We recognize that there are many grading systems out there. The classifying of skill/grade levels is not often a standardized practice and can vary by region. While very general, here is a rough guide to our skill level classifications:
- EASY (yellow cover): Elementary to middle school
- MED-EASY (green cover): Middle-school to early high school
- MEDIUM (blue cover): High school
- MED-ADVANCED (purple cover): Advanced high school to early college
- ADVANCED (red cover): Collegiate
We have a fair amount of experience in submitting our pieces to various state prescribed music lists (Texas, Missouri, and Florida, for example) as well as other grading rubrics, so we definitely have a high level of familiarity with what those organizations consider to be easy, intermediate, or advanced. This is something we keep in mind when assigning the level of difficulty to a new piece of music. We're also aware that the topic of grading is in itself quite subjective, which is why it's difficult to create a rubric that acts as a catch-all.