VDL 2.5.2 Library Update - now available

After much work and analysis, we are pleased to announce that the [b]Virtual Drumline 2.5.2 library update[/b] is now available for registered users of VDL 2.5. In addition to numerous bug fixes and enhancements, this maintenance update adds some cool new combo instruments, plus full compatibility for versions 3 and 4 of Kontakt and Kontakt Player.

[b]Compatibility note:[/b] Using this library update requires a minimum of Kontakt Player version 2.2.4. If you're currently using library version 2.5.1, you're probably already using Kontakt Player v2.2.4. If you're using an older version of Kontakt Player 2, you should update to 2.5.1 first.

If you're using Kontakt Player 3 or greater, there is no need to update to 2.5.1 first.

[b]Installation Note:[/b] This is a ";drag and drop"; update. What this means is that you won't run an installer program to update your library. You'll simply replace a couple folders within your [i]Virtual Drumline 2.5[/i] library folder as outlined in the included ReadMe file. If you're the paranoid type, or ever wish to backtrack to v2.5.1 or 2.5 (not that you should need to), we recommend relocating your original [i]Library[/i] and [i]Multis[/i] folders in a safe location, rather than replacing them. It's important that you don't rename any of the files within the update package.

[i][url=https://www.tapspace.com/Downloads-Updates-p-2.html#VDL25Updates]Click here to go to the Download page.[/url][/i]

[hr]
[size=12pt][b]VDL 2.5.2 LIBRARY UPDATE - WHAT'S NEW[/b][/size]
[i]
• Now fully compatible with [b]Kontakt Player 3[/b] and [b]4[/b], as well as the full versions of [b]Kontakt 3[/b] and [b]4[/b].

• Added [b]Concert Band Combo[/b] instrument which includes the most common unpitched instruments found in the typical concert percussion section, all within one patch. (Located in ‘Combination Instruments’)

• Added [b]Cymbal Rack Combo (MW)[/b] instrument containing nearly every cymbal sound available within Virtual Drumline, all within one patch. (Located in ‘Combination Instruments’)

• Added [b]Triangles All (MW)[/b] instrument containing all triangle varieties within Virtual Drumline with ability to choose between polyphonic performance and single voice limitation. (Located in ‘Accessories/ Triangles’)

• Added [b]Log Drum (Auto RL)[/b] instrument using soft and hard mallets. (Located in ‘World Percussion’)

• [b]BD and Tam Tam Combo[/b] instrument now adds bass drum crescendo sounds.

• [b]Finale users[/b] now have the choice of loading instruments from a [b]Finale Specific Instruments[/b] collection. This collection contains all instruments of the VDL library, but they’ve been formatted to play at a louder volume level to compensate for Finale’s default volume settings which lowers the output of each loaded instrument. This will eliminate the need to uncheck the “Accept standard controllers for Volume and Pan” option in each instrument, and thus allows you to control the volume of your VDL instruments via the Finale mixer. [b]Finale Specific Instruments should only be used if you are hosting Kontakt Player within a VST/AU compatible version of Finale (2006 or greater)[/b].

• Due to a change in how Kontakt Player libraries are being encoded, the [b]Library version number[/b] is no longer accounted for in the Library field of the Library Info window. So while you’ll still see this window indicating the library version as 2.5.1 (try to ignore this!), the [b]true library version is now displayed at the root level of the Instruments folder[/b].

• Drumline Snare instruments now include a [b]Forte-Piano sustained buzz roll[/b] sound.

• A problem has been fixed where instruments would default to a short/cutoff release time.

• Any instruments with sustained sounds (i.e., marimba rolls, timpani rolls, concert snare rolls, etc.) can now control continuous volume via [b]Expression[/b] control (CC11).

• Balance is more natural between tenor ‘spock drums’ and the rest of tenor drums.

• China cymbals will no longer cut off if playing a secondary note.

• Chime scrapes are now velocity sensitive for better dynamic control.

• 20” Constantinople Suspended Cymbal now correctly plays back its short choke with a stick.

• Marching Bassline patches now have a more natural balance between solo and unison rim clicks and “sticks in” sounds.

• Higher velocities on tam tam hits are now a bit more aggressive.

• Fixed a problem where Bassline Manual instrument (not Lite) didn’t properly play LH Mute samples at lower dynamics when set to play with puffies.

• Concert Bass Drum now has more body and depth.

• Oriental Trash 18” now plays back with a consistent pitch on muted hits.

• Swish Knockers are now more sensitive to velocity dynamic control.

• Fixed a problem where Marimba Medium Rosewood instrument would sometimes make a clipped sound on the attacks of a few notes at higher volumes.

• 6” Abel Triangle rolls now release with a more natural sounding ring. Zil-Bell rolls will now continue indefinitely until note is released.
[/i]

[quote author=J Mattson link=topic=3592.msg21731#msg21731 date=1319257989]
Sorry to dig up an old topic, but the new method of updating the library (using the .ncu file) isn't working for me.  I just did a clean reinstall of the OS, then Sibelius 6.2 and VDL 2.5 with KP 2.2.4 were the first two things I installed.  This happened to me with Windows 7 and 10.7.1 Lion, so it must be a bug in my hardware setup.  The service center method of getting 2.5.1 works though. 

So anyways- could someone post the 'old' method of updating the library?  Thanks!
[/quote]

Sorry for the trouble, Jesse. Haven't run into this before (other than when you were helping us test the ncu installer! :). I'll send you an email with some files that will enable a manual update for you.
[quote author=Jim Casella link=topic=3592.msg21736#msg21736 date=1319350886]
[quote author=J Mattson link=topic=3592.msg21731#msg21731 date=1319257989]
Sorry to dig up an old topic, but the new method of updating the library (using the .ncu file) isn't working for me.  I just did a clean reinstall of the OS, then Sibelius 6.2 and VDL 2.5 with KP 2.2.4 were the first two things I installed.  This happened to me with Windows 7 and 10.7.1 Lion, so it must be a bug in my hardware setup.  The service center method of getting 2.5.1 works though. 

So anyways- could someone post the 'old' method of updating the library?  Thanks!
[/quote]

Sorry for the trouble, Jesse. Haven't run into this before (other than when you were helping us test the ncu installer! :). I'll send you an email with some files that will enable a manual update for you.
[/quote]

If I could get those files that you sent to Jesse, that would be great.  I'm having a heck of a time getting VDL upgraded to 2.5.2.

Thanks,

Matt
Hi Matt,

Actually, since a few things have changed since this topic was first being discussed, here's what I'd recommend instead:

Use Kontakt Player 4 or 5. Doing this, you won't have to worry about running the 2.5.1 updater first.

If the .ncu isn't working for you, please fill out a [url=https://www.tapspace.com/pages.php?pageid=46]support ticket[/url] and I'll help get you up-and-running there if any files are needed. Thanks!
Login or Signup to post a comment