Lap top question

I've read the FAQ on lap top requirements and suggestions, and the system requirements for VDL 2.5.  

The VDL systemt requirements say pentium 4  2.4 ghz.  I want to know how that compares to a centrino core 2 duo 1.66 ghz.  I have looked both on the forum and google trying to find a comparison between the two but haven't been able to find anything beneficial.  Will I be able to run VDL on the centrino C2D 1.66?  I will be running this on Windows 7 once I upgrade my machine a bit.  I will be getting a 7200 RPM HD and more RAM.  Also, if it will run on the centrino how much RAM should I get?  I was thinking in the neighborhood of 4 or 6 gigs.

Thanks for the input

Luke
i felt that was the case (c2d being faster than pentium 4) but I just wasnt sure.  And yes I absolutely plan on getting the 64bit OS.  Thanks for the help!

Luke
[quote author=J Mattson link=topic=3598.msg18889#msg18889 date=1270230920]
32-bit limits to 3.5 GB, which is still enough for most people.
[/quote]

Thanks for the correction,  that's what I meant.
Any core 2 duo computer will be fine with 4 GB of RAM.  That can handle a full pit + battery worth of samples.  Even 1.6 GHz Core 2 Duo is significantly faster than a Pentium 4. 

32-bit limits to 3.5 GB, which is still enough for most people.
If you're wanting to utilize all of your RAM, in the long run you need to make sure you're getting the 64-bit version of Windows 7.  Otherwise, I believe the limit it 2.5 GB or something like that.  If you won't be loading that many sounds, then you won't have much to worry about in those regards.

I don't know much about the Centrino processors, but I'm sure someone else will be able to chime in and help you out there.
Login or Signup to post a comment