What Brass Samples is evry one using

I have access to QLSO Gold, The light versions of Garritan Marching built into Sound Essentials, and JABB. Also have Advanced Orchestra. How and what are your best creations done to emulate a drum and bugle corps. Any techniques would be great. I also have Sonar 5.2 to do sequencing. Also have Kontakt 3.5 with previous version of VSL library that came with Kontakt 2. Thanks every one.
If you really only have 2GB of RAM then sticking to the Sound Essentials library would probably be your best bet. You'd need at least 4GB to run a full percussion score with a full wind section of the EWQLSO stuff. The VSL selections that come with Kontakt arewn't too bad either, and would provide a middle ground between the Essentials and SO libraries.
What if I write using light instruments from VDL, then render later with the East West stuff. I really like the East West samples and I am able to get pretty far on the 2gig using Kontakt. Just need some pointers or info if arrangers are layering, what kind of libraries are they using the most, just don't want it to sound too orchestral sounding. I know the East West has the ability to take away the release samples to dry it up a bit. Also have read that arrangers are using Project SAM. Was over at You Tube and found an individual (skershaw) that is using Finale with some great sounding mock ups. I messaged him about how he is doing this, but got no reply. He has a good representation of ";Georgia On My Mind"; 80 Spirit. I believe it could be Marching Band and Concert from Garritan. Would going to the full version of this sample library be better for me? 
I'm not impressed with Garritan brass sounds- I've complained before how a lot of it sounds like stock MIDI.  The Kontakt brass sounds much better in my opinion.  The solo instruments in the Gold library, laid on top of an ensemble sound, is a good path to take.  However, a good arrangement is a big part of a ";realistic"; recording too. 

A little sidenote- I know a film composer in LA who uses the Gold samples, and records herself playing Cello or Clarinet on top of the virtual instruments.  She pointed out to me that the human ear is fooled into thinking the entire ensemble is ";real"; when just one part of it is convincing enough.  She also can't play Cello very well live, and uses pitch correction plug-ins with remarkable results.

btw- the ";skershaw2000"; dude is a generally unpleasant internet bully who's been banned from most drum corps forums many times, with names like kirby4u, dakman, and others.  Don't hold your breath waiting for a helpful reply.
Thanks for the warning about skershaw2000, might just have to unsubscribe to his channel. I do agree that the Garritan stuff does sound a bit midi stock. I am not a brass player, but am just getting my head around a few techniques with brass sounds. Interesting idea about using an actual player over the top of the virtual one. Unfortunately, how do you find an individual for each section part? I have heard of using layers  from two different sample libraries to achieve the effect of fooling the ear into thinking it is real(EastWest combined with Advanced Orchestra).Just don't know if arrangers are using ensemble patches more than using solo patches then multiplying them by chorusing or physical multiples of solos.
Until someone makes a recording of a drum corps sized brass section, I don't think it's possible to replicate the sound using other methods.  Just like having 7 solo snare tracks doesn't sound like a snareline.  I could be wrong, but I don't think chorusing plug-ins will have a realistic effect either. 

The other problem with realism is the large number of techniques used from note to note by a brass player.  Sampling one note at a time might sound good- then put them in a bar of music, and the lack of realistic articulations becomes apparent.  Think of it like sampling a person saying individual words, then putting them together as a sentence- it won't 'flow' realistically.
[quote author=J Mattson link=topic=3733.msg19692#msg19692 date=1277828996]
The other problem with realism is the large number of techniques used from note to note by a brass player.  Sampling one note at a time might sound good- then put them in a bar of music, and the lack of realistic articulations becomes apparent.  Think of it like sampling a person saying individual words, then putting them together as a sentence- it won't 'flow' realistically.
[/quote]

Jesse, I think that point you made is really separates the decent libraries from the stellar ones. The new scripting they're using in those libraries is pretty mind-blowing. If I only had a good enough reason to buy them at this point :)
Jesse and Bryan, what libraries do you currently use?
For me, it depends on the environment I'm working in. I spend most of my time in Sibelius on my Macbook Pro, which is a powerful enough computer, but I prefer to use a slightly more lightweight library on a daily basis when just composing. In that case I use a mixture of the Vir2 VI.One library and the Sibelius Essentials sounds, which includes the Garritan Marching library.  I just recently purchased EWQLSO Platinum, so I'll be doing my final mockups that will go on my website and to clients with that. However, I'll spend more time working with those in Logic when in post production, so to speak.

The other reason I don't spend a huge amount of time with the EW stuff in Sibelius is due to the way the PLAY engine and Kontakt allocate memory within Sibelius, resulting in what seems like a constant fight between the two.  It causes Sibelius to function slightly below par for my taste. That might just be due to my limited setup, not sure.

Also, Jonathan Loving, who has created a large amount of Sibelius Soundsets, has created sound sets for VI.One, the Kontakt libraries, and many of the EW libraries.
You are right about how Sib and East West work with each other. Same problem for me but on a desktop with 2gig. I generally do the same thing then do the post productions in Sonar. I had ideas of bringing a mini corps into my studio to do sampling and create a structure similar to Advanced Orchestra. Only thing is I want the whole package, Bb and G Bugle. I have Ghost Riders close to me but can't seem to get a good contact.
[quote author=Bryan Harmsen link=topic=3733.msg19693#msg19693 date=1277829778]
Jesse, I think that point you made is really separates the decent libraries from the stellar ones...
[/quote]

I haven't been 'in the loop' lately regarding music technology.  What libraries are you referring to?

I built a computer for a guy who uses the Vienna symphonic stuff.  Playing around with it didn't sound that great to me, but maybe I had an older version, because the demos on their site are awesome.  Vienna MIR is reasonably priced for what it is.  There's a Rite of Spring demo that's seriously amazing.  [url=http://vsl.co.at/en/67/702/703/413.htm]Link Here.[/url]

The MIR version is PC only by the way.  Doh!
Yeah I heard that Rite of Spring demo years ago - amazing stuff!

The word on the street is the new string libraries (LASS and Hollywood Strings) are pretty amazing right out of the box. With the new advanced scriptIng and emphasis on legato and such, they keep getting closer and closer to providing people with great tools that work right out of the box.

The integration of well-programmed sound sets is also a plus when it comes to Sibelius integration. 
I have heard that East West is in the stages of doing a Hollywood Brass package like the strings. Just wish we had some true drum corps brass sounds. I notice someone here had talked about doing a corps in Chicago (Cavies) back in 2005, but I guess it didn't pan out. He was trying to format in Giga, but we now know what happened to that format.
Anyone try or have the new Garritan Marching Band 2?  Is it an upgrade from #1?
As I understand it, Garratan Concert/Marching Band 2 is simply their new ";Aria"; formatted version. The main difference is that the sounds would be the same as they are in the original Kontakt Player version.
Login or Signup to post a comment