Need help with midi mapping, still displays actual midi note (in orange)

I have all the recent upgrades (I think)...Finale 12c.r.13, VDL 2.5.5, NI Kontakt 5, TWS updated VDL template 2012a.1, running on a Macbook Pro v.10.9
I have until recently been using Finale 2010, VDL 2.5(.2) with no problems. I have only had these recent issues with Finale 11 & 12.

I have followed all the steps as far as installation and everything seems to be in order, sounds are there and everything plays back,
BUT my only issue so far is that when I input notes on the score, it displays the actual midi note (?), they're orange, and not on the staff position that is mapped...(i.e. snare R/L/R/L_shot-shot is on the F, A line above staff)

I've tried the score manager, Perc Midi Map, everything seems to be right but appears that I am missing a step or something...any help is greatly appreciated...Thank you!!!

Ted,

Again just wanted to say thank you so much for all your help in helping me figure out these issues. I know it took a great deal of time and I can't thank you enough for all your help, very much and deeply deeply appreciated!!!
Now I know I can call on someone who truly knows how to figure out what needs to be when these issues arise.

Thanks again, all the best...

Lee

...for anybody following this thread, Ted is the man!!!
My annoyance this morning with Finale is great.  So I seem to be having the same problems here.  I made a quick video (with my phone no less) about what's happening. [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDpD4kyER5I&feature=share&list=UUYwEO6mwXVNsazPRUvyoaRA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDpD4kyER5I&feature=share&list=UUYwEO6mwXVNsazPRUvyoaRA[/url]

So I found my original templates of FIN12_VDL255_ENSEMBLE_Template.mus but when I open this, it says the device is missing cause I was using Kontakt 4 (now 5).  So I can't really test it I guess.  On my new score (& mentioned template), it only shows the notes as ";custom";.  no note names are happening.

Finale '12 was re downloaded from their site last week.  VDL 2.5.5 was re downloaded from this site this week.  The score was this Falls show that I saved as a new file cause all the maps were exactly what I needed to work with on my indoor show.

Orange notes....never seen these before.  Was curious about these.....

Help?  I can post more videos of anything you want to see. 

thank you!!
First, I would review the Read Me file that came with the template package from The Write Score. This will help verify that all of the support documents are in the correct locations.

Second, the missing device message means that the template is looking for Kontakt 4 and can't find it in your system. Just set the device to Kontakt 5 and reload your instruments. This can be done through the Score Manager or the Audio/MIDI Menu.

The orange notes usually indicate that the XML files (Percussion MIDI Maps) selected don't match those selected for the Percussion Layouts. The Percussion MIDI Map column is on the far right side of the Score Manager in the top portion of the box. If you don't see it, look just below the top portion for the Customize button. This button will allow you to customize what you see in the top portion of the Score Manager.

Once these two items are correct, both the orange notes and the ";Custom #"; should disappear. Then you should see no orange notes and ";Note Name (Custom #)"; when entering notes.

Let  me know if this helps and if you have any other questions.
so it seems I've got it worked out.  I was looking around for the support files from the Writescore which I did not get them all put back into their respective folders upon re installing everything.  Sometime with the instructions from them on installing and sometime away from my computer - swearing I'd checked that 10x, was what seem to get it back to ";normal";.

Now I still have orange notes in my score that I wrote yesterday, but as long as it's working, I will NOT complain!

thanks so much!!
Glad to hear that some of it is now working. You didn't mention which OS and version of Finale you're running. That might help in finding the cause for the orange notes. One possible solution would be to trash your Finale preferences. Since you have mentioned reinstalling Finale, that preference file may have become corrupted.
hi,
I am having a similar problem.
When I try to load an instrument, only crotales and bells are showing.
Where is everything else, like snares tenors bass etc?
You aren't having a similar problem. I would suggest becoming familiar with the Kontakt interface and working with midi channel assignments.

To view other instruments, click back (use the little up facing arrow in the upper left corner above the list of instruments as shown in your screen shot) until you reach the top level of the VDL library.

With regards to hearing other instruments loaded in to Kontakt, you'll need to add additional midi instrument tracks in Logic. I'm not a Logic user, but the steps are easily found by reading the manual and reviewing any tutorials.
Login or Signup to post a comment