Having trouble with the installer

I just bought VDL and am having trouble with the connect installer. I keep getting a message that the sonicwall gateway is blocking it. One time it got through, and my PC says the app can't run on this PC. HELP! I am so tired of midi drumline sounds and want to get my VDL going!
Jim,

I just got my internet hooked up and am having the same problem. I had a nice download going at 20mbps, then it just gave me the ERROR in part2, and re-downloaded it. Perhaps there is a problem with the download code that I was given? Is it possible to get a new one generated? Or is there something else that should be tried first.

Thanks,
Austin
Hi Austin,

So sorry for not replying to this sooner. I checked on the back end, and it looks like you were able to successfully install. Can you confirm this is correct?

Your download/install process certainly wasn't typical, but I apologize for all the extra hassle. Assuming you're good with the files, I'd recommend you make a backup of your VDL library (on a thumb drive, or maybe burning it to a disk) so you don't have to go to the trouble of downloading it again if you have any hardware issues or get a new computer in the future. That'll save you a ton of time!
Jim,

Thanks a ton for going that extra mile. Now I am having trouble getting Sibelius to recognize Kontakt. I think I may have put all the files in the wrong places, they are kind of scattered everywhere. I am not too familiar with the background parts of files and systems and such. Is there any way you can give me a quick step-by-step...";put this file here, move this folder here"; and so on? I think that is the problem, I just don't know how to solve it.

Austin

P.S. I feel like I should buy you lunch for all of this. Hahaha, so if you're ever in Milwaukee, let me know. Lunch is on me.
Have you checked out [url=https://www.tapspace.com/support/faq/index.php?action=artikel&cat=13&id=89&artlang=en]this FAQ[/url] yet? If you end up getting stuck with the installation, feel free to fill out a support ticket as well.

Thanks for the lunch offer. Mighty kind of ya! :)
Jim

I finally got this bad boy downloaded and installed, but I can't hear anything. (I know, issue after issue. I'll do 10 push-ups for it.) I have the player installed and it is recognized by Sibelius, but no sound.

Austin
Try this: Launch Kontakt in standalone mode (no Sibelius). Load a VDL instrument and try clicking on one of the blue onscreen keys. Do you hear sound then?
I do indeed hear sounds in the Kontakt player.
Great! Then your VDL installation is working correctly.

If you're not hearing sound when hosting Kontakt as a plugin within Sibelius, the first questions is: are you using a template from [url=http://www.thewritescore.com]The Write Score[/url]? If you're not sure what this means, [url=https://www.tapspace.com/support/faq/index.php?action=artikel&cat=13&id=107&artlang=en]read this article[/url].
I have the VDL SoundSet 7.0a set as my sound set. But still no sound. It gives me the error message ";File not found. Please make sure that external drives are connected!"; when I hit the test button on the Playback Devices menu in Sibelius.
This sounds like something to do with the way you have Sibelius set up. The ";file not found"; could have something to do with your Sibelius Sounds library (which has nothing to do with VDL), so maybe check into where (or if) that Sibelius library is stored. It's pretty large, so it's not inconceivable that you may have stored it on an external drive and if that external drive isn't connected you'll get that error.

Also, I wouldn't put much reliance on that TEST button within Sibelius's Playback Devices. With libraries that are external to Sibelius's built-in set of sounds, I don't know that that button will always produce sound - particularly if no instruments have been auto-loaded yet. It's probably a better test to load up a staff, assign a VDL formatted instrument from your template, let it auto-load, then try inputting some notes per the instructions that came with The Write Score template. It's possible everything's actually setup and working correctly, but because that Test button isn't terribly reliable, it's giving you the illusion that it's not working. The way Avid has structured their playback stuff in Sibelius is fairly finicky.
Ok, I will try that. Should the VDL files themselves be in the Avid folder? Or does it matter where they are at all?
I tried it and still no sound. I wonder if I just have all the files mixed up and in strange places? I don't have anything on an external drive, other than backups on a thumb drive.
Upon some looking in the user-guide. I noticed that the screen shot of the VDL folder on page 10 shows 2 of each of the .nkx files, but mine only has one of each.
Are you sure you're not mistaking the .nkc files for .nkx files? Once you've used the library for a while, you'll probably also see that several .nkc files start to appear in your library folder alongside the .nkx files.

If your library is correctly installed, you should have [b]four[/b] .nkx files (001, 002, 003, and 'info').

You can place your ";Virtual Drumline 2.5"; folder (your library) anywhere you like. Keep in mind though, if you move it after having added it to Kontakt, you'll probably need to remove it from Kontakt, then re-add it again so Kontakt doesn't get confused on where you've located it.

Furthermore, don't confuse your VDL library files with the files you purchased as part of your template from The Write Score. While they're designed to work together, they're two separate products and don't need to live together. Same for Sibelius and VDL. Or Sibelius and Kontakt. Or Kontakt and VDL. These are all separate things. You'll just be integrating them together once you're up and running.
Login or Signup to post a comment