Diddle sound quality very poor

I need some serious help

I just can't seem to figure out how to make diddles sound like REAL smooth diddles.  When I use AUTO Snare, they sound like unbalanced singles.  When I use Manual Snare, the right hand sounds REALLY heavy.

Can someone please explain how I can get the diddles to sound smooth and balanced?

I'm running:
Finale 2009
VDL 2.5.2
Mac OSX Leapord 10.6.3

Help!

Thanks in advance!
That's funny you say that because the Help menu in Finale has been the worst place for me to find answers.  Typically the main reult I get is, ";No Results Found";

I was thinking of something like a manual, with a table of contents, like a real book.  Ya know what I mean?

If there's one thing I have found that myself and most people have in common, is that the Help menu within Finale is useless.

There may be something on their website.  But it's unfortunate that I have to dig and search through internet forums to find answers.
Select [b]Table of Contents[/b] from the Help menu in Finale 2009.

Doing this will open the Finale User Manual locally in your web browser where you can do all sorts of learning. This document is dynamic, full of links, and quickly searchable. For most, this is far more efficient than a printed manual. Once it's open, I suggest clicking the ";Index"; tab (see photo).

If you must have a hard copy version of the manual, you may want to contact MakeMusic to see if they offer one for sale to registered users.
You could also print it out page by page, but even double-sided it would be enormous.

I think that you are looking for ";perfect"; rolls, but that is the whole point of Virtual Drumline. Right hands do not sound like left hands. That is what makes it sound so real. If you want that perfection, then just enter 32nd notes all with the same hand. Otherwise, go online, check out some drumlines on You-Tube, and you will find that even the most awesome lines sound right hand heavy. Back in the days when everybody drummed matched grip, it came close, but now everyone has gone back to traditional grip.

Warren
I'm very aware that there's a different sound from right to left.  But if you could hear what I'm hearing, you would understand.  There's an EXTREME difference between right and left hands.  Right hands are MUCH louder than the lefts.  I have yet to find a solution to this problem. 

I have decided however to FINALLY make the switch to Sibelius.  I have everything loaded and ready to try.  So far I'm REALLY confused on how to enter notes.  However this is probably due to the fact that I've been using Finale for years and I'm noticing Sibelius is VERY different.  Some things are opposite and some things require extra steps.  (which is sort of annoying)

The few things that I have written and played back do sound better though.  They still don't sound as good as all of those samples I hear all over this website.  I have a feeling there is some extra mixing going on or something.  Nothing I write, or anything the people I know write, tend to sound as realistic as what I hear on this website.  I wonder........
[b]Like any tools...[/b]

You can think of VDL, Finale, and Sibelius as a set of tools. Like any tool, the more familiar you become with them, the better your results will be. You wouldn't be able to take a router home from a hardware store and create beautiful molding and finish carpentry work without spending some time learning the features of that router. None of these VDL demos were created by people who opened the box, spent two days with it then sent in demos. However, VDL is [i]by far[/i] easier to use than the vast majority of the virtual instruments on the market, both in terms of integration in Finale/Sibelius and community support.

[b]Sibelius[/b]

Here is a link that I think you will find quite useful, as it will take you through the basics of using Sibelius, in one hour:
http://www.sibeliusblog.com/tutorials/learn-sibelius-6-in-one-hour/

Music Entry in Sibelius can be done in a number of ways:
• Select rhythm from keypad window and click on desired pitch. This is the most cumbersome, but most visually obvious
• Select measure where you want to enter music, press note name (A through G) on computer keyboard.
• Using a MIDI keyboard, select desired measures, select desired rhythm, press pitch/sound on MIDI keyboard

If you don't have access to a MIDI keyboard, the second method mentioned above, combined with applying the noteheads used in the [url=https://www.tapspace.com/VDL-Template-for-Sibelius-6-pr-95.html]Sibelius template[/url] (which you should be using if you're using the full version of VDL) would be the most efficient. In fact, I know people who prefer to enter music this way. You can choose your noteheads by either selecting them in the Windows> Properties > Notes area, or by holding down Alt+Shift (Opt+Shift on Mac) then type the notehead number using the number row on your keyboard.

A few other features you need to learn to use now that you are in Sibelius:
• Live Velocity
• Transform Live Playback

Learning to utilize those for your battery writing will transform your scores from what you seem to be describing into something with much greater definition and the musicality and evenness you would expect from VDL. Your Sibelius manual will go into much greater detail than I could on here without just copying straight from the manual.

Which things are you talking about that ";require extra steps";? Just curious.

Hope this gets you up and running!
Login or Signup to post a comment