
Check out the keymap diagrams in your VDL User Guide. They'll show you the differences between the Manual, AutoRL, Solo, etc instruments. The snare section instruments [i]do[/i] have some solo hits mapped to certain keys, so it's possible those are what you're using. Check out those diagrams and you should see which notes to use to get the various sounds available.
As Jim mentioned in a previous post, the more information you can give us, the better.  For example, you need to also give a detailed description of how you entered the notes e.g. ";With MIDI keyboard, pressing and holding the the G#4 on the MIDI keyboard, then 4 on the row of numbers on my computer keyboard, etc."; Right now we're just shooting in the dark.

if it doesn't have a thick enough sound, you could try writing the same part in the Solo Mylar Snare to thicken up the sound.
Login or Signup to post a comment