VDL 2.5.2 Library Update - now available

After much work and analysis, we are pleased to announce that the [b]Virtual Drumline 2.5.2 library update[/b] is now available for registered users of VDL 2.5. In addition to numerous bug fixes and enhancements, this maintenance update adds some cool new combo instruments, plus full compatibility for versions 3 and 4 of Kontakt and Kontakt Player.

[b]Compatibility note:[/b] Using this library update requires a minimum of Kontakt Player version 2.2.4. If you're currently using library version 2.5.1, you're probably already using Kontakt Player v2.2.4. If you're using an older version of Kontakt Player 2, you should update to 2.5.1 first.

If you're using Kontakt Player 3 or greater, there is no need to update to 2.5.1 first.

[b]Installation Note:[/b] This is a ";drag and drop"; update. What this means is that you won't run an installer program to update your library. You'll simply replace a couple folders within your [i]Virtual Drumline 2.5[/i] library folder as outlined in the included ReadMe file. If you're the paranoid type, or ever wish to backtrack to v2.5.1 or 2.5 (not that you should need to), we recommend relocating your original [i]Library[/i] and [i]Multis[/i] folders in a safe location, rather than replacing them. It's important that you don't rename any of the files within the update package.

[i][url=https://www.tapspace.com/Downloads-Updates-p-2.html#VDL25Updates]Click here to go to the Download page.[/url][/i]

[hr]
[size=12pt][b]VDL 2.5.2 LIBRARY UPDATE - WHAT'S NEW[/b][/size]
[i]
• Now fully compatible with [b]Kontakt Player 3[/b] and [b]4[/b], as well as the full versions of [b]Kontakt 3[/b] and [b]4[/b].

• Added [b]Concert Band Combo[/b] instrument which includes the most common unpitched instruments found in the typical concert percussion section, all within one patch. (Located in ‘Combination Instruments’)

• Added [b]Cymbal Rack Combo (MW)[/b] instrument containing nearly every cymbal sound available within Virtual Drumline, all within one patch. (Located in ‘Combination Instruments’)

• Added [b]Triangles All (MW)[/b] instrument containing all triangle varieties within Virtual Drumline with ability to choose between polyphonic performance and single voice limitation. (Located in ‘Accessories/ Triangles’)

• Added [b]Log Drum (Auto RL)[/b] instrument using soft and hard mallets. (Located in ‘World Percussion’)

• [b]BD and Tam Tam Combo[/b] instrument now adds bass drum crescendo sounds.

• [b]Finale users[/b] now have the choice of loading instruments from a [b]Finale Specific Instruments[/b] collection. This collection contains all instruments of the VDL library, but they’ve been formatted to play at a louder volume level to compensate for Finale’s default volume settings which lowers the output of each loaded instrument. This will eliminate the need to uncheck the “Accept standard controllers for Volume and Pan” option in each instrument, and thus allows you to control the volume of your VDL instruments via the Finale mixer. [b]Finale Specific Instruments should only be used if you are hosting Kontakt Player within a VST/AU compatible version of Finale (2006 or greater)[/b].

• Due to a change in how Kontakt Player libraries are being encoded, the [b]Library version number[/b] is no longer accounted for in the Library field of the Library Info window. So while you’ll still see this window indicating the library version as 2.5.1 (try to ignore this!), the [b]true library version is now displayed at the root level of the Instruments folder[/b].

• Drumline Snare instruments now include a [b]Forte-Piano sustained buzz roll[/b] sound.

• A problem has been fixed where instruments would default to a short/cutoff release time.

• Any instruments with sustained sounds (i.e., marimba rolls, timpani rolls, concert snare rolls, etc.) can now control continuous volume via [b]Expression[/b] control (CC11).

• Balance is more natural between tenor ‘spock drums’ and the rest of tenor drums.

• China cymbals will no longer cut off if playing a secondary note.

• Chime scrapes are now velocity sensitive for better dynamic control.

• 20” Constantinople Suspended Cymbal now correctly plays back its short choke with a stick.

• Marching Bassline patches now have a more natural balance between solo and unison rim clicks and “sticks in” sounds.

• Higher velocities on tam tam hits are now a bit more aggressive.

• Fixed a problem where Bassline Manual instrument (not Lite) didn’t properly play LH Mute samples at lower dynamics when set to play with puffies.

• Concert Bass Drum now has more body and depth.

• Oriental Trash 18” now plays back with a consistent pitch on muted hits.

• Swish Knockers are now more sensitive to velocity dynamic control.

• Fixed a problem where Marimba Medium Rosewood instrument would sometimes make a clipped sound on the attacks of a few notes at higher volumes.

• 6” Abel Triangle rolls now release with a more natural sounding ring. Zil-Bell rolls will now continue indefinitely until note is released.
[/i]

[quote author=MAXimum link=topic=3592.msg18909#msg18909 date=1270428894]
The path was it! Thanks Jim.
[/quote]

Excellent. Glad to hear we found the culprit!
Still no 7 or 8 person marching bassline instrument?  Many collegiate lines have more than 5 bass.

Patrick Zampetti
Principal Instructor and Arranger
UVA Drum Line
I understand Patrick, and thanks for your patience. This is on our list of future updates.
Also, Patrick, there are 6 basses in the BassLine instruments, not 5.
If you want more than 6 basses, there are 2 ways to do it. Either:

Create 2 bass lines on two staves and use the Kontakt player to change the pitch on one of the two staves. You can assign each to different layers in Finale, but I don't believe that you could map to different positions on the staff.

Create a separate staff for each bass, and change the pitches appropriately. Depending on the features of your notation program, you can probably superimpose the staves. You would need to hide most of the rests, but you could do it with a bit of fiddling.

