VDL 2.5.2 Library Update - now available

After much work and analysis, we are pleased to announce that the [b]Virtual Drumline 2.5.2 library update[/b] is now available for registered users of VDL 2.5. In addition to numerous bug fixes and enhancements, this maintenance update adds some cool new combo instruments, plus full compatibility for versions 3 and 4 of Kontakt and Kontakt Player.

[b]Compatibility note:[/b] Using this library update requires a minimum of Kontakt Player version 2.2.4. If you're currently using library version 2.5.1, you're probably already using Kontakt Player v2.2.4. If you're using an older version of Kontakt Player 2, you should update to 2.5.1 first.

If you're using Kontakt Player 3 or greater, there is no need to update to 2.5.1 first.

[b]Installation Note:[/b] This is a ";drag and drop"; update. What this means is that you won't run an installer program to update your library. You'll simply replace a couple folders within your [i]Virtual Drumline 2.5[/i] library folder as outlined in the included ReadMe file. If you're the paranoid type, or ever wish to backtrack to v2.5.1 or 2.5 (not that you should need to), we recommend relocating your original [i]Library[/i] and [i]Multis[/i] folders in a safe location, rather than replacing them. It's important that you don't rename any of the files within the update package.

[i][url=https://www.tapspace.com/Downloads-Updates-p-2.html#VDL25Updates]Click here to go to the Download page.[/url][/i]

[hr]
[size=12pt][b]VDL 2.5.2 LIBRARY UPDATE - WHAT'S NEW[/b][/size]
[i]
• Now fully compatible with [b]Kontakt Player 3[/b] and [b]4[/b], as well as the full versions of [b]Kontakt 3[/b] and [b]4[/b].

• Added [b]Concert Band Combo[/b] instrument which includes the most common unpitched instruments found in the typical concert percussion section, all within one patch. (Located in ‘Combination Instruments’)

• Added [b]Cymbal Rack Combo (MW)[/b] instrument containing nearly every cymbal sound available within Virtual Drumline, all within one patch. (Located in ‘Combination Instruments’)

• Added [b]Triangles All (MW)[/b] instrument containing all triangle varieties within Virtual Drumline with ability to choose between polyphonic performance and single voice limitation. (Located in ‘Accessories/ Triangles’)

• Added [b]Log Drum (Auto RL)[/b] instrument using soft and hard mallets. (Located in ‘World Percussion’)

• [b]BD and Tam Tam Combo[/b] instrument now adds bass drum crescendo sounds.

• [b]Finale users[/b] now have the choice of loading instruments from a [b]Finale Specific Instruments[/b] collection. This collection contains all instruments of the VDL library, but they’ve been formatted to play at a louder volume level to compensate for Finale’s default volume settings which lowers the output of each loaded instrument. This will eliminate the need to uncheck the “Accept standard controllers for Volume and Pan” option in each instrument, and thus allows you to control the volume of your VDL instruments via the Finale mixer. [b]Finale Specific Instruments should only be used if you are hosting Kontakt Player within a VST/AU compatible version of Finale (2006 or greater)[/b].

• Due to a change in how Kontakt Player libraries are being encoded, the [b]Library version number[/b] is no longer accounted for in the Library field of the Library Info window. So while you’ll still see this window indicating the library version as 2.5.1 (try to ignore this!), the [b]true library version is now displayed at the root level of the Instruments folder[/b].

• Drumline Snare instruments now include a [b]Forte-Piano sustained buzz roll[/b] sound.

• A problem has been fixed where instruments would default to a short/cutoff release time.

• Any instruments with sustained sounds (i.e., marimba rolls, timpani rolls, concert snare rolls, etc.) can now control continuous volume via [b]Expression[/b] control (CC11).

• Balance is more natural between tenor ‘spock drums’ and the rest of tenor drums.

• China cymbals will no longer cut off if playing a secondary note.

• Chime scrapes are now velocity sensitive for better dynamic control.

• 20” Constantinople Suspended Cymbal now correctly plays back its short choke with a stick.

• Marching Bassline patches now have a more natural balance between solo and unison rim clicks and “sticks in” sounds.

• Higher velocities on tam tam hits are now a bit more aggressive.

• Fixed a problem where Bassline Manual instrument (not Lite) didn’t properly play LH Mute samples at lower dynamics when set to play with puffies.

• Concert Bass Drum now has more body and depth.

• Oriental Trash 18” now plays back with a consistent pitch on muted hits.

