Sus Cym Sound Difficulty

Since updating to Sibelius 6.1 I am not able to get short sus cym rolls.  I play the sounds on my midi controller and all rolls are the same length (not varied).  When I enter the note and change the notehead to match the keymap I get no sound at all.  I read another thread that had me create a sounds folder in Sibelius 6 and add the vdl6.xml to that folder.  I did this, and still have no luck.  I am using a Macbook Pro running Snow Leopard (OS 10.6).  I write the sus parts the way I want them to look to the performer with the notehead I use, and turn the play on pass off.  Then I have hidden staves that play the sus parts the way I want them to playback at the tempos I am using.  I just use the instruments themselves for the playback, and do not use an instrument change.  Any assistance would be much appreciated.
As it suggests in the Template Readme, are you using the 2 or 3 note tremolos, in combination to get the desired sounds?
See the attached image a visual representation. As far as the first issue goes, using the proper notehead in combination with the 2/3 note tremolos should fix that issue as well. 

Not sure why you would be hearing the same cymbal roll length for all keys triggered using your MIDI keyboard.  I don't think anyone has had that problem.  What keyboard are you using?
I use the correct notehead on the correct line for each instrument.  I am having the same problem on all three sus. cym. samples.  On the instrument staff I have never used tremolo lines.  It never shows up when I use the midi trigger, and I have never had that problem before.  I hide the sus. cym. staffs and double the part on another staff.  This is just because of how I like to see the part, and I want the sounds to come out the correct way when I make the recordings for the score, and the samples rolls would not always come out correctly or they would need to start on an odd sixteenth note.  I have used Sibelius for about 7 years, and VDL and VDLII around each public inception.  I am currently using a CME U-Key as well as a Korg Nano Key for my Midi triggers and have the same issue on each.  I usually am always able to solve the problem reading the forum, but this is the first time I have issues.  I didn't know if it was a new issue with Sibelius 6 or the new template etc.
As I mentioned in my previous post, need to make sure you're using the proper tremolo markings to get the desired sounds.

See the attached images for a visual reference.  These images are directly from pgs. 19 and 54 of the 6.0 Template.
Adding the tremolo lines allowed sound to now playback though I've never had to do that in the past, and I still have a problem regarding the length of the rolls.  When listening to older projects I am having the same issue on the playback of the sus. cym. sounds.  All the rolls are long where they were short before.  I have the mp3 recording of what was there previously, and now upon playback in Sibelius everything is long.  Even if I cut and paste everything into the new template I have the same issue.  However, this is true on new projects too.  My midi trigger plays all the three primary rolls at the same length which is the long version.  Is something in an incorrect folder?  Where could I find that information?  Would it help to run Spring Cleaning for Mac since I have had these sounds in each version of Sibelius?  Perhaps something didn't get copied correctly or too many versions?  Let me know what you can at your convenience.  Thanks for the assistance.
The tremolo lines thing was an addition in the Sib6 template, I believe.

Are you sure you're selecting the correct sound set with the corresponding template versions? Pgs. 83 and 84 in the template readme give an explanation of where to find this information in Sibelius and the template.

If you're using the correct sound set with the template file you're using (could be 5.1, 5.2, 5.2.5, or 6.0) then you shouldn't be having these issues.  If you report back that you have everything set up correctly and are still experiencing the same problem, I'll see what else we might be able to do to get your squared away.
Thank you so much.  I read those pages initially, but I must not have clicked save when changing that sound set as it was still listed as the 5.25 version.  I adjusted this, and that solved the problem.  Thanks again.
Glad to hear you got it figured out. Sometimes it just takes enough persistence and chipping away until you get to the heart of the issue.

Login or Signup to post a comment