They ain't incredibly glamorous methods, but you could make it work until Tapspace comes out with 19 Bass Drums (I'm quite serious. I can supply a sample with 19 bass drum pitches).

Warren
Hey Guys,

I got the update, downloaded it and placed it in the right directory (Sibelius 5, Mac OSX). I replaced the folders in my sibelius software folder where the kontackt player looks for the sound files.

When I am open a new or old template 5.2.5 i cannot see any new instruments such as the Triangles all or the Concert band combo, but when I open the mixer and click the tabs under the VDL, I can pick the concert band combo.

I believe I should be able to see the instruments when I press the command I option and can select instruments inside the template. I am guessing this is a user error which it usually always is. But like I said before I believe from what you guys said about the update that we should be able to see the new instruments inside the instrument option choice. Again any ehlp would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Guys!
ucfsnare05 - it sounds like you may have gotten confused between Virtual Drumline and Sibelius. They're two different things. If you're updating to VDL 2.5.2, you need to place the update files into the VDL library folder (which doesn't have anything to do with Sibelius).

If you're on a Mac, this is most likely at:
[i]Macintosh HD>Applications>Tapspace>Virtual Drumline 2.5[/i]

Once you're there, you'll see the folder contains ";Instruments"; and ";Multis"; folders already. These are the folders you need to replace with the ones that come with the updater.
Thanks!

Woohooo!
Thanks for the updates, bugfixes, and additions, Tapspace. It's great to see a developer that is this responsive to the community and that continues to make VDL better and better on a regular basis.
OK...

So I had a hard drive crash on my MacBook and had to replace and start from scratch because I neglected to back up my data.  I know...that is fixed now.  I decided to go with the 2.5.2 Library update and thought I had it all worked out.  I was wrong.

I looked through previous forum posts and went over everything and apparently I am missing something.  I replaced the Instruments and Multis in the Virtual Drumline 2.5 folder.  I checked in Kontakt Player and it shows ";-VDL Library v2.5.2.nki.";

I thought I was home free.  I'm not.

I open my VDL 5.2.5 Sibelius Template (using Sib 5.2.5) and none of the new instruments or combos show up when I go to select Instruments.  I cannot figure this out.  Anyone have any ideas to help me out?  Thanks in advance!

Dimitri
Hi Dmitri,

Since the Sibelius 5.2.5 Template is a little older, the newer instruments introduced in the VDL 2.5.2 library update won't appear in there. In order to have them show up, the 5.2.5 soundset would have to be updated along with new percussion mappings, and all the development time went into the more current, Version 6.0a template for Sibelius. Since it can be time consuming, and fairly daunting to retroactively support older templates when the notation software advances pretty regularly, I'm not sure if we'll be adding these eventually or not. Being a very small company, it's made more sense for us to put energy into the more current versions rather than the older ones.

The good news is that the 2.5.2 VDL library will function just fine with your 5.2.5 template. It's just those couple new instruments you wouldn't have access to. If you're feeling adventurous, you could always customize the soundset and add those instruments yourself. Sibelius makes these things possible - it can just take some learning.
Well, that would explain that!  Thanks for the quick responses.  Would the 6.0a template work for me in Sib 5.2.5, or would I also need to upgrade to Sib 6?  Thanks again!

[quote author=Jim Casella link=topic=3592.msg19810#msg19810 date=1278980616]
Hi Dmitri,

Since the Sibelius 5.2.5 Template is a little older, the newer instruments introduced in the VDL 2.5.2 library update won't appear in there. In order to have them show up, the 5.2.5 soundset would have to be updated along with new percussion mappings, and all the development time went into the more current, Version 6.0a template for Sibelius. Since it can be time consuming, and fairly daunting to retroactively support older templates when the notation software advances pretty regularly, I'm not sure if we'll be adding these eventually or not. Being so small, it's made more sense for us to put energy into the more current versions rather than the older ones.

The good news is that the 2.5.2 VDL library will function just fine with your 5.2.5 template. It's just those couple new instruments you wouldn't have access to. If you're feeling adventurous, you could always customize the soundset and add those instruments yourself. Sibelius makes these things possible - it can just take some learning.

[/quote]
As it currently is, you can't open the 6.0a template in 5.2.5 due to the fact that Sibelius files are not backwards compatible -- meaning a file created in a newer version of Sibelius won't open in an older version.

However, I think you'll find that the ugrade to Sib 6 would be well worth the upgrade, with some of the new features that have been added since 5.
[quote author=Tapspace link=topic=3592.msg18857#msg18857 date=1270019278]
�ۢ Higher velocities on tam tam hits are now a bit more aggressive.
[/quote]
Just wanted to say, after scoring this year's pit parts - [i]I'll say![/i] I can finally hear that tam-tam hit over the full band at fff. Woohoo!
Hello folks.  I read in the update that you can modify the volume of a concert snare roll via CC11 text.  I tried this but I haven't gotten it to work yet.  I've got a half not with a p to f crescendo.  It has two tremolos on it.  I selected the half note and then went to Plug-ins --> Playback --> Cresc./Dim. Playback, chose 50 as lowest and 100 as highest, put a check in the CC11 box, chose ";over"; and hit ok.  The CC11 text appears above the note but when I playback the roll it's just a constant volume level instead of a crescendo.

I am running Sib 6.0, VDL 2.5.2, and the most recent template.  This is on a Win7 machine with 8GB of RAM, an SSD and a Sound Blaster X-Fi Notebook Soundcard.  I can't wait until their ASIO card comes out later this year...

I also did the obligatory searches but I didn't see anything that specifically addressed the concert snare crescendo buzz roll.

Thanks for any assistance you might be able to provide!

Rob
Login or Signup to post a comment