• Swish Knockers are now more sensitive to velocity dynamic control.

• Fixed a problem where Marimba Medium Rosewood instrument would sometimes make a clipped sound on the attacks of a few notes at higher volumes.

• 6” Abel Triangle rolls now release with a more natural sounding ring. Zil-Bell rolls will now continue indefinitely until note is released.
[/i]

[quote author=robv link=topic=3592.msg20761#msg20761 date=1298259665]
Hello folks.  I read in the update that you can modify the volume of a concert snare roll via CC11 text.  I tried this but I haven't gotten it to work yet.  I've got a half not with a p to f crescendo.  It has two tremolos on it.  I selected the half note and then went to Plug-ins --> Playback --> Cresc./Dim. Playback, chose 50 as lowest and 100 as highest, put a check in the CC11 box, chose ";over"; and hit ok.  The CC11 text appears above the note but when I playback the roll it's just a constant volume level instead of a crescendo.

I am running Sib 6.0, VDL 2.5.2, and the most recent template.  This is on a Win7 machine with 8GB of RAM, an SSD and a Sound Blaster X-Fi Notebook Soundcard.  I can't wait until their ASIO card comes out later this year...

I also did the obligatory searches but I didn't see anything that specifically addressed the concert snare crescendo buzz roll.

Thanks for any assistance you might be able to provide!

Rob
[/quote]

Hi Rob,

Try selecting the entire measure (or measures) that contain the hairpin you're wanting to affect. I think that's what the Sibelius plugin is looking for, and if you've only selected the half note, it may not give you the continuous controller changes (horizontally) over time.

If you have ";View Hidden Objects"; selected, after running the plugin you should see a big string of those text bits appear above the staff rather than just one.
Thanks Jim.  I will give this a shot.  I know if I don't have the hairpin below the note it won't run the macro (gives an error).  Also, the hidden text did appear after I ran the macro if that info helps... I just didn't hear any changes.

Thank you!
[quote author=robv link=topic=3592.msg20764#msg20764 date=1298386131]
Thanks Jim.  I will give this a shot.  I know if I don't have the hairpin below the note it won't run the macro (gives an error).  Also, the hidden text did appear after I ran the macro if that info helps... I just didn't hear any changes.

Thank you!

[/quote]

Exactly. Since the hairpin extends horizontally, the plugin will analyze how far it extends and inject continuous controller changes for its whole duration. Otherwise, it won't know how quickly (or slowly) to change the values over time. Once you run it this way and look at how the controller messages change over time, you'll probably say ";aha!"; :)
Mister Jim,

Here's what I have (see attached) -- I'm still getting a constant volume on the roll and then it finishes the with the quarter note at full volume...  This is what I originally tried and it didn't work.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for all of your help!

Rob
Interesting. See all those hidden controller messages. Try zooming in on them and grab the FIRST and LAST ones and dragging them away from the rest (so you can read them). Let me know what they say.

Also, just confirming that you're using the 2.5.2 library. I know you mentioned this already, but it's worth double-checking. If you are, you should see an item at the top of your VDL list of instruments (in Kontakt Player) that says ";-VDL Library v2.5.2";

Another thing to try is to take that very first hidden controller message (assuming it's a ";C11"; message) and dragging it over to the left a little bit (before the roll starts).
Thanks for going above and beyond Jim, I know this is a grey area and kind of Sibelius issue too...

To answer your questions:

1.  ~C11,64 and ~C11,127

2.  Yes sir, on 2.5.2 (see attached)

3.  Also tried this but no change.

Thanks again, I appreciate your thoughts on this mystery!
Rob - If the lowest setting is 64, it may just not be low enough for the crescendo to be very noticeable. The Expression controller isn't exactly the same type of dynamic control as velocity. Try removing all those hidden controller changes (by selecting/deleting them), then re-run the plugin with a much lower value on the ";soft"; value (in the plugin). Perhaps like 20%, maybe even lower.

The expression controls in VDL are most reliably performed with a hardware controller, but manipulating it this way with the Sibelius plugin will still work with some manual trial and error. Playing with it via a hardware controller will give you a sense of how sensitive it is. In this case, even at its lowest setting, yo should hear some sound on the roll.

Hope this helps!
Thanks Jim.  Quick question, how would I do this with a hardware controller?

