one-handed marimba rolls

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to the best way to notate a one-handed roll on marimba and have it sound natural in Sibelius.  I have a left hand independent part in the bass clef and the melody which i would liked rolled in the right hand.  Any help would be greatly appreciate it.  My set-up should be listed below.  Thanks. 

Keith 
Hi Keith,

Basically what you would want to do here is to notate the RH part as you'd like it to look. Then, in another layer (layer 4, for instance), notate the part as you'd like it to sound using whichever rhythmic values you'd like. The marimba instruments are programmed with alternating round-robin samples, so if you notate 32nd notes for the rolling hand (assuming that speed is appropriate at your tempo), this will sound reasonably realistic.

Once you have the layer 4 part written, ";hide"; that layer by first selecting only the layer 4 notes and then choosing to hide them. You can read up in the Sibelius documentation on how to hide elements in your score. It's quite easy.

The only drawback to this is that Sibelius will continue to reserve visual space for all those hidden extra notes, even though they won't show up in the printed part. Other than that, though, this technique works great when you have to have parts notated one way, but differently for playback purposes.

Hope this helps!
Hello,

Thanks for getting back to me on this.  I will try what you suggested!

Thanks,

Keith
[quote author=Murray Gusseck link=topic=4709.msg24217#msg24217 date=1397069092]
The only drawback to this is that Sibelius will continue to reserve visual space for all those hidden extra notes, even though they won't show up in the printed part. Other than that, though, this technique works great when you have to have parts notated one way, but differently for playback purposes.
[/quote]
And if this is really a deal breaker, you can create a staff for playback that is separate from the staff for notation, and then hide that staff.
Login or Signup to post a comment