New Hybrid Hard Drive for Laptops

The Seagate Momentus XT is a new 500 GB 7200 rpm drive for laptops (or desktops with a 3.5"; adapter) that also includes 4 GB of solid state memory for your most often used files.  Most application load times are cut in half, or better, and it's faster than the 10k rpm raptor desktop drive.  This is the kind of drive that would most benefit people loading sample libraries, without paying for the high cost of a SSD drive (which are around $3 per GB)

I just ordered one from [url=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148591&cm_re=seagate_xt-_-22-148-591-_-Product]here for $130[/url].  I'll post some before/after speed tests when it gets here.
I bought a brand new MBP with one of these drives pre-installed on eBay. I have to say that I'm quite happy with it so far. I've been writing my school's band show using the full band and the multitude of percussion instruments in Sibelius and I've got not of the lag that I experienced a lot of the time on my previous Windows machines. This drive and the 8 GB of RAM are really worthwhile.

I have however read on the MacRumors forum that some people may have experienced issues with this drive depending on which version of the firmware is installed. Possibly some compatibility issues with SD26 of the firmware if you happen to get a drive with this version. I haven't seen a ton of info about it but maybe something for people to be aware of if they get one of these drives.

The Seagate website only shows SD25 as the current firmware so I'm wondering if they released some new drives installed with this firmware but have held off on releasing it as an update due to any known issues they might know of.
Is anything special needed for the install?
[quote author=Cadet311 link=topic=3704.msg21094#msg21094 date=1305486301]
Thanks guys.  Just got a new 2011 17"; MBP, just upgraded the Ram, installed Sib, VDL, Logic and a host of other things and now I want to upgrade this.
[/quote]

Isn't that the story of technology though?
Thanks guys.  Just got a new 2011 17"; MBP, just upgraded the Ram, installed Sib, VDL, Logic and a host of other things and now I want to upgrade this.

*shakes fist*
Yeah, at $99 that extra little zip you get is totally worth it.
Holy cow Bryan! You're right! I just rolled a 8 gig memory upgrade and HD upgrade in about 20min. And yes the Hybrid Drive is worth every penny!
It's a mid-2009 MBP which is one of the earlier unibody models. Did it myself, of course, and it was completely painless process.
Bryan
      Did you install the drive yourself and do you have the newest flavor of the MacBookPro or the older one? I upgraded my last HD, but wanted to know if you have done it on the new unibody. :-D Cheers!
Finally picked one of these up and wish I hadn't waited so long. This thing is lightning fast!

I just used Super Duper to clone the drive. It took almost half of a day to complete the switchover, but it's definitely worth the time.
I didn't import/clone/migrate old stuff- I like a clean slate.  That's just my personal thing though.  I was also updating several programs and wanted to be sure there were no lingering files taking up space or causing problems.

The solid state of this drive is more like RAM, and not a [i]permanent[/i] place for files.  I don't see how cloning or using time machine would be a problem.

Jesse-
Agreed. That's the only problem I could find online, so I knew it probably wasn't a big deal.

Another question- did you just clone your drive? or did you reinstall SL and then migrate from a Time Machine drive? I've heard that with a SSD, you shouldn't clone, but didn't know about the hybrids. Thanks!
[quote author=J Mattson link=topic=3704.msg19633#msg19633 date=1277020324]
I wouldn't use problems posted in forums, blaming ";whatever"; without any computer troubleshooting skill, as a basis for product purchases.  Look how often people have VDL ";problems"; and it's not related to VDL at all.
[/quote]

Step One: Is it plugged in?
No problems at all with 10.6.4.  I looked at the Seagate forum and it seems the problem is from something else related to the update, and not the drive. 

I wouldn't use problems posted in forums, blaming ";whatever"; without any computer troubleshooting skill, as a basis for product purchases.  Look how often people have VDL ";problems"; and it's not related to VDL at all.     

Just ordered one a few days ago... We'll see how it turns out!

Jesse-
Right after I ordered, I read some posts on Seagate's forum about a possible incompatibility between 10.6.4 and the XT. Are you having any problems? We have almost identical computers, so I'm making sure I'll be ok with it.
Yeah, last I checked a 500 GB SSD was $1,400+.  It's going to be a long time before they're mainstream.
Login or Signup to post a comment