Looking for shimedaiko sound in VST or AU to use in Sibelius 6

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a good shimedaiko (shimetaiko) to use in sibelius 6.
Anyone know any good ones out there?

Thanks for the help!
Kohei
Hey Kohei, good to see you on here!

It really depends on the level of authenticity you're going for and what your budget is. Here is an audio sample that I just made of the Conga Manual instrument in VDL, tuned up 2.0 in using the tuning knob in Kontakt (or Kontakt Player) and the EQ knob turned up all the way to 6.0db. It's not exactly authentic (nor is the evenness of the rhythms in playing the greatest), but tuning it up gives it a closer sound, and the EQ helps give the illusion that sticks are being used in instead of the mallets with which it was actually recorded. I'm using this in a show on which I'm working, and it's fitting the bill perfectly, without having to purchase any new libraries.

http://www.visaudiodesigns.com/audio/conga-shime-daiko.mp3

If you want something that's a straight up shime daiko and have some cash to burn, check out the -url=http://www.vir2.com/instruments/world-impact-global-percussion]Vir2 World Impact: Global Percussion Library[/url]. It's $399, but it sounds pretty darn good, and would serve as a good supplement to VDL's conservative world percussion representation. There's currently not a sound set for it, but Jonathan loving has created three other Vir2 sound sets, so maybe with a little bit of monetary influence, he'd produce one.

Hope this all helps!
The new Garritan World Instruments has a decent Taiko selection.  The Shime-daiko isn't too bad.
I second the World Impact library.  As Bryan said, the only downside is that there isn't a sound set for it yet.
I just picked up the Garritan World Instruments. Can't say that I've been too impressed so far, at least in terms of playability and depth.
[quote author=Bill link=topic=3898.msg20535#msg20535 date=1293743515]
I second the World Impact library.  As Bryan said, the only downside is that there isn't a sound set for it yet.
[/quote]

You can make your own. ;)

I do have plans to produce a template for that library. However, it's further down the priorities list at the moment.
Login or Signup to post a comment