I [i]have [/i] successfully used the playback plugin in the past on other scores with other instruments -- it's weird that it's not working with this one thing.  If we can't get it dialed in it's ok, I also tried writing it out as 16th notes and you get the re-attack every note but it still gets the idea across. :)

Thanks again for all of your help, this one is a bit of a mystery!
Expression control only affects notes that are programmed to be sustaining. So if you ran the cres/dim plugin on those, you're most likely hearing the effects of velocities that are changing over time. A sustained note (on the other hand) is only ONE attack, so while it sustains, the expression controller would be one way to gradually change the volume over time.

A hardware controller is something you'd use if you were playing it in in real time. It may be possible to ";record"; those controller messages into Sibelius while it plays back. Obviously, you'll need a midi keyboard or other controller that has a knob or slider assigned to CC11 to do this.

Have you tried using 3 slashes on the half note? I'm grasping at straws a little without diving in a little further.

Also, try just entering the text [b]~C11,1[/b] where the roll begins (deleting all the other controller messages). Does the roll still sound like it's at regular volume, or does it get noticeably softer?
I do have midi keyboards (got the nano keys and the m-audio two octave one from you guys) but I hate to say that that starts getting over my head a little bit.  I did try all of your recommendations and still no luck.  I even tried deleting all of the other instruments from the score (in case it was some sort of capacity issue) and that didn't do it either...  ~C11,1 made it completely silent (which I am assuming is really barely audible).

I'm fine with chalking this one up as just a weird issue... unless you're OCD like me on stuff like this and [b]have[/b] to get to the bottom of it. ;D

I really appreciate the time you took to look into this, sorry we couldn't get it nailed down.  And sorry I hijacked this update thread and turned it into a tech support thread!
Rob- one last idea. Go into your properties window, and assign a live velocity of 127 to the note. I have a sneaking suspicion that the note is starting so soft that any change in volume is still not doing anything. In order to emulate the crescendo, you need the sustain volume to be at the maximum intensity, then turn it down from there. That's my only additional idea...

Thanks for pitching in Matt.  When I change the velocity of the half note to 127 in the properties window it just keeps the whole buzz roll loud even when I add the ~C11 text.  Bummer, but good idea and thanks again!

FWIW, I also checked the mixer there.  It [i]was [/i] saying that I was on a Rack Combo so I forced it over to concert snare and still the same thing happened, so that didn't change anything.
The fact that C11,1 made the quiet tells me that the controller is being properly invoked. So the experimentation of going from a smaller value up to a higher value (in the Plugin dynamic settings) may help make the crescendo more noticeable. Basically, just covering a larger span of low to high via the expression controller.

The default value of the Expression controller (C11) should be 127. So make sure the maximum ";loudness"; is set to the maximum value. (i.e. 100% or midi value of 127).
Good evening Jim,

I have tried doing several more things including:

1.  Deleting the ";Buzz roll..."; system text just in case that was messing with it
2.  Undoing the delete and then selecting that same text and unchecking ";Play on pass 1"; as per Murray and I discussed this weekend (not about this issue, just general Sibelius tips and tricks) at the NCPA show
3.  Putting a ~C11,127 in the beginning of the bar (this made the attack slightly louder but didn't change the lack of crescendo [hear/see attached])
4.  Re-running the macro and entering 0 for softest and 127 for loudest (have been doing 50 to 100 in the previous attempts)
5.  Changing the instrument assignment in the mixer to force it onto VDL concert snare instead of Rack Combo A
6.  Using a Z instead of tremolos (this achieves the dynamic change however it sounds like a million attacks rather than a sustained roll)
7.  Using 3 or 2 tremolos (same non-dynamic audio), with 1 tremolo I get 3 & 4 & 1 with the crescendo

All result in the same thing: a sustained buzz sound before the final accented release.  I've got a major case of the ";iduunos"; on this one.  Seems to be the audio, is there another place I need to verify the correct version of VDL samples besides in Kontakt?

Rob
Sorry to dig up an old topic, but the new method of updating the library (using the .ncu file) isn't working for me.  I just did a clean reinstall of the OS, then Sibelius 6.2 and VDL 2.5 with KP 2.2.4 were the first two things I installed.  This happened to me with Windows 7 and 10.7.1 Lion, so it must be a bug in my hardware setup.  The service center method of getting 2.5.1 works though. 

[img]http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/3262/errorfu.png[/img]

So anyways- could someone post the 'old' method of updating the library?  Thanks!
Login or Signup to post